Question on upgrading from Katello 4.2.1 to Katello 4.2.2

Greetings,

First of all I would like to say that in our testing of Katello 4.2 and Foreman 3.0 our proxy sync issues have been solved. We did this as a fresh install and still need to get all of our content and clients moved over but this is very encouraging.

Problem: I would like to verify with the community that when the time comes for us to upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 all we need to do is a yum upgrade

Expected outcome: I couldn’t find any documentation for doing a minor upgrade and just would like to verify this is all one needs to do in order to upgrade from 4.2.x to 4.2.x

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

root@katello04-> rpm -qa | egrep -i “foreman|katello” | egrep -v -i “ras”
katello-certs-tools-2.8.0-1.el7.noarch
foreman-selinux-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
katello-common-4.2.1-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-hammer_cli_foreman_remote_execution-0.2.2-1.fm3_0.el7.noarch
foreman-service-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
rubygem-foreman_maintain-0.8.10-1.el7.noarch
katello-default-ca-1.0-1.noarch
foreman-cli-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-hammer_cli_katello-1.1.2-1.el7.noarch
foreman-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-installer-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
katello-repos-4.2.1-1.el7.noarch
katello-4.2.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-proxy-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-hammer_cli_foreman-3.0.0-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-hammer_cli_foreman_tasks-0.0.16-1.fm3_0.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman_puppet-1.0.5-1.fm3_0.el7.noarch
foreman-postgresql-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman-tasks-5.1.0-1.fm3_0.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-katello-4.2.1-1.el7.noarch
katello-selinux-4.0.2-1.el7.noarch
foreman-release-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-dynflow-sidekiq-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-installer-katello-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
katello-debug-4.2.1-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman_remote_execution-4.7.0-1.fm3_0.el7.noarch
katello-client-bootstrap-1.7.7-1.el7.noarch
katello-server-ca-1.0-1.noarch
foreman-debug-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-hammer_cli_foreman_puppet-0.0.3-1.fm3_0.el7.noarch

Distribution and version: CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)

Thank you,

Eledor

I would always stop all foreman services and run foreman-installer after any update. It happened in the past that there were some database migration necessary for a minor update and foreman-installer does take care of this (and everything else).

1 Like

This. Bugfix updates can include all kinds of fixes, including for errors in DB schema, configuration errors or whatnot. I would recomend to always run foreman-installer after updating Foreman, no matter how minor the version difference was. The installer should handle all potential problems for you.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info @gvde && @areyus.

Have a nice weekend

Oh , just me being a paranoid old sysadmin here, if you run foreman-installer over the top of your existing config it keeps all your settings, content, hosts, etc right? Meaning it doesn’t wipe everything and install over the top?

Running foreman-installer will not wipe any data inside your Foreman. The only thing it will override is config files you edited.
In case you are really paranoid (or unsure if you changed any config files), you can run foreman-installer with the flags -v --noop, that will print out all changes the installer would apply without making any actual changes (see here for reference)

w00t! Thanks @areyus!