Show IPAM Internal DB content

Hi,

How can I show reserved IP on subnet where IPAM is set on “Internal DB” please ?
I don’t see any option on the web interface. Is there a way with any psql client ?

I’m on Foreman 1.20.1

Thank you

This name is very confusing and we also had few incorrect statements on discourse and also in our documentation about this. Foreman does NOT maintain separate a list of IP addresses similarly to IPAM systems. It simply returns next available IP from sequence or randomly excluding all IP addresses that it knows from existing hosts.

I am updating our documentation to make this more clear:

• DHCP: the DHCP {SmartProxy} manages the assignment of IP addresses by finding the next available IP address starting from the first address of the range skipping all addresses that are reserved. Before assigning an IP address, {SmartProxy} sends an ICMP and TCP ping to verify whether the IP address is in use. {SmartProxy} DHCP module retains offered IP addresses for short period of time to prevent collisions during concurrent access, therefore temporary “holes” in the IP range can exist.
  • Internal DB: {Project} finds next available IP address from the Subnet range excluding all IP addresses from the {Project} database in sequence. Primary source of data is the database, not DHCP reservations. This IPAM is not safe when multiple hosts are being created in parallel, in that case use DHCP or Random DB IPAM instead.
  • Random DB: {Project} finds next available IP address from the Subnet range excluding all IP addresses from the {Project} database randomly. Primary source of data is the database, not DHCP reservations. This IPAM is safe to use with concurrent host creation as IP addresses are returned in random order minimizing chance of a conflict.
  • EUI-64: Extended Unique Identifier (EUI) 64bit IPv6 address generation, as per RFC2373, is obtained through the 48-bit MAC address.
  • External IPAM: Delegate IPAM to an external system through {SmartProxy} feature. {Project} currently does not ship with any external IPAM implementations, several plugins are in development.
  • None: IP address for each host must be entered manually.

Replace {Project} with Foreman, this is our ASCIIDOC variable please.

1 Like

Thank you :wink:

1 Like

There is https://github.com/theforeman/foreman_dhcp_browser which isn’t a complete solution, but may be interesting to you.

2 Likes