RFC: Common Fact Model

Foreman has always been an open platform for multiple configuration systems. Most of these report something what we generally refer as “facts”. Today, Foreman stores all facts into a single heap and uses “type” column to differentiate fact source (STI). This approach works well if you only use one fact source, e.g. ansible or puppet, but the moment you install Katello, RHSM gets into the bunch and things are funky. You end up seeing the same data presented in via two different path with slightly different results.

We currently store facts in a SQL way which can quickly get out of control when there are servers in the infrastructure which has many NICs, drives or when you use linux bridging for VMs or containers. In these cases, fact tables can grow and consume precious SQL resources and we have learned that many users don’t even use facts.

We have introduced fact name blacklisting which prevents from storing some offenders, but as we were adding more and more facts into the list, I have actually realized that we should be whitelisting instead of blacklisting. Thus the proposal.

Meet CFM: Common Fact Model

I would like to find the common denominator for all major configuration management systems Puppet and Ansible as well as Red Hat Subscription Manager facts. We would build a list of facts which are always enabled by default and I would create transformation API and implementations for Puppet, Ansible and RHSM to store those facts in a common way.

Every single fact should be researched and carefully evaluated because we need to make sure values have some important properties:

• Format. This is the most obvious one - a good example is OS or kernel version. Some sources report “5.7.0-0.rc2.1.fc33.x86_64”, others just “5.7.0” or they include release like “5.7.0-rc2”. If there is a sensible common unit (e.g. seconds, days, hours, bytes) the code must convert it. For unique things like kernel or OS version there must be some heuristics to extract the most important bits.
  • Stability. Volatile facts like Puppet’s uptime presents an unwanted load on Foreman for no reason as they change every single fact upload. The form “42 hours” or even “56473612854 seconds since epoch” are wrong, we need to actually report boot time in UTC since epoch and convert this to human readable time when presenting the fact.
  • Importance. If we have idea what’s the most important for you guys, Foreman could store volatile facts separately for example only in Redis, or just as a simple text/JSON object in SQL database which is much cheaper to store than facts in normal form.

We would like to continue storing CFM (important facts) in the current SQL normal form which is very user friendly when it comes to searching. Users would be still able to use searching capabilities in UI, CLI, API and inventory. However volatile facts (the rest actually) we would just store in a way it could be only retrieved for individual hosts (all of them). Also there would be no transformations applied to them, so one could fetch the original (unchanged) facts from all systems.

Please help me to undesrtand which facts are the most important for your workflows and fill in this simple form. I ask to give a list of facts which you think are important in a way that you want these to be presented in the UI/CLI or you absolutely cannot live without them when using Foreman as cfgmgmg inventory source.

If you use multiple technologies (Puppet, Ansible, RHSM), fill it in multiple times.

Thanks

2 Likes

In general, I like the direction. Few important things to mention. We already have Common Fact Model, it’s reported data facet model which currently stores normalized values, each value is one column. Here’s the list:

• boot_time: datetime
  • virtual: boolean,
  • sockets: integer,
  • cores: integer,
  • ram: integer

See that we don’t store any volatilie fact so far, uptime is calculated based on boot_time, which does not change with every upload.

These facts get updated by any source (ansible, puppet, rhsm, chef, salt) thanks to this and this code. Here we document (by comment only) what unit or format we expect from every parser. Adding more facts is rather trivial, as could be seen in this PR. It adds 4 new common facts, just ignore first two files, that was refactoring.

I can see that the storage or model may not be optimal and I’d be happy to change that if needed, however the reported data facet should still represent the Common Facts for the host.

3 Likes

Yes, I know these exists as you pointed it out already. I believe we should still store common facts and adopt whitelisting. This is how I see the three levels of facts:

• Core facts. The ones you have described, stored with proper type and ideal for searching or even sorting. We would probably implement only a small portion (probably up to dozen) of them over time. These are stored in factet in their respective database fields, meaning fast searching and even sorting is possible.
  • Common facts. Those I have described - whitelisted and carefully selected facts which would include the core facts but add more like operating system, kernel version and similar. My wild guess is we would have two or three dozens of them over time. We should still transform them into reasonable units and format (e.g. kernel version to X.Y.Z). These would be stored in our fact name and value tables, therefore little bit more expensive to update but searchable.
  • Arbitrary facts. All the rest would be stored separately, in a JSON or text blob which is fast to update but unable to search via indices (only tablescan). We would keep a copy from every client, e.g. Puppet, Ansible or RHSM.

See, my proposal does not try to reinvent the wheel here. I am trying to improve what we already have and trying to have a nice out-of-box experience even on deployments where there are thousands of clients all reporting via multiple channels.

1 Like

If you want to listen to @lzap talking through this RFC, you can do so: