Statistics page

1 - surprised that there's no statistics for 'hostgroups'

2 - Class distribution statistics seems to only display classes assigned individually to systems but not if they are assigned to the hostgroup and the system belongs to the hostgroup.

Interestingly enough though, opening script/console production, I can @host = Host.find(2) and then @host.info and see that the classes are all returned whether individually assigned or assigned to the hostgroup and adopted by the hostgroup membership. Been looking at the app/views/statistics/index.html.erb and app/models/host.rb and app/controllers/statistics_controller.rb and it all looks like it should show all of the classes whether individually assigned or assigned via hostgroup.

Is it just the way I am set up?

··· -- Craig White ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ craig.white@ttiltd.com 1.800.869.6908 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.ttiassessments.com

Need help communicating between generations at work to achieve your desired success? Let us help!

I believe the stats page is just a bunch of shortcuts to the most common statistics one would want to see. You should submit a feature request for what you are asking as that sounds useful.

I have an implementation in RemoteAdmin that lets the user select the data from a list of facts and then generates a graph automatically rather than using the pre-canned graphs available in foreman.

I may take your suggestion and add to remoteadmin as well.

··· On Sep 12, 2011, at 4:44 PM, Craig White wrote:

1 - surprised that there’s no statistics for ‘hostgroups’

2 - Class distribution statistics seems to only display classes assigned individually to systems but not if they are assigned to the hostgroup and the system belongs to the hostgroup.

Interestingly enough though, opening script/console production, I can @host = Host.find(2) and then @host.info and see that the classes are all returned whether individually assigned or assigned to the hostgroup and adopted by the hostgroup membership. Been looking at the app/views/statistics/index.html.erb and app/models/host.rb and app/controllers/statistics_controller.rb and it all looks like it should show all of the classes whether individually assigned or assigned via hostgroup.

Craig White ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ craig.white@ttiltd.com
1.800.869.6908 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.ttiassessments.com

Need help communicating between generations at work to achieve your desired success? Let us help!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Foreman users” group.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

> 1 - surprised that there's no statistics for 'hostgroups'
>
> 2 - Class distribution statistics seems to only display classes assigned individually to systems but not if they are assigned to the hostgroup and the system belongs to the hostgroup.
>
> Interestingly enough though, opening script/console production, I can @host = Host.find(2) and then @host.info and see that the classes are all returned whether individually assigned or assigned to the hostgroup and adopted by the hostgroup membership. Been looking at the app/views/statistics/index.html.erb and app/models/host.rb and app/controllers/statistics_controller.rb and it all looks like it should show all of the classes whether individually assigned or assigned via hostgroup.
>
> Is it just the way I am set up?

No, afair it simply chart the direct relationship between hosts and
classes, feel free to add a new feature request - thanks!

··· On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Craig White wrote: > > -- > Craig White ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ craig.white@ttiltd.com > 1.800.869.6908 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.ttiassessments.com > > Need help communicating between generations at work to achieve your desired success? Let us help! > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > >

> I believe the stats page is just a bunch of shortcuts to the most common
> statistics one would want to see. You should submit a feature request for
> what you are asking as that sounds useful.
>
+1

>
> I have an implementation in RemoteAdmin that lets the user select the data
> from a list of facts and then generates a graph automatically rather than
> using the pre-canned graphs available in foreman.
>
Latest version of foreman has a similar functionality[image: Screenshot.png]

··· On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Corey Osman wrote:

>> 1 - surprised that there's no statistics for 'hostgroups'
>>
>> 2 - Class distribution statistics seems to only display classes assigned individually to systems but not if they are assigned to the hostgroup and the system belongs to the hostgroup.
>>
>> Interestingly enough though, opening script/console production, I can @host = Host.find(2) and then @host.info and see that the classes are all returned whether individually assigned or assigned to the hostgroup and adopted by the hostgroup membership. Been looking at the app/views/statistics/index.html.erb and app/models/host.rb and app/controllers/statistics_controller.rb and it all looks like it should show all of the classes whether individually assigned or assigned via hostgroup.
>>
>> Is it just the way I am set up?
>
> No, afair it simply chart the direct relationship between hosts and
> classes, feel free to add a new feature request - thanks!

··· On Sep 12, 2011, at 11:20 PM, Ohad Levy wrote: > On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Craig White wrote: ---- will do...

I have done #1 (though probably not as nicely as a more experienced ruby programmer) and uploaded my changes (simple changes to 3 files) to Issue #1170

#2 is a bit more tricky and I don’t have time to work on that one now but it also seems to dovetail into issue #844 (puppet host count does not count classes through a host group) - seems like we could kill 2 birds with one stone here and when I get a chance, I may do this myself but my ruby coding demonstrates the fact that I haven’t been coding for quite some time.

Craig

You will need to submit that patch to foreman-dev mailing list.

Try git add <files you changed>
git commit -m "# ticket – title of ticket"
rake mail_patches (although you need to download git-sendemail and configure it)

http://theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Contribute

Corey

··· On Sep 14, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Craig White wrote:

On Sep 12, 2011, at 11:20 PM, Ohad Levy wrote:

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Craig White craig.white@ttiltd.com wrote:

1 - surprised that there’s no statistics for ‘hostgroups’

No, afair it simply chart the direct relationship between hosts and
classes, feel free to add a new feature request - thanks!

will do…

I have done #1 (though probably not as nicely as a more experienced ruby programmer) and uploaded my changes (simple changes to 3 files) to Issue #1170

#2 is a bit more tricky and I don’t have time to work on that one now but it also seems to dovetail into issue #844 (puppet host count does not count classes through a host group) - seems like we could kill 2 birds with one stone here and when I get a chance, I may do this myself but my ruby coding demonstrates the fact that I haven’t been coding for quite some time.

Craig

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Foreman users” group.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.