Removal of Ruby 1.8.7 in Puppet module tests

I'm updating the Travis CI matrix for our puppet-* repositories in
https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-installer-modulesync/pull/40.

This includes a proposed removal of Ruby 1.8.7 tests from master (only),
matching the majority of our dependencies which have already dropped
support, and to reduce the matrix size.

··· -- Dominic Cleal dominic@cleal.org

Hi,

> I'm updating the Travis CI matrix for our puppet-* repositories in
> https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-installer-modulesync/pull/40.
>
> This includes a proposed removal of Ruby 1.8.7 tests from master (only),
> matching the majority of our dependencies which have already dropped
> support, and to reduce the matrix size.

+1 for reducing the test matrix, especially as Ruby 1.8 tests are
extremly slow.

However, as this effectively does drop test coverage of EL6 based OSes
with non-AIO Puppets, I'd propose for all theforeman modules to create
x.y-stable branches with the current state (or some slightly earlier
one, where required) and Ruby 1.8.7 tests enabled followed by a major
version bump and dropping of EL6 support alltogether in master.

Regards

··· On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:39:43PM +0100, Dominic Cleal wrote: -- Michael Moll

I like the major version bump as a last fully supported version but I
disagree we should fully drop EL6 support. At least EL6 AIO installs
should continue to be supported. Non-AIO should be a best-effort
support: we don't test it but we still accept patches to continue
supporting it.

··· On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 01:50:01AM +0200, Michael Moll wrote: > Hi, > > On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:39:43PM +0100, Dominic Cleal wrote: > > I'm updating the Travis CI matrix for our puppet-* repositories in > > https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-installer-modulesync/pull/40. > > > > This includes a proposed removal of Ruby 1.8.7 tests from master (only), > > matching the majority of our dependencies which have already dropped > > support, and to reduce the matrix size. > > +1 for reducing the test matrix, especially as Ruby 1.8 tests are > extremly slow. > > However, as this effectively does drop test coverage of EL6 based OSes > with non-AIO Puppets, I'd propose for all theforeman modules to create > x.y-stable branches with the current state (or some slightly earlier > one, where required) and Ruby 1.8.7 tests enabled followed by a major > version bump and dropping of EL6 support alltogether in master.

Hi,

··· On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:39:21AM +0200, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote: > I like the major version bump as a last fully supported version but I > disagree we should fully drop EL6 support. At least EL6 AIO installs > should continue to be supported. Non-AIO should be a best-effort > support: we don't test it but we still accept patches to continue > supporting it.

Thinking about this again, this makes sense, but as I’d like to support
EL6 longer in theforeman-puppet (even with 1.8.7, ideally) as in
theforeman-foreman(_proxy) and depdendent modules, we’ll likely to have
the topic on the plate with the 1.14 at the latest.

Regards

Michael Moll

Not a lot of time for feedback - just barely 24 hours, but it only encompassed 1
day in the US as it was merged before we came in this morning… :-\

Great we're getting rid of 1.8.7, but will any of this leak into 1.13 installer?
I would think not, but just want to make sure.

It really is unfortunate though we're going to officially dump el6 support for
modules users may use outside of Foreman (dhcp, tftp, puppet, etc).

-Stephen

··· ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Michael Moll" > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:05:43 AM > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Removal of Ruby 1.8.7 in Puppet module tests > > Hi, > > On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:39:21AM +0200, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote: > > I like the major version bump as a last fully supported version but I > > disagree we should fully drop EL6 support. At least EL6 AIO installs > > should continue to be supported. Non-AIO should be a best-effort > > support: we don't test it but we still accept patches to continue > > supporting it. > > Thinking about this again, this makes sense, but as I'd like to support > EL6 longer in theforeman-puppet (even with 1.8.7, ideally) as in > theforeman-foreman(_proxy) and depdendent modules, we'll likely to have > the topic on the plate with the 1.14 at the latest. > > Regards > -- > Michael Moll > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >

> Great we're getting rid of 1.8.7, but will any of this leak into 1.13 installer?
> I would think not, but just want to make sure.

Not at all, the installer is built from stable branches, not master.

> It really is unfortunate though we're going to officially dump el6 support for
> modules users may use outside of Foreman (dhcp, tftp, puppet, etc).

Ruby 1.8.7, not EL6. EL6 remains in the supported OSes metadata in all
modules (e.g. use with AIO packages or PE).

··· On 19/10/16 16:29, Stephen Benjamin wrote:

Dominic Cleal
dominic@cleal.org

Hi,

··· On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:29:43AM -0400, Stephen Benjamin wrote: > Great we're getting rid of 1.8.7, but will any of this leak into 1.13 installer?

It really is unfortunate though we’re going to officially dump el6 support for
modules users may use outside of Foreman (dhcp, tftp, puppet, etc).

I had the unofficial 1.13 EL6 builds in mind with the whole major
version bump approach. Also, we did/can create stable branches which
still do support EL6 and I even opened PRs to fix tests fix Ruby 1.8
in these branches again, so I hope the damage is minimized.

Regards

Michael Moll