Officially support only the recent versions of Firefox, Safari, Edge, Chrome / Chromium browsers

continue the discussion from the RFC/dev section, couldn’t edit the original post: Officially support only the recent versions of Firefox and Google Chrome / Chromium browsers

and the last discussion about this topic: Drop browser support, deprecate PhantomJS

though since then a few things have changed:

More data about browsers usage statistics are available in 85+ Web Browser Market Share & Usage Statistics (Aug 2021)
and Outdated Browser - Update your Browser

This is currently Foreman’s browser support: Foreman :: Manual

Our suggestion is to support only the recent versions of Edge, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome / Chromium browsers.

As of today, I will be very surprised if Foreman still works on very old browsers,
This move is only to make it official, are there any concerns you can think about?

Thanks!

1 Like

Two points:

1. Unless you are including Edge under “Chromium”, it should definitely be included. Would be better to list it separately as well if possible.
  2. Not a requirement of mine, but what about Safari browser?

Happy to ditch older browsers though.

2 Likes

Added it to the title but forgot in the content itself, yes Edge which is based on chromium is definitely supported :smiley:

Actually looking again at Frequently Asked Questions | PatternFly they also support latest Safari

Updated the post, thanks again @Duncan_Innes ! good eye :+1:

I think we should support the LTS version of Firefox since this is included in RHEL.

Yes, I believe the recent versions of Edge, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome / Chromium browsers.

As I don’t see the conclusion here. @Ron_Lavi are we updating the browser support matrix from Foreman 3.2 or 3.3?

In both cases request to update the BrowserCompatibility and Deprecations section for nightly and/or 3.2?

This is now open for two weeks, been discussed in the demo and I found no concerns,
so let’s make Foreman 3.3 support officially the latest versions of Safari, Firefox, and Edge, Chrome / Chromium browsers.

RHEL includes Firefox ESR. Where to find release notes for Firefox for Enterprise | Firefox for Enterprise Help links to the release notes which says right now it’s Firefox 91. I think that’s important too.

1 Like

Opened PR in https://github.com/theforeman/theforeman.org/pull/1959

Thanks @ekohl for merging,
the website is now updated in manuals - nightly - Deprecations
and manuals - nightly - BrowserCompatibility