Question about Statistics perhaps related to issue #8043

Hi,
Today I upgrade from 1.6.3 to 1.7.2. I had been wanting to upgrade to
1.7 previously, but decided to wait because I was a victim of #8366.
Anyway, we're trying to build up some compliance reports and I'm running
into trouble (even in 1.7.2) that sounds related to #8043. Perhaps it's a
new bug, but I wanted to here what folks impressions are before filing.

Here's the situation…

1. OS Distribution shows three sections of "Oracle Linux …" 34%, 23%, and
    2%.
  2. Clicking one such slice produces 0 hosts when searching for
    os.title="Oracle Linux …"
  3. Previously in Foreman 1.6.3 the search was for os.description="Oracle
    Linux …" which had the same result.

I have provided an album of screen shots via G+:
https://plus.google.com/photos/105327828729026800537/albums/6109091489730694625

I'm guessing this is more about the length of the title, but it seems like
a bug to search for the tool-tip shortened text with an ellipses as a
literal instead of the full title making up the statistic.

Thoughts?

> Hi,
> Today I upgrade from 1.6.3 to 1.7.2. I had been wanting to upgrade to
> 1.7 previously, but decided to wait because I was a victim of #8366.
> Anyway, we're trying to build up some compliance reports and I'm running
> into trouble (even in 1.7.2) that sounds related to #8043. Perhaps it's a
> new bug, but I wanted to here what folks impressions are before filing.
>
> Here's the situation…
>
> 1. OS Distribution shows three sections of "Oracle Linux …" 34%, 23%,
> and 2%.
> 2. Clicking one such slice produces 0 hosts when searching for
> os.title="Oracle Linux …"
> 3. Previously in Foreman 1.6.3 the search was for os.description="Oracle
> Linux …" which had the same result.
>
> Are you in a context of an Org / Location when searching?

Ohad

··· On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Sean Alderman wrote:

I have provided an album of screen shots via G+:
https://plus.google.com/photos/105327828729026800537/albums/6109091489730694625

I’m guessing this is more about the length of the title, but it seems like
a bug to search for the tool-tip shortened text with an ellipses as a
literal instead of the full title making up the statistic.

Thoughts?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Foreman users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Ohad, Thanks for the reply. At the time of taking those screen shots
Orgs/Locs had not been enabled, ever. I have since enabled and setup Orgs
and Locs today and am trying to filter through my 200+ hosts and assign
them appropriately - what a pain! :slight_smile:

··· On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 2:20:41 PM UTC-5, ohad wrote: > > > > On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Sean Alderman > wrote: > >> Hi, >> Today I upgrade from 1.6.3 to 1.7.2. I had been wanting to upgrade to >> 1.7 previously, but decided to wait because I was a victim of #8366. >> Anyway, we're trying to build up some compliance reports and I'm running >> into trouble (even in 1.7.2) that sounds related to #8043. Perhaps it's a >> new bug, but I wanted to here what folks impressions are before filing. >> >> Here's the situation... >> >> 1. OS Distribution shows three sections of "Oracle Linux ..." 34%, 23%, >> and 2%. >> 2. Clicking one such slice produces 0 hosts when searching for >> os.title="Oracle Linux ..." >> 3. Previously in Foreman 1.6.3 the search was for os.description="Oracle >> Linux ..." which had the same result. >> >> Are you in a context of an Org / Location when searching? > > Ohad > >> I have provided an album of screen shots via G+: >> https://plus.google.com/photos/105327828729026800537/albums/6109091489730694625 >> >> I'm guessing this is more about the length of the title, but it seems >> like a bug to search for the tool-tip shortened text with an ellipses as a >> literal instead of the full title making up the statistic. >> >> Thoughts? >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "Foreman users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to foreman-user...@googlegroups.com . >> To post to this group, send email to forema...@googlegroups.com >> . >> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > >

Anymore thoughts on whether I should file a bug on this or if this is
something I need to fix in my configuration?

Also, for Ohad's question, I have completed the Org/Loc assignments for all
hosts and the behavior is the same regardless of which org/loc the
statistic report is generated for.

··· On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 4:21:22 PM UTC-5, Sean Alderman wrote: > > Hi Ohad, Thanks for the reply. At the time of taking those screen shots > Orgs/Locs had not been enabled, ever. I have since enabled and setup Orgs > and Locs today and am trying to filter through my 200+ hosts and assign > them appropriately - what a pain! :) > > > > On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 2:20:41 PM UTC-5, ohad wrote: >> >> >> >> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Sean Alderman >> wrote: >> >>> Hi, >>> Today I upgrade from 1.6.3 to 1.7.2. I had been wanting to upgrade to >>> 1.7 previously, but decided to wait because I was a victim of #8366. >>> Anyway, we're trying to build up some compliance reports and I'm running >>> into trouble (even in 1.7.2) that sounds related to #8043. Perhaps it's a >>> new bug, but I wanted to here what folks impressions are before filing. >>> >>> Here's the situation... >>> >>> 1. OS Distribution shows three sections of "Oracle Linux ..." 34%, 23%, >>> and 2%. >>> 2. Clicking one such slice produces 0 hosts when searching for >>> os.title="Oracle Linux ..." >>> 3. Previously in Foreman 1.6.3 the search was for >>> os.description="Oracle Linux ..." which had the same result. >>> >>> Are you in a context of an Org / Location when searching? >> >> Ohad >> >>> I have provided an album of screen shots via G+: >>> https://plus.google.com/photos/105327828729026800537/albums/6109091489730694625 >>> >>> I'm guessing this is more about the length of the title, but it seems >>> like a bug to search for the tool-tip shortened text with an ellipses as a >>> literal instead of the full title making up the statistic. >>> >>> Thoughts? >>> >>> -- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "Foreman users" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> an email to foreman-user...@googlegroups.com. >>> To post to this group, send email to forema...@googlegroups.com. >>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>> >> >>

I'm seeing the same thing. The search, OS Distribution, from the
statistics page isn't using a fact but something that is put into the
database when the host is created, probably based on a fact but not
sure. Number of CPUs search has also a problem. Searches for "x cores"
but the word "cores" isn't part of the fact so it never finds the
servers :frowning:
For the former the item it searches for is on Host page in the
Properties block.

Regards,

Joop

··· On 30-1-2015 16:59, Sean Alderman wrote: > Anymore thoughts on whether I should file a bug on this or if this is > something I need to fix in my configuration? > > Also, for Ohad's question, I have completed the Org/Loc assignments > for all hosts and the behavior is the same regardless of which org/loc > the statistic report is generated for.

Thanks for the corroboration. I will file a bug report and we'll see where
it goes.

··· On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 3:12:50 AM UTC-5, jvandewege wrote: > > On 30-1-2015 16:59, Sean Alderman wrote: > > Anymore thoughts on whether I should file a bug on this or if this is > > something I need to fix in my configuration? > > > > Also, for Ohad's question, I have completed the Org/Loc assignments > > for all hosts and the behavior is the same regardless of which org/loc > > the statistic report is generated for. > I'm seeing the same thing. The search, OS Distribution, from the > statistics page isn't using a fact but something that is put into the > database when the host is created, probably based on a fact but not > sure. Number of CPUs search has also a problem. Searches for "x cores" > but the word "cores" isn't part of the fact so it never finds the > servers :-( > For the former the item it searches for is on Host page in the > Properties block. > > Regards, > > Joop > > >

Actually, looking at the CPU count issue you brought up, I find that, at
least in 1.7.2, that clicking a cpu count stat produces a valid search on
"facts.processorcount = X" which for me returns results. I am still filing
a bug on the OS Distribution Search

··· On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 3:12:50 AM UTC-5, jvandewege wrote: > > On 30-1-2015 16:59, Sean Alderman wrote: > > Anymore thoughts on whether I should file a bug on this or if this is > > something I need to fix in my configuration? > > > > Also, for Ohad's question, I have completed the Org/Loc assignments > > for all hosts and the behavior is the same regardless of which org/loc > > the statistic report is generated for. > I'm seeing the same thing. The search, OS Distribution, from the > statistics page isn't using a fact but something that is put into the > database when the host is created, probably based on a fact but not > sure. Number of CPUs search has also a problem. Searches for "x cores" > but the word "cores" isn't part of the fact so it never finds the > servers :-( > For the former the item it searches for is on Host page in the > Properties block. > > Regards, > > Joop > > >

Bug #9190: OS Distribution statistic produces invalid search queries - Foreman filed.

··· On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 11:26:12 AM UTC-5, Sean Alderman wrote: > > Actually, looking at the CPU count issue you brought up, I find that, at > least in 1.7.2, that clicking a cpu count stat produces a valid search on > "facts.processorcount = X" which for me returns results. I am still filing > a bug on the OS Distribution Search > > On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 3:12:50 AM UTC-5, jvandewege wrote: >> >> On 30-1-2015 16:59, Sean Alderman wrote: >> > Anymore thoughts on whether I should file a bug on this or if this is >> > something I need to fix in my configuration? >> > >> > Also, for Ohad's question, I have completed the Org/Loc assignments >> > for all hosts and the behavior is the same regardless of which org/loc >> > the statistic report is generated for. >> I'm seeing the same thing. The search, OS Distribution, from the >> statistics page isn't using a fact but something that is put into the >> database when the host is created, probably based on a fact but not >> sure. Number of CPUs search has also a problem. Searches for "x cores" >> but the word "cores" isn't part of the fact so it never finds the >> servers :-( >> For the former the item it searches for is on Host page in the >> Properties block. >> >> Regards, >> >> Joop >> >> >>