Really Basic Dummy Questions - Sorry

Problem:
I am quite new to all this.
I have been tasked with building a whole new Foreman (Puppet /Ansible/other bits) environment with a view to replacing our slightly out of date current system.
I started reading the install instructions.
Is there a “Best Practices” system diagram with machines and flow, so I can get it right first time rather than build a bit and then have to unpick the mess and start again each time I find a new hurdle.

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I am not proud - I will accept any constructive help :slight_smile:

Expected outcome:
I will have built a working, reliable and “easy to keep up to date” system, suitable for an enterprise, for provisioning “On Prem” Linux AND Cloud instances ( if possible ).

Foreman and Proxy versions:
None yet
Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
None yet
Other relevant data:
[e.g. logs from Foreman and/or the Proxy, modified templates, commands issued, etc]

I do not think such a diagram exists because of every environment differs to much in components used. From my experience it is very important to find the most easy to use and possible way of provisioning (in my opinion PXE, DNS and DHCP on Linux and the Compute Resource corresponding to your virtualization/cloud platform).

Not really a diagram, but if you don’t mind a bit of reading and the Foreman manual is not enough, I’d recommend the Red Hat Satellite 6.3 Provisioning Guide. It’s free and as far as I know it’s the closest thing to “best practices” guide we have.

1 Like

Alternatively, there are also a number of videos on our media page which go into some of the basics - just in case the manual isn’t making sense and yo want a different take on it.

Welcome to the community btw!