RFC: Merge Bastion plugin into Katello codebase

This RFC proposes to merge the Bastion plugin’s codebase into Katello’s. The motivations for this RFC:

• Katello is the only plugin that uses Bastion
  • The Foreman community has decided upon React as a UI framework rendering Bastion’s Angular 1.X code obsolete except by Katello’s existing pages
  • Developer making changes to Angular code often have to open and coordinate two PRs and two code releases

If this RFC is accepted the following would occur:

• Drop Bastion plugin from plugins repository
  • Move Bastion code into engines/bastion directory inside Katello codebase or potentially inside bastion_katello to centralize it
  • Drop Bastion test jobs and add the testing to Katello’s pipeline
  • Leave Bastion as is
  • Merge the codebases

0 voters

This sounds like a good idea to me. Can this be done at any point, or does it have to be aligned to a Katello release?

I’ve been a huge proponent of this for quite some time and I would vote more than once if I could. We would save a lot of time by not having two PRs for changes and having to release bastion so often too.

Another option would be to put bastion into webpack similar to what @John_Mitsch has done here: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/7753

Definitely all for this as well.

I think if we are moving it, we should aim to have it in webpack. It is a huge improvement in our development environment to move JS code to webpack and it would centralize the way our JS code is managed.

You could still let the whole of bastion live in the katello repository. These are 2 separate (but non-exclusive) options.