Understanding content views

Problem: Trying to update java packages. I was able to patch the test life cycle level systems with the required version. When I went to the develop life cycle level systems, that update is not available. The current version of our composite content view has been published to all life cycle levels. If I open a browser to https://my.sat.server/pulp/location/Library/custom/el7_repos/updates_x86_64/Packages/j/, I can see 6 different versions of java-1.8.0-openjdk in both i686 and x86_64 architectures (total of 12 rpms). This includes the latest package I want to install. If I go to https://my.sat.server/pulp/location/develop/composite_contentview/custom/el7_repos/updates_x86_64/Packages/j/, I see only 5 java-1.8.0-openjdk in both i686 and x86_64 architectures (total of 10 rpms) which does not include the latest version. This version of the composite content view was created after the updates content view was published to Library. Shouldn’t it include the latest versions?
If I log into the gui and browse to the content views and look at the updates content view, the latest version and click on rpm Packages and then search for “name = java-1.8.0-openjdk,” I only see three rpms. Two are the same version but different architectures. The third is the latest version in x86_64. Why is the gui only showing these three? If I go to the composite content view latest version and do the same search, it shows 12 rpms which does not include the latest version.
I am quite confused. :slight_smile:

Expected outcome: The versions in the component content views published to Library should flow into the composite content view exactly.

Foreman and Proxy versions: foreman-2.4.1/katello-4.0.3

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version: CentOS 7.9

Other relevant data:

Hi @bradawk,

Your understanding of content views is fine, you’re likely seeing a bug here. Content view support on Pulp 3 has received more bug fixes for newer versions of Katello, like 4.1 or 4.2.

Are you using any content view filters?

There can be a race condition with component content views and composites. If a composite is publishing at the same time as one of its components, there can be undefined behavior. Perhaps try turning off the composite auto-publish for a test if you have it enabled.

You mentioned seeing 6 different java-1.8.0-openjdk rpms in the composite but only 3 in the “Updates” content view. Do you have other component content view versions within the composite that could be providing these extra 3 RPMs?

If possible, please provide us with the repositories that you’re using and how your component and composite content views are set up. Content view publishing is the most complicated feature in Katello, so reproducing issues on our side is a crucial first step to solving a bug.

The only filters I have left are related to end dates for errata. I’m planning on re-installing both satellite servers next week with foreman 3.0 and katello 4.2. I’m also going to reduce the life cycle environments from three to two. Hoping this will clear things up a little? :slight_smile: