Puppet 6 support?

Hmm, kk…
Where do I get the 1.22+ installer? Then I would try it to install on my VM…

At this point it doesn’t exist. You can try the nightly builds, for example using https://yum.theforeman.org/nightly/el7/x86_64/foreman-release.rpm

Ah, thanks… But is there also a nightly build for Debian / Ubuntun 16.04 available?

Okay, I’ve found this:

https://deb.theforeman.org/pool/xenial/nightly/f/foreman-installer/

Is it right and which installer of this can I use?

https://deb.theforeman.org/ has some instructions.

Related: we should fix it because it includes stable, which hasn’t been updated in a while since we tell users they should use explicit versions.

I have Foreman 1.22 (20190410) running on Ubuntu 18.04 and so far it plays well with Puppet 6, but I cannot import classes from ‘/etc/puppetlabs/code/modules’ and Puppet won’t let me install modules in ‘/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules’. Shouldn’t I be able to import classes from the global modules directory?

Foreman (technically the Proxy) queries the Puppet REST API for classes. That means you should ensure Puppet loads the correct directories for an environment.

First check the modulepath setting. You can use puppet to print the value:

# puppet config print modulepath
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules:/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/common:/etc/puppetlabs/code/modules:/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/modules:/usr/share/puppet/modules

That’s the directories it should be searching for.

When you say it won’t let you install modules, do you have a specific error message?

puppet config print modulepath

show me:
/home/XY/.puppetlabs/etc/code/modules:/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/modules

So that’s off. It didn’t throw an error message, but simply installed into‘/etc/puppetlabs/code/modules’ instead. Funny that the path is not mentioned above.

UPDATE:
It only gets more confusing. Got to look into it a little deeper. After updating the nightlies and rebooting (and maybe some other actions) all module are now in `/home/XY/.puppetlabs/etc/code/modules’. I’m 100% positive that they were in ‘/etc/puppetlabs/code/modules’ before.

Note that you should run it as root. I followed the old convention of prefixing it with # instead of $.

My bad. I guess my concentration went down in the last few hours ^^ I got the following which seems fine to me:
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules:/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/common:/etc/puppetlabs/code/modules:/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/modules:/usr/share/puppet/modules

Now it installs the modules correctly. Thank you for giving me the right hint.

I performed a whole new installation of foreman 1.22 on Debian 9 Stretch and I observe the following:
On every MS Windows System I can generate a certificate and I’m also able to sign it with foreman, but then:

PS C:\Windows\system32> puppet agent -t
Info: Caching certificate for win7-sv-vm.i.local
Error: Could not request certificate: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: certificate verify failed: [self signed certificate in certificate chain for /CN=Puppet Root CA: f2445f7cee6f88]
Exiting; failed to retrieve certificate and waitforcert is disabled

I wasn’t able to find help online. NTP is active and the master server runs just fine.

Have you had a look at the the CA signing docs? Is there a request at all?

https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/6.4/install_agents.html#concept-7662

I get the request on the server after I entered " puppet agent -t" on the node. I’m also able to sign it, but no matter if I sign it with “puppetserver ca sign” or foreman I end up getting the error mentioned above. The clients will be listed in Puppet CA in foreman, but they do not show up under All Hosts. And I really don’t know where to look when I get “self signed certificate in certificate chain”.

That sounds more like a Puppet specific issue. Have you tried reaching out to them?

I did not, but I guess I should. It could have been a bug in the 1.22 nightly installer that set everything up, but since I’m the only one encountering this issue I’ll have a look at what puppet 6 does or if there are other problems in the network. Thanks for your help so far.

Update: The Windows Agent Installer was outdated (it’s called “latest” but there are three different “latest” so I will go with version numbers from now on). After re-installation “puppet agent -t” runs fine everytime, but I still cannot see the nodes unter All Hosts in foreman. Can you please tell me where foreman looks for the hosts? The Puppet-CA lists them as valid in foreman and via cli ( puppetserver ca list --all)

1 Like

My bad (again). I looked for a specific organization only… changing the view to include all was enough to solve the problem. Sorry for bothering.