modules.

Officially Puppet 3 is already EOL since 1-1-2017. We also know that
both puppetlabs and voxpupuli (our only dependencies) are dropping
Puppet 3 support.

That said we also know that many of our users are still on Puppet 3 and
upgrading is hard for many.

My proposal is to deprecate using our modules with 1.15 and drop it in
master for 1.16. We can still keep Puppet 3 branches but they are on a
best-effort basis and no backwards incompatible changes.

Thoughts on this?

Sure, or sooner. I've no desire to maintain Puppet 3 support now as
it'll quickly become difficult to use the latest dependencies in the
next couple of months.

··· On 23/01/17 13:30, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote: > Officially Puppet 3 is already EOL since 1-1-2017. We also know that > both puppetlabs and voxpupuli (our only dependencies) are dropping > Puppet 3 support. > > That said we also know that many of our users are still on Puppet 3 and > upgrading is hard for many. > > My proposal is to deprecate using our modules with 1.15 and drop it in > master for 1.16.

Dominic Cleal
dominic@cleal.org

Sound reasonable to me

··· On 01/23, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote: > Hello all, > > We should come up with a plan for dropping Puppet 3 in our installer > modules. > > Officially Puppet 3 is already EOL since 1-1-2017. We also know that > both puppetlabs and voxpupuli (our only dependencies) are dropping > Puppet 3 support. > > That said we also know that many of our users are still on Puppet 3 and > upgrading is hard for many. > > My proposal is to deprecate using our modules with 1.15 and drop it in > master for 1.16. We can still keep Puppet 3 branches but they are on a > best-effort basis and no backwards incompatible changes. > > Thoughts on this?

Daniel Lobato Garcia

@dLobatog
blog.daniellobato.me
daniellobato.me

GPG: http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7A92D6DD38D6DE30
Keybase: https://keybase.io/elobato

Is there a Redmine issue or tracker related to dropping Puppet 3 support
that we can reference?

··· On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden < ewoud@kohlvanwijngaarden.nl> wrote:

Hello all,

We should come up with a plan for dropping Puppet 3 in our installer
modules.

Officially Puppet 3 is already EOL since 1-1-2017. We also know that
both puppetlabs and voxpupuli (our only dependencies) are dropping
Puppet 3 support.

That said we also know that many of our users are still on Puppet 3 and
upgrading is hard for many.

My proposal is to deprecate using our modules with 1.15 and drop it in
master for 1.16. We can still keep Puppet 3 branches but they are on a
best-effort basis and no backwards incompatible changes.

Thoughts on this?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Eric D. Helms
Red Hat Engineering

Not at the moment. As far as I know this is the first effort to
determine what should be done.

··· On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 09:31:10AM -0500, Eric D Helms wrote: > Is there a Redmine issue or tracker related to dropping Puppet 3 support > that we can reference? > > On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden < > ewoud@kohlvanwijngaarden.nl> wrote: > > > Hello all, > > > > We should come up with a plan for dropping Puppet 3 in our installer > > modules. > > > > Officially Puppet 3 is already EOL since 1-1-2017. We also know that > > both puppetlabs and voxpupuli (our only dependencies) are dropping > > Puppet 3 support. > > > > That said we also know that many of our users are still on Puppet 3 and > > upgrading is hard for many. > > > > My proposal is to deprecate using our modules with 1.15 and drop it in > > master for 1.16. We can still keep Puppet 3 branches but they are on a > > best-effort basis and no backwards incompatible changes. > > > > Thoughts on this? > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "foreman-dev" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > > > -- > Eric D. Helms > Red Hat Engineering > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Tracker #18471: Drop Puppet 3 support (installer modules) - Installer - Foreman is now open to track this.

··· On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 05:27:25PM +0100, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote: > Not at the moment. As far as I know this is the first effort to > determine what should be done. > > On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 09:31:10AM -0500, Eric D Helms wrote: > > Is there a Redmine issue or tracker related to dropping Puppet 3 support > > that we can reference? > > > > On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden < > > ewoud@kohlvanwijngaarden.nl> wrote: > > > > > Hello all, > > > > > > We should come up with a plan for dropping Puppet 3 in our installer > > > modules. > > > > > > Officially Puppet 3 is already EOL since 1-1-2017. We also know that > > > both puppetlabs and voxpupuli (our only dependencies) are dropping > > > Puppet 3 support. > > > > > > That said we also know that many of our users are still on Puppet 3 and > > > upgrading is hard for many. > > > > > > My proposal is to deprecate using our modules with 1.15 and drop it in > > > master for 1.16. We can still keep Puppet 3 branches but they are on a > > > best-effort basis and no backwards incompatible changes. > > > > > > Thoughts on this?