Satellite cannot provisioning CentOS 8 Server

@iballou Thanks for your reply. I’m very interested to know if this is really a bug or not. Please let me know if you find more information about this issue.

@hiero-nymus the Katello issue is here: Bug #29663: additional_media returns nothing in kickstart provisioning template when provisioning from synced CentOS 8 - Katello - Foreman

The issue is closed due to it still being unreproducible on our development environments, but if you are interested and able to provide more data for reproducing we could continue taking a look.

Hi,

I also can’t get CentOS 8 Stream deployed via Katello. I followed the solution from this thread but still no go. I also ensured that I have all the latests prov templates. I found a video on youtube that explains how to get it working but it doesn’t seem to work. What is the current status? Is the workaround still required? Is there any doc from foreman / katello on how to set it up correctly?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Oliver

Sorry forgot to add the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsCi9Jy2lGs

Ok, I looked over the thread again and found the vital info:

grep -oP ‘(?<=GET ).Library.(?=/repodata/repomd.xml HTTP/1.[12]" 404)’ /var/log/httpd/foreman_access.log| sort -u

I was able to set the correct aliases and now it is deploying :slight_smile:

Never the less I’m not 100% sure if this workaround is still the right way to go or if my 1000 times upgraded katello install is missing something important.

Hi All,

I recently ran in to this issue again while setting up CentOS 8 Classic content in Satellite 6.9.4 (foreman-2.3.1.21-1.el7sat.noarch).
The Kickstart Default template includes the lines:

<%= @mediapath %><%= proxy_string %>
<% @additional_media.each do |medium| -%>
<% if rhel_compatible && @host.operatingsystem.name.downcase.include?("centos") && os_major >= 8 && medium[:url] && medium[:url].include?("AppStream") -%>
# renamed from "<%= medium[:url] %>" for CentOS Anaconda to work
repo --name AppStream --baseurl <%= medium[:url] %>
<% else -%>
repo --name <%= medium[:name] %> --baseurl <%= medium[:url] %> <%= medium[:install] ? ' --install' : '' %><%= proxy_string %>
<% end -%>

However, without aliasing the baseurl in pulp_aliases.conf the CentOS 8 systems refuse to build. An error (shortened for clarity) shows that the CentOS installation is appending /AppStream/x86_64/os for the Appstream repos and fails when it can’t find it.

“GET …/CentOS8_Classic_for_x86_64/AppStream/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml HTTP/1.1” 404

It appears that the CentOS install always looks at the URL for the ContentViewLabel and adds AppStream/arch/os

When I publish the Content View from my CentOS 8 product, the actual path to the repodata/repomd.xml becomes:
/var/www/pub/yum/http/repos/OrgLabel/EnvironmentLabel/ContentViewLabel/custom/ProductLabel/RepoLabel/repodata/repomd.xml

The workaround with setting up aliases for the published directories in pulp_aliases.conf still seems to be required.
The issue occurs for CentOS 8 streams repos as well.

1 Like