we're currently in the process of migrating a bunch of hardware hosts to
Vms and need to run both old and new instances in parallel for a while.
The plans (we were not asked to accompany their making) are to keep the
We have therefore tried to build a process for the migration.
(1) we have a host a.example in foreman as a.example
(2) we rename the host in foreman to a-old.example
(3) we deploy a VM a.example via foreman compute resource
(4) we see that a-old's values are given to puppet by foreman's ENC and
that a's reports are collected by foreman as a-old's reports.
(5) only deleting a-old.example from foreman makes the reports show up
in the correct, new host.
I guess that foreman associates incoming reports to a host entry via the
cert name, and that renaming the host doesn't change the cert name that
foreman uses. And first match wins.
Is there a possibility to change the certificate name associated with a
host in foreman? I don't care whether I need to poke that into the
database, as long as the result is as expected, that the new a.example's
reports show up in foreman with the new a.example's record.