Hello Foreman - users,
I recently forked Dmitry Kireev's wimaging to a new project I call wimaging-ng.
wimaging-ng a set of scripts to prepare WIM images and templates for Foreman to provision Windows hosts.
Except for the boot process official Microsoft deployment tools are used; most notably
All relevant configuration files like
unattend.xml are rendered by Foreman and downloaded at build time.
I have wimaging-ng currently in production deploying Windows 8.1/2012r2. I tested it with a variety of different
hardware at my disposal. The Config files I use for Windows8.1/WinPE are supplied.
Feel free to try it out!
Please open bugs and RFEs directly in GitHub.
Also, I am happy to assist; you can reach me on Gitter if you are near CEST or mail me directly (though I prefer to open
- Linux style installation using
- No extra servers like WDS needed - all relevant settings can be configured in Foreman directly
- Official Mircosoft utilities are used for all relevant setup stages making it easy to add (future) operating systems
- Driver installation during build time
- Support for localization settings (like time zone, locale, UI language)
- Optional domain join including target OU
- Optional local user creation
- Support for Foreman's root password using Base64 encoding
- Optional software installation and user tasks at the end of the build (like installing puppet ect)
For those of you who know wimaging, the main differences include the removal of SMB server, adding the rewriting the
Foreman templates (and adding them), support for root_pass, overall streamlining, revamp of the docs.
Ultimately, I think this will be merged back to wimaging again given Dmitry's and my time.
Currently, I've not tested Windows 7; and most likely will never test 32bit arch. Later, Windows 10/2016 will be
integrated. Also, since we are dealing with propitiatory software, a lot of things like locating the correct drivers
need to be done manually. People familiar with WDS basically know this procedure.
···-- Daniel Helgenberger m box bewegtbild GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767