Submitting Kafo packages to EPEL

Hi,

Kafo could have some decent use cases outside of Foreman and Katello, such
as creating custom application installers (something I'm looking at doing
right now). Any chance the relevant packages could be contributed to EPEL?

Cheers,

James

That would be quite interesting, however Kafo still evolves quite fast so I'm
not sure we could keep up with uploading new versions to EPEL. Any volunteer
for that? I'm not sure what would the requirements be to get package into EPEL
and about spec file prerequisites.

··· On Thursday 13 of March 2014 02:43:36 James Netherton wrote: > Hi, > > Kafo could have some decent use cases outside of Foreman and Katello, such > as creating custom application installers (something I'm looking at doing > right now). Any chance the relevant packages could be contributed to EPEL? > > Cheers, > > James

Marek

Are you at a decent initial version that folks could use? Perhaps put it
into Fedora and epel as a test? Statting it may change fast.

– bk

··· On 03/13/2014 06:16 AM, Marek Hulan wrote: > On Thursday 13 of March 2014 02:43:36 James Netherton wrote: >> Hi, >> >> Kafo could have some decent use cases outside of Foreman and Katello, such >> as creating custom application installers (something I'm looking at doing >> right now). Any chance the relevant packages could be contributed to EPEL? >> >> Cheers, >> >> James > > That would be quite interesting, however Kafo still evolves quite fast so I'm > not sure we could keep up with uploading new versions to EPEL. Any volunteer > for that? I'm not sure what would the requirements be to get package into EPEL > and about spec file prerequisites. >

I might be able to. My main (selfish) worry would be ensuring Foreman's
installer continues to work with the version available in Fedora and
EPEL at the time. Adherence to some kind of semver scheme, pinning
compatible versions in our spec file and if necessary, adding it back to
our repo would handle that though.

The spec file would need a bit of cleaning, but otherwise is OK.

··· On 13/03/14 10:16, Marek Hulan wrote: > On Thursday 13 of March 2014 02:43:36 James Netherton wrote: >> Hi, >> >> Kafo could have some decent use cases outside of Foreman and Katello, such >> as creating custom application installers (something I'm looking at doing >> right now). Any chance the relevant packages could be contributed to EPEL? >> >> Cheers, >> >> James > > That would be quite interesting, however Kafo still evolves quite fast so I'm > not sure we could keep up with uploading new versions to EPEL. Any volunteer > for that? I'm not sure what would the requirements be to get package into EPEL > and about spec file prerequisites.

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

There are already people using it so I'd say yes. But maybe some users may
answer this better :slight_smile:

··· On Thursday 13 of March 2014 08:18:57 Bryan Kearney wrote: > On 03/13/2014 06:16 AM, Marek Hulan wrote: > > On Thursday 13 of March 2014 02:43:36 James Netherton wrote: > >> Hi, > >> > >> Kafo could have some decent use cases outside of Foreman and Katello, > >> such > >> as creating custom application installers (something I'm looking at doing > >> right now). Any chance the relevant packages could be contributed to > >> EPEL? > >> > >> Cheers, > >> > >> James > > > > That would be quite interesting, however Kafo still evolves quite fast so > > I'm not sure we could keep up with uploading new versions to EPEL. Any > > volunteer for that? I'm not sure what would the requirements be to get > > package into EPEL and about spec file prerequisites. > > Are you at a decent initial version that folks could use? Perhaps put it > into Fedora and epel as a test? Statting it may change fast.

Marek

> > Are you at a decent initial version that folks could use? Perhaps put it
> > into Fedora and epel as a test? Statting it may change fast.
>
> There are already people using it so I'd say yes. But maybe some users may
> answer this better :slight_smile:

My packaging experiences tell me that it is good idea to start with one
or two Fedora versions and only if that works well, move to EPEL.

What is released in EPEL stays on the same version – kinda forever.
Easy to do, hard to master.

··· -- Later,

Lukas “lzap” Zapletal
irc: lzap #theforeman