Running playbook role in Foreman 1.17 fails

Problem:
Attempting to run a Ansible playbook from Foreman fails with:

[WARNING]: Unable to set correct type for configuration entry:
DEFAULT_LOCAL_TMP

PLAY [joni-halder.lab.beer.town] ***********************************************

TASK [Gathering Facts] *********************************************************
An exception occurred during task execution. To see the full traceback, use -vvv. The error was: OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '~'
fatal: [joni-halder.lab.beer.town]: FAILED! => {"msg": "Unexpected failure during module execution.", "stdout": ""}
	to retry, use: --limit @/tmp/d20180604-14227-etndem/foreman-playbook-6bfa0e37-2659-4c54-a08e-d768bc807be0.retry

PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
joni-halder.lab.beer.town  : ok=0    changed=0    unreachable=0    failed=1   

Exit status: 2

Expected outcome:
Ansible playbook to work.

Foreman and Proxy versions:
foreman - 1.17
proxy - 1.17

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
rubygem-smart_proxy_ansible-2.0.2-1.fm1_17.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-smart_proxy_dynflow_core-0.1.10-2.fm1_17.el7.noarch
rubygem-smart_proxy_remote_execution_ssh-0.1.5-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman_ansible-2.0.1-1.fm1_17.el7.noarch
rubygem-smart_proxy_ansible-2.0.2-1.fm1_17.el7.noarch
ansible-2.5.3-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman_ansible_core-2.0.2-1.fm1_17.el7.noarch

Other relevant data:
The ansible command works fine from cli. I only get this error when ran from Foreman.

tried this - Running playbook role in Foreman 1.15.6 / ansible pluging 1.4.5 / ansible 2.4.1 return an error

to no avail

I should note that running the playbook from cli (as root) works. When I run as foreman or foreman-proxy it does not.

Here are the commands ran under each user:

foreman user:
ssh -vvv -C -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=60s -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o KbdInteractiveAuthentication=no -o PreferredAuthentications=gssapi-with-mic,gssapi-keyex,hostbased,publickey -o PasswordAuthentication=no -o User=root -o ConnectTimeout=10 -o ControlPath=/usr/share/foreman/.ansible/cp/34f9b1ddf2 joni-halder.lab.beer.town '/bin/sh -c '"'"'echo ~root && sleep 0'"'"''

Root user:
ssh -vvv -C -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=60s -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o KbdInteractiveAuthentication=no -o PreferredAuthentications=gssapi-with-mic,gssapi-keyex,hostbased,publickey -o PasswordAuthentication=no -o User=root -o ConnectTimeout=10 -o ControlPath=/root/.ansible/cp/34f9b1ddf2 joni-halder.lab.beer.town '/bin/sh -c '"'"'echo ~root && sleep 0'"'"''

So I see where the ControlPath is different. Could this be causing the problems?

Got this to work. Noticed that the ControlPath is set to whomever is running the commands. After turning on ansible logging, and running ansible from the GUI, I could see that foreman was using foreman-proxy to run all the commands. So I changed all the ownerships of the ssh keys to foreman-proxy. I then hit another issue:

2018-06-05 08:05:38,964 p=24747 u=foreman-proxy |  The full traceback is:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible/executor/task_executor.py", line 138, in run
    res = self._execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible/executor/task_executor.py", line 561, in _execute
    result = self._handler.run(task_vars=variables)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible/plugins/action/normal.py", line 46, in run
    result = merge_hash(result, self._execute_module(task_vars=task_vars, wrap_async=wrap_async))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible/plugins/action/__init__.py", line 709, in _execute_module
    (module_style, shebang, module_data, module_path) = self._configure_module(module_name=module_name, module_args=module_args, task_vars=task_vars)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible/plugins/action/__init__.py", line 165, in _configure_module
    environment=final_environment)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible/executor/module_common.py", line 910, in modify_module
    environment=environment)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ansible/executor/module_common.py", line 712, in _find_module_utils
    os.makedirs(lookup_path)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/os.py", line 150, in makedirs
    makedirs(head, mode)
    makedirs(head, mode)
    makedirs(head, mode)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '~'

2018-06-05 08:05:38,964 p=24747 u=foreman-proxy |  fatal: [joni-halder.lab.beer.town]: FAILED! => {
    "msg": "Unexpected failure during module execution.",
    "stdout": ""

Not really helpful, so I ran strace against it and noticed:

24747 08:05:37.272306 mkdir("/usr/share/foreman-proxy/.ansible", 0700) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

Regardless of what I have the control path set to, it seems to default to the user running ansible.

So I created that directory and gave rights to foreman-proxy, and now its working.

1 Like