Organizations - role assignment?

Problem:
We have 2 organizations that we chose to separate into windows and linux.
Allowing each group to administer their respective hosts.
The problem is we are unable to assign a user rights to see all Linux hosts in their org unless we give admin rights.
When the user logs in they get no visible hosts.
We cloned org admin, and site admin but neither worked.

Expected outcome:
All Linux/Windows admin see their respective hosts in their organization and able to adminster.

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman version 1.19.1
Proxy version 1.17.1

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

foreman-tasks The goal of this plugin is to unify the way of showing task statuses across the Foreman instance. It defines Task model for keeping the information about the tasks and Lock for assigning the tasks to resources. The locking allows dealing with preventing multiple colliding tasks to be run on the same resource. It also optionally provides Dynflow infrastructure for using it for managing the tasks. Ivan Nečas 0.13.4
foreman_ansible Ansible integration with Foreman Daniel Lobato Garcia 2.2.9
foreman_memcache Adds memcache support to foreman Ohad Levy 0.1.1
foreman_remote_execution A plugin bringing remote execution to the Foreman, completing the config management functionality with remote management functionality. Foreman Remote Execution team 1.5.6
foreman_xen Provision and manage XEN Server from Foreman. Pavel Nemirovsky, Michal Piotrowski, and Avi Israeli 0.6.1

Other relevant data:
[e.g. logs from Foreman and/or the Proxy, modified templates, commands issued, etc]
(for logs, surround with three back-ticks to get proper formatting, e.g.)

logs

So let’s say you have a organizations Linux and Windows. You need to

1. clone Organization admin role, call it e.g. Linux org admin and assign organization Linux to it
  2. don’t forget also to assign Default Location (or whatever Location your hosts are assigned to) to it
  3. create a user linux_admin
  4. assign Linux organization to him
  5. assign Default Location (or whatever Location your hosts are assigned to)
  6. assign role Linux org admin to this user

repeat the same for Windows org. The process can be slightly improved by using user groups, but try this first in order to make sure it works in your use case.

Thank you Marek,
I had forgot to assign location to the user as well as the role.
Once i added the location to the user i was able to see the machines.
How can I do this with user groups instead of users?

Thank you

Sadly you can’t, organizations and locations needs to be added specifically to users. Adding them via user groups is quite complex, though I agree it would be great feature.