Starting point

Hi everyone,

I joined the list a few weeks ago: I have set a development environment
within a VM. Have read the doc, setup a working environment in my homelab
(stable release) to play with it as much as possible. I'm fairly new to
Foreman in general.

I'd like to help where I can so my question is, where do I start? Just
looking the open issues in Redmine and pick one? Any initial guidance here
would be helpful :slight_smile:

Cheers,

PS - Just for the sake of full disclosure, I like to help in my free time
but during the rest of the day I do virtualization/cloud consulting for a
living at VMware Professional Services. I now this is RedHat sponsored
project but I have a personal interest on it, nothing to do with my
daylight employ :slight_smile:

路路路 --- Juan Manuel Rey

Hi Juan,

Welcome!

> Hi everyone,
>
> I joined the list a few weeks ago: I have set a development environment
> within a VM. Have read the doc, setup a working environment in my
> homelab (stable release) to play with it as much as possible. I'm fairly
> new to Foreman in general.

You'll also want to have a git setup to hand - probably not with full
provisioning capabilities unless you want to (the new libvirt providers
make this quite easy), but at least to be able to load the web UI and
possibly the smart proxy.

Foreman :: Contribute and
Foreman :: Manual have
some information on this. I'd advise using something like 'rvm' to
manage Ruby and gemsets.

> I'd like to help where I can so my question is, where do I start? Just
> looking the open issues in Redmine and pick one? Any initial guidance
> here would be helpful :slight_smile:

Sure, I'd probably start from this list:
http://projects.theforeman.org/issues?query_id=42

These are the issues tagged as easy or trivial in Redmine and hopefully
is reasonably accurate. We don't really do this often though, so if you
and others are working from it, I can try and do this when triaging.

Another good place to work on might be the Hammer CLI, which is under
rapid development, but there is probably a lot of low-hanging fruit.
Martin or Tomas who are leading the development may be able to advise.
The issue tracker for that sub-project is at
Issues - Hammer CLI - Foreman.

Perhaps the most important thing is to learn the community and
development process, from using git, testing your changes, submitting
them and the review process.

We're also very active on IRC, #theforeman-dev on Freenode, so do come
and say hello. (Mostly European office hours.)

> Cheers,
>
> PS - Just for the sake of full disclosure, I like to help in my free
> time but during the rest of the day I do virtualization/cloud consulting
> for a living at VMware Professional Services. I now this is RedHat
> sponsored project but I have a personal interest on it, nothing to do
> with my daylight employ :slight_smile:

Everybody is welcome :slight_smile: Perhaps we could tap your VMware knowledge some
time too, if you have experience with the virtualisation products?

Cheers,

路路路 On 21/01/14 17:05, Juan Manuel Rey wrote:


Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

What I've done is find an itch to scratch. Some things bothered me and I
tried to fix it. Many are on #theforeman and #theforeman-dev on freenode
so that's a good place to start as well. I don't know what your
knowledge level of ruby (on rails) already is, but you can start with
small tickets or big tickets. Whatever gets you going :slight_smile:

If you need a hint; I know quite a few people, me included, would love
better VMware integration :slight_smile:

路路路 On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 06:05:46PM +0100, Juan Manuel Rey wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I joined the list a few weeks ago: I have set a development environment > within a VM. Have read the doc, setup a working environment in my homelab > (stable release) to play with it as much as possible. I'm fairly new to > Foreman in general. > > I'd like to help where I can so my question is, where do I start? Just > looking the open issues in Redmine and pick one? Any initial guidance here > would be helpful :) > > Cheers, > > PS - Just for the sake of full disclosure, I like to help in my free time > but during the rest of the day I do virtualization/cloud consulting for a > living at VMware Professional Services. I now this is RedHat sponsored > project but I have a personal interest on it, nothing to do with my > daylight employ :)

Thanks for the tips Dominic and Ewoud.

I already had a dev environment, followed the instructions on the
contribute page but I will review my setup using the other link from 1.4
manual. BTW some of the content from the manual can also be added to the
contribute instructions, specifically the dependencies. I had to figure
them out one by one after each failure of the bundle install process.

Would be great if I can put my VMware knowledge at work here. Dominic as
you can imagine I have a ton of technical experience with vSphere and
vCloud, including the APIs since a great part of my work is focused on
automation and extensibility of those products using different languages,
including Ruby.

Anyway I'll start reviewing the issues and getting familiar with the whole
development workflow, I use git very often for my work projects but will
review the rest of the process.

Cheers,

路路路 --- Juan Manuel Rey

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Dominic Cleal dcleal@redhat.com wrote:

Hi Juan,

Welcome!

On 21/01/14 17:05, Juan Manuel Rey wrote:

Hi everyone,

I joined the list a few weeks ago: I have set a development environment
within a VM. Have read the doc, setup a working environment in my
homelab (stable release) to play with it as much as possible. I鈥檓 fairly
new to Foreman in general.

You鈥檒l also want to have a git setup to hand - probably not with full
provisioning capabilities unless you want to (the new libvirt providers
make this quite easy), but at least to be able to load the web UI and
possibly the smart proxy.

Foreman :: Contribute and
Foreman :: Manual have
some information on this. I鈥檇 advise using something like 鈥榬vm鈥 to
manage Ruby and gemsets.

I鈥檇 like to help where I can so my question is, where do I start? Just
looking the open issues in Redmine and pick one? Any initial guidance
here would be helpful :slight_smile:

Sure, I鈥檇 probably start from this list:
Easy and Trivial Issues - Foreman

These are the issues tagged as easy or trivial in Redmine and hopefully
is reasonably accurate. We don鈥檛 really do this often though, so if you
and others are working from it, I can try and do this when triaging.

Another good place to work on might be the Hammer CLI, which is under
rapid development, but there is probably a lot of low-hanging fruit.
Martin or Tomas who are leading the development may be able to advise.
The issue tracker for that sub-project is at
Issues - Hammer CLI - Foreman.

Perhaps the most important thing is to learn the community and
development process, from using git, testing your changes, submitting
them and the review process.

We鈥檙e also very active on IRC, #theforeman-dev on Freenode, so do come
and say hello. (Mostly European office hours.)

Cheers,

PS - Just for the sake of full disclosure, I like to help in my free
time but during the rest of the day I do virtualization/cloud consulting
for a living at VMware Professional Services. I now this is RedHat
sponsored project but I have a personal interest on it, nothing to do
with my daylight employ :slight_smile:

Everybody is welcome :slight_smile: Perhaps we could tap your VMware knowledge some
time too, if you have experience with the virtualisation products?

Cheers,


Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

> Thanks for the tips Dominic and Ewoud.
>
> I already had a dev environment, followed the instructions on the
> contribute page but I will review my setup using the other link from 1.4
> manual. BTW some of the content from the manual can also be added to the
> contribute instructions, specifically the dependencies. I had to figure
> them out one by one after each failure of the bundle install process.
>
> Would be great if I can put my VMware knowledge at work here. Dominic as
> you can imagine I have a ton of technical experience with vSphere and
> vCloud, including the APIs since a great part of my work is focused on
> automation and extensibility of those products using different languages,
> including Ruby.
>
> Anyway I'll start reviewing the issues and getting familiar with the whole
> development workflow, I use git very often for my work projects but will
> review the rest of the process.

There's Feature #3203: Request for vCloud Director support - Foreman [vCloud support] if
you want to be thrown in the deep end. Big obstacle there for starters
is lack of vCloud knowledge and how to translate Foreman hosts into
vApps for example.

Feature #2438: Ability to deploy hosts from vmware templates - Foreman [Ability to deploy hosts from
vmware templates] would be smaller, but still a significant chunk (I
think).

Then Feature #1946: Addition VMWare options required for VM creation - Foreman [Addition VMWare options
required for VM creation] is tracking a few smaller tasks:

Not sure there's an issue tracking it, but having the option to select
the OS type and the best virtual hardware would solve #3496 for example.
Ideally try to match the OS that's selected in Foreman.

In general I'd say VMware integration is a weak spot so if you like
that, there's plenty to work with and you'd make many users very happy.
Myself included.

路路路 On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 07:07:21PM +0100, Juan Manuel Rey wrote:

Cheers,

Juan Manuel Rey

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Dominic Cleal dcleal@redhat.com wrote:

Hi Juan,

Welcome!

On 21/01/14 17:05, Juan Manuel Rey wrote:

Hi everyone,

I joined the list a few weeks ago: I have set a development environment
within a VM. Have read the doc, setup a working environment in my
homelab (stable release) to play with it as much as possible. I鈥檓 fairly
new to Foreman in general.

You鈥檒l also want to have a git setup to hand - probably not with full
provisioning capabilities unless you want to (the new libvirt providers
make this quite easy), but at least to be able to load the web UI and
possibly the smart proxy.

Foreman :: Contribute and
Foreman :: Manual have
some information on this. I鈥檇 advise using something like 鈥榬vm鈥 to
manage Ruby and gemsets.

I鈥檇 like to help where I can so my question is, where do I start? Just
looking the open issues in Redmine and pick one? Any initial guidance
here would be helpful :slight_smile:

Sure, I鈥檇 probably start from this list:
Easy and Trivial Issues - Foreman

These are the issues tagged as easy or trivial in Redmine and hopefully
is reasonably accurate. We don鈥檛 really do this often though, so if you
and others are working from it, I can try and do this when triaging.

Another good place to work on might be the Hammer CLI, which is under
rapid development, but there is probably a lot of low-hanging fruit.
Martin or Tomas who are leading the development may be able to advise.
The issue tracker for that sub-project is at
Issues - Hammer CLI - Foreman.

Perhaps the most important thing is to learn the community and
development process, from using git, testing your changes, submitting
them and the review process.

We鈥檙e also very active on IRC, #theforeman-dev on Freenode, so do come
and say hello. (Mostly European office hours.)

Cheers,

PS - Just for the sake of full disclosure, I like to help in my free
time but during the rest of the day I do virtualization/cloud consulting
for a living at VMware Professional Services. I now this is RedHat
sponsored project but I have a personal interest on it, nothing to do
with my daylight employ :slight_smile:

Everybody is welcome :slight_smile: Perhaps we could tap your VMware knowledge some
time too, if you have experience with the virtualisation products?

Cheers,


Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 鈥渇oreman-dev鈥 group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.