RFC: Add puma as the default smart-proxy server

Sorry I don’t follow.

Why he have to move to SCL? If we take 3.11.4, it will run on EL7 without SCL as its Ruby is 2.0.

Let’s say we decide to SCL-ize the proxy, the majority of our packaging already uses SCL, proxy is just a small subset with limited dependencies. How would that be different from core? What problems this brought to core so far?

What’s the difference between packaging our dependencies in SCL and non-SCL? Most of gems don’t have RPMs and we need to build them anyway. See how many things we package today [1]. Most if not all specs has an SCL variant and it’s just a matter of switching configuration how we want to build them AFAIK. I think it would be best to ask @packaging team for their potential concerns.

[1] https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-packaging/tree/rpm/develop/packages/foreman

You always want to be able to update things if there is any security issue, or there are known bugs.
I dislike the idea that the distro handles the Ruby support.
The reason for it is that for example ruby v2.0 is not supported anymore by Matz, so if there is any bug that requires update, we can’t count on the distro to solve it, because they will not have anywhere to take an update, and sometimes there are new implementations at the Ruby level (e.g. rewrite of the GC that happens many times).

That’s actually my point, or at least what I have tried to raise :slight_smile:

We either control everything or nothing, we can’t just control Puma for example.
That’s the point I was trying to make.

But my question is about the energy and effort on the matter. What is better here?

M original question is, should we control webrick, because it is less of an effort then starting SCL, even though it will render us single server solution.
But controlling Puma open new issues, for example requests to control unicorn for example or other rack related server.

And that was another point of mine in the matter.

Why don’t we just open a PR that moves smart-proxy to puma. I think, there are a lot of advantages and this is completely independent from SCLing the proxy. That way we see how much effort this actually is and can test some modules. We can then return to the discussion once we have learned more and have actual experience.

From a packaging perspective I wouldn’t mind SCLing the proxy. We could solve the dynflow situation with _core packages could be solved much cleaner. On the packaging side we’d also simplify a lot of things when we only rely on an SCL for Ruby. For that we’d also need to SCL the installer but nowadays that could be done (why we couldn’t before is a bit off topic here). On the CI side it’d also simplify our test matrices when we can move to Ruby 2.3+ for everything. IMHO SCLing shouldn’t be a blocker for moving to puma.

1 Like

That’s what I was trying to say. If we use puma 3.11.4, the SCL decision does not have to be made now.

1 Like

It’s on me, I’m going to support Puma after the shutdown we are having.

My discussion is that prior of going and doing that, let’s talk about the cost of it, and if it is really needed, something that I still fill we are not talking about.

Following discussion on the IRC, the move for Puma will happen, and we will open a new discussion regarding SCL

Can you explain this? I am not following.

I feel there is a lot of noise about this RFC but the reality is not that complex. Eric wrote that SCLing is out of table now, but Ewoud is now telling us on the IRC that SCLing “should not be that of a big deal”.

Of course, if we are going to SCL proxy anytime soon we can easily bump to more recent version of webrick which is little bit better.

This RFC would be still valid tho, it’s worth exploring what Puma could give us. The good approach will be evolution and not revolution, therefore some kind of a “tech preview” would be appropriate.

Honestly, I currently don’t have time to work on Puma support, anyone is welcome to take a look on this. I thought it’s good idea.

That’s not how I interpreted this reply:

It’s still a decently sized effort and I never denied that, but as I said: it’s not a blocker. It does need some planning and effort. With the 1.20 merge window coming up in less than a month I’d say it’s more 1.21+ thing.

After the shutdown I’ll change the code to support Puma. unless you did/do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you plan working on this, please keep webrick as opt-in so users can fallback. We don’t know all the consequences e.g. on Windows of this.

Ack

Anything new on this? Is this migration (to puma) happening?

Hello, yes we are pretty close and it’s already working. We are ironing out rough edges at the moment, hopefully 1.22.

https://github.com/theforeman/smart-proxy/pull/623

The PR has reached a point where things are green and testing has passed in a few scenarios. I want to draw attention to @ekohl comment

I want to ensure we are aligned to the why of the change and that there are no gotchas before we merge it. We’ve moved Foreman server to Puma by default so having both our web services running on the same stack has some advantages but we should ensure the Proxy’s use cases are met with how it spawns services.

Do all the previous issues in this thread still stand for why we should move to Puma?
Are there any other concerns?
Are there benefits we are missing in the move to Puma to bolster the need for the change?

https://github.com/theforeman/smart-proxy/pull/623

I would like to re-address this RFC as there have been updates since the last post on this. In a way, I would like to smart the discussion fresh from this posting onward as a lot has changed and been discussed since the original post and the post prior to this one. There have been various async discussions through PRs and other communications without a centralized breakdown of the pros and cons of moving the smart-proxy to a Puma based deployment. I think it would benefit us all to have the discussion here and ask the various interested parties to lay out the technical concerns and advantages.

I am going to attempt start (an incomplete list) and maintain a list of the pros and cons and ask that @lzap, @ekohl and others present (even if it’s copy/paste from PRs to centralize the discussion) their view points. My hope is that through some focused discussion we can decide as a community what the right path forward is, and what set of changes are needed to get to the end of that path.

Factors that complicate matters

• Some plugins run under HTTP, some under HTTPS and some both

Pros

• Single Web Server for the Foreman project, knowledge and investment in Puma benefits Foreman and Smart Proxy
  • Puma scales better under heavy load than Webrick
    • Features that may impact this:
      • Global registration
      • Smart proxy container registry path
      • Katello on Foreman - RHSM traffic to the smart proxy

Cons

• Performance testing between Puma and Webrick with Smart Proxy does not currently show a difference
  • This is a change to a main part of the Foreman software stack that has been stable for many years
1 Like

We can modify the way we implement this by turning on both endpoints by default and having a middleware that enables or disables particular features according to configuration. In the end, HTTP 500 error “This feature is disabled for HTTP” is much better than HTTP 404 “Not found”. How many times did you hit this scratching your head “why the heck it does not find the endpoint”?

I expect it to show the difference once we change Puma to cluster mode, that was not planned in the first phase tho.

Note: Migration to Puma started two years ago when we were suffering from a bug in Webrick 1.3 which we shipped. Newer version required newer Ruby and we were stuck with an old one. This was actually resolved by SCLing proxy about a year ago.

I think the Smart Proxy is sufficiently different that it’s wishful thinking that they really align. We could make it that way, but it’s a larger investment.

Is this still true? Remember that (without a significant investment) we can’t use multi process. There are singleton parts without a proper inter-process communication method.

I can honestly say I’ve never hit that. Then again, I don’t think I ever really enabled HTTP.

I did open a PR to do this:

It’s not complete yet and I think we should refactor the authentication into proper Rack middleware. Probably even before we move to Puma.

It also turns out that Smart Proxy Dynflow Core uses these methods which I thought were internal. That means it needs to happen in tandem.

In summary: I think it’s a good goal, but a significant investment and I’m not sure it’s worth it at this point.

Would you mind expanding for the wider audience, who probably are not tuned into the intricacies of the Smart Proxy, what makes it sufficiently different to negate this?

I would love it if, and I know it’s been explained in different comments but not a succinct centralized explanation, someone could lay out the exactness of what prevents a multi-process style deployment. For example, what is an example of a Singleton part that prevents this. Is it core design or how a plugin got implemented?

Any ideas what point would make it worth it?

This was mentioned in the PR but I am not aware of these. I’d be curious even if we choose not to go down the Puma path.

At first, I thought that ISC observer would be a problem but then I realized that multiple processes actually need multiple observers to watch file changes so actually no work needed here.

It was more appealing two years ago than today, agreed.

Comparing performance of one of the bottlenecks (Candlepin proxy endpoint for example) between the two. For small scale Webrick can do just fine, but I’d expect multiproces design to scale better under load.