I'd suggest something similar to what Bryan came up with

PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2
PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2

The reason would be that the relation is not a resource but rather an
attribute. I'd use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from users
perspective it alters the os resource.

Makes sense?

M

··· On 01/30/2014 02:31 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote: > On 01/30/2014 08:19 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: >> ----- Original Message ----- >>> From: "Bryan Kearney" >>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com >>> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:13:37 PM >>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships >>> >>> On 01/30/2014 02:42 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: >>>> To be specific and atomic, then you need to treat the many-to-many >>>> relation >>>> as its own resource. This is not the case with our example >>>> >>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24 >>>> >>>> which update all the attributes AND associations for resource >>>> operating >>>> system #24 >>>> >>>> The RESTful way to only add or delete an association (similar to >>>> what we >>>> did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below: (Note >>>> that BOTH >>>> the architecture id and operating system id's already exist) >>>> >>>> Create a new association >>>> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems -d >>>> {'id': 1} >>>> >>>> object created >>>> { >>>> 'id': 555 >>>> 'operatingsystem_id': 24 >>>> 'architecture_id': 1 >>>> } >>>> >>>> Delete an association >>>> DELETE api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems/555 >>>> >>>> This is similar to what Bryan may thought of when he wrote >>>> >>>>> What about a >>>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures >>>> >>>> But the issue here is that PUT requires an ID of a resource to update. >>> >>> >>> yeah... I should have put POST. >>> >>>> >>>> The 'problem' with the atomic restful way is that most 'simple' >>>> API's don't >>>> expose the database internals such as id #555 on a join table which is >>>> meaningless to the user. >>> >>> I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is hidden a bit. >> >> >> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures -d {'id': 1} >> >> This would be confusing, since in RESTful style, a POST on a >> collection (architectures) creates a new architecture. > > > You are correct.. but this for me is when the REST WILL SOLVE ALL > ISSUES argument starts to fail. Haveing a resource which is > > api/v2/operatingsystems_architectures_relationship > > is just nasty in IMHO. I would prefer a POST to > api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a CREATE or > FIND based on the presence of hte ID attribute. But, that is just me :) > > BTw... I am still waiting for the REST client which actually > parses the url fragments which REST produces to "follow" the api" > > -- bk > >

OK, I will do this

··· > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2

----- Original Message -----

To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:48:02 PM
Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships

On 01/30/2014 02:31 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:

On 01/30/2014 08:19 AM, Joseph Magen wrote:

Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:13:37 PM

On 01/30/2014 02:42 AM, Joseph Magen wrote:

To be specific and atomic, then you need to treat the many-to-many
relation
as its own resource. This is not the case with our example

PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24

which update all the attributes AND associations for resource
operating
system #24

The RESTful way to only add or delete an association (similar to
what we
did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below: (Note
that BOTH
the architecture id and operating system id’s already exist)

Create a new association
POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems -d
{‘id’: 1}

object created
{
‘id’: 555
’operatingsystem_id’: 24
’architecture_id’: 1
}

Delete an association
DELETE api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems/555

This is similar to what Bryan may thought of when he wrote

What about a
PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures

But the issue here is that PUT requires an ID of a resource to update.

yeah… I should have put POST.

The ‘problem’ with the atomic restful way is that most 'simple’
API’s don’t
expose the database internals such as id #555 on a join table which is
meaningless to the user.

I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is hidden a bit.

POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures -d {‘id’: 1}

This would be confusing, since in RESTful style, a POST on a
collection (architectures) creates a new architecture.

You are correct… but this for me is when the REST WILL SOLVE ALL
ISSUES argument starts to fail. Haveing a resource which is

api/v2/operatingsystems_architectures_relationship

is just nasty in IMHO. I would prefer a POST to
api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a CREATE or
FIND based on the presence of hte ID attribute. But, that is just me :slight_smile:

BTw… I am still waiting for the REST client which actually
parses the url fragments which REST produces to “follow” the api"

– bk

I’d suggest something similar to what Bryan came up with

attribute. I’d use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from users

Makes sense?

M

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Should I add this to the documentation?

David

··· ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Joseph Magen" > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55:00 AM > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > OK, I will do this > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Martin Bačovský" > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:48:02 PM > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > On 01/30/2014 02:31 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote: > > > On 01/30/2014 08:19 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > >> ----- Original Message ----- > > >>> From: "Bryan Kearney" > > >>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > >>> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:13:37 PM > > >>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > >>> > > >>> On 01/30/2014 02:42 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > >>>> To be specific and atomic, then you need to treat the many-to-many > > >>>> relation > > >>>> as its own resource. This is not the case with our example > > >>>> > > >>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24 > > >>>> > > >>>> which update all the attributes AND associations for resource > > >>>> operating > > >>>> system #24 > > >>>> > > >>>> The RESTful way to only add or delete an association (similar to > > >>>> what we > > >>>> did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below: (Note > > >>>> that BOTH > > >>>> the architecture id and operating system id's already exist) > > >>>> > > >>>> Create a new association > > >>>> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems -d > > >>>> {'id': 1} > > >>>> > > >>>> object created > > >>>> { > > >>>> 'id': 555 > > >>>> 'operatingsystem_id': 24 > > >>>> 'architecture_id': 1 > > >>>> } > > >>>> > > >>>> Delete an association > > >>>> DELETE api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems/555 > > >>>> > > >>>> This is similar to what Bryan may thought of when he wrote > > >>>> > > >>>>> What about a > > >>>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures > > >>>> > > >>>> But the issue here is that PUT requires an ID of a resource to update. > > >>> > > >>> > > >>> yeah... I should have put POST. > > >>> > > >>>> > > >>>> The 'problem' with the atomic restful way is that most 'simple' > > >>>> API's don't > > >>>> expose the database internals such as id #555 on a join table which is > > >>>> meaningless to the user. > > >>> > > >>> I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is hidden a bit. > > >> > > >> > > >> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures -d {'id': 1} > > >> > > >> This would be confusing, since in RESTful style, a POST on a > > >> collection (architectures) creates a new architecture. > > > > > > > > > You are correct.. but this for me is when the REST WILL SOLVE ALL > > > ISSUES argument starts to fail. Haveing a resource which is > > > > > > api/v2/operatingsystems_architectures_relationship > > > > > > is just nasty in IMHO. I would prefer a POST to > > > api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a CREATE or > > > FIND based on the presence of hte ID attribute. But, that is just me :) > > > > > > BTw... I am still waiting for the REST client which actually > > > parses the url fragments which REST produces to "follow" the api" > > > > > > -- bk > > > > > > > > I'd suggest something similar to what Bryan came up with > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > > > The reason would be that the relation is not a resource but rather an > > attribute. I'd use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from users > > perspective it alters the os resource. > > > > Makes sense? > > > > M > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "foreman-dev" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >

You can write the docs but wait until the feature is merged in 'develop' until you merge the docs in theforeman.org.

Can you also add this feature issue to redmine.

Thanks,

Joseph

··· ----- Original Message ----- > From: "David Davis" > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:56:49 PM > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > Should I add this to the documentation? > > David > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Joseph Magen" > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55:00 AM > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > OK, I will do this > > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: "Martin Bačovský" > > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:48:02 PM > > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > > > On 01/30/2014 02:31 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote: > > > > On 01/30/2014 08:19 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > > >> ----- Original Message ----- > > > >>> From: "Bryan Kearney" > > > >>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > > >>> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:13:37 PM > > > >>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > >>> > > > >>> On 01/30/2014 02:42 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > > >>>> To be specific and atomic, then you need to treat the many-to-many > > > >>>> relation > > > >>>> as its own resource. This is not the case with our example > > > >>>> > > > >>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24 > > > >>>> > > > >>>> which update all the attributes AND associations for resource > > > >>>> operating > > > >>>> system #24 > > > >>>> > > > >>>> The RESTful way to only add or delete an association (similar to > > > >>>> what we > > > >>>> did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below: (Note > > > >>>> that BOTH > > > >>>> the architecture id and operating system id's already exist) > > > >>>> > > > >>>> Create a new association > > > >>>> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems -d > > > >>>> {'id': 1} > > > >>>> > > > >>>> object created > > > >>>> { > > > >>>> 'id': 555 > > > >>>> 'operatingsystem_id': 24 > > > >>>> 'architecture_id': 1 > > > >>>> } > > > >>>> > > > >>>> Delete an association > > > >>>> DELETE api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems/555 > > > >>>> > > > >>>> This is similar to what Bryan may thought of when he wrote > > > >>>> > > > >>>>> What about a > > > >>>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures > > > >>>> > > > >>>> But the issue here is that PUT requires an ID of a resource to > > > >>>> update. > > > >>> > > > >>> > > > >>> yeah... I should have put POST. > > > >>> > > > >>>> > > > >>>> The 'problem' with the atomic restful way is that most 'simple' > > > >>>> API's don't > > > >>>> expose the database internals such as id #555 on a join table which > > > >>>> is > > > >>>> meaningless to the user. > > > >>> > > > >>> I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is hidden a > > > >>> bit. > > > >> > > > >> > > > >> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures -d {'id': 1} > > > >> > > > >> This would be confusing, since in RESTful style, a POST on a > > > >> collection (architectures) creates a new architecture. > > > > > > > > > > > > You are correct.. but this for me is when the REST WILL SOLVE ALL > > > > ISSUES argument starts to fail. Haveing a resource which is > > > > > > > > api/v2/operatingsystems_architectures_relationship > > > > > > > > is just nasty in IMHO. I would prefer a POST to > > > > api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a CREATE or > > > > FIND based on the presence of hte ID attribute. But, that is just me :) > > > > > > > > BTw... I am still waiting for the REST client which actually > > > > parses the url fragments which REST produces to "follow" the api" > > > > > > > > > > > > -- bk > > > > > > > > > > > I'd suggest something similar to what Bryan came up with > > > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > > > > > The reason would be that the relation is not a resource but rather an > > > attribute. I'd use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from users > > > perspective it alters the os resource. > > > > > > Makes sense? > > > > > > M > > > > > > -- > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > > "foreman-dev" group. > > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "foreman-dev" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >

Reviving an old thread

I push a new commit to https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1068 entited

fixes #5780 - API v2 - RESTful way to add/remove many-to-many association one at a time rather than passing all id's

It is part of the PR to add's nested routes.

I only included adding/removing many-to-many relationship between architectures & operating systems. If we all agree, then I'll add the other n:n associations.

In short, the RESTful way is this

POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems
DELETE /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems

However, I changed it slightly to

POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/add
DELETE /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/remove

I don't see the advantage of exposing 'architecture_operatingsystems' in the path. Even tough the keywords such as "add, create, delete, remove" usually don't appear in the URL as they are inferred by HTTP VERBS, I think in this case, it's more intuitive than having a meaninglessly join-table name.

What are your thoughts?

Joseph
Red Hat Engineering

··· ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Joseph Magen" > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:06:04 PM > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > You can write the docs but wait until the feature is merged in 'develop' > until you merge the docs in theforeman.org. > > Can you also add this feature issue to redmine. > > Thanks, > > Joseph > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "David Davis" > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:56:49 PM > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > Should I add this to the documentation? > > > > David > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: "Joseph Magen" > > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55:00 AM > > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > > > OK, I will do this > > > > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > > > > > > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > > From: "Martin Bačovský" > > > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:48:02 PM > > > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > > > > > On 01/30/2014 02:31 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote: > > > > > On 01/30/2014 08:19 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > > > >> ----- Original Message ----- > > > > >>> From: "Bryan Kearney" > > > > >>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > > > >>> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:13:37 PM > > > > >>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > >>> > > > > >>> On 01/30/2014 02:42 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > > > >>>> To be specific and atomic, then you need to treat the many-to-many > > > > >>>> relation > > > > >>>> as its own resource. This is not the case with our example > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24 > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> which update all the attributes AND associations for resource > > > > >>>> operating > > > > >>>> system #24 > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> The RESTful way to only add or delete an association (similar to > > > > >>>> what we > > > > >>>> did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below: (Note > > > > >>>> that BOTH > > > > >>>> the architecture id and operating system id's already exist) > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> Create a new association > > > > >>>> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems -d > > > > >>>> {'id': 1} > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> object created > > > > >>>> { > > > > >>>> 'id': 555 > > > > >>>> 'operatingsystem_id': 24 > > > > >>>> 'architecture_id': 1 > > > > >>>> } > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> Delete an association > > > > >>>> DELETE > > > > >>>> api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems/555 > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> This is similar to what Bryan may thought of when he wrote > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>>> What about a > > > > >>>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> But the issue here is that PUT requires an ID of a resource to > > > > >>>> update. > > > > >>> > > > > >>> > > > > >>> yeah... I should have put POST. > > > > >>> > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> The 'problem' with the atomic restful way is that most 'simple' > > > > >>>> API's don't > > > > >>>> expose the database internals such as id #555 on a join table > > > > >>>> which > > > > >>>> is > > > > >>>> meaningless to the user. > > > > >>> > > > > >>> I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is hidden a > > > > >>> bit. > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > > >> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures -d {'id': 1} > > > > >> > > > > >> This would be confusing, since in RESTful style, a POST on a > > > > >> collection (architectures) creates a new architecture. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > You are correct.. but this for me is when the REST WILL SOLVE ALL > > > > > ISSUES argument starts to fail. Haveing a resource which is > > > > > > > > > > api/v2/operatingsystems_architectures_relationship > > > > > > > > > > is just nasty in IMHO. I would prefer a POST to > > > > > api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a CREATE > > > > > or > > > > > FIND based on the presence of hte ID attribute. But, that is just me > > > > > :) > > > > > > > > > > BTw... I am still waiting for the REST client which actually > > > > > parses the url fragments which REST produces to "follow" the api" > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- bk > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I'd suggest something similar to what Bryan came up with > > > > > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > > > > > > > The reason would be that the relation is not a resource but rather an > > > > attribute. I'd use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from users > > > > perspective it alters the os resource. > > > > > > > > Makes sense? > > > > > > > > M > > > > > > > > -- > > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > > > Groups > > > > "foreman-dev" group. > > > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > > > > an > > > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > > "foreman-dev" group. > > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "foreman-dev" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >

> Reviving an old thread
>
> I push a new commit to https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1068
> entited
>
> fixes #5780 - API v2 - RESTful way to add/remove many-to-many association
> one at a time rather than passing all id's
>
> It is part of the PR to add's nested routes.
>
> I only included adding/removing many-to-many relationship between
> architectures & operating systems. If we all agree, then I'll add the other
> n:n associations.
>
> In short, the RESTful way is this
>
> POST
> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems
> DELETE
> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems
>
> However, I changed it slightly to
>
> POST
> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/add
> DELETE
> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/remove

Wouldn't be the the RESTful way?:

POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures { "architecture_id": 1}
DELETE /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id

POST and DELETE already should have the meaning of adding/removing the resource

I might have missed the discussion around that, so somebody might just update
me on the reasons for choosing this path?

Thanks

– Ivan

··· ----- Original Message -----

I don’t see the advantage of exposing ‘architecture_operatingsystems’ in the
path. Even tough the keywords such as “add, create, delete, remove” usually
don’t appear in the URL as they are inferred by HTTP VERBS, I think in this
case, it’s more intuitive than having a meaninglessly join-table name.

What are your thoughts?

Joseph
Red Hat Engineering

Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:06:04 PM

You can write the docs but wait until the feature is merged in 'develop’
until you merge the docs in theforeman.org.

Thanks,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:56:49 PM

David

Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55:00 AM

OK, I will do this

To be specific and atomic, then you need to treat the
many-to-many
relation

operating
system #24

what we
that BOTH

Create a new association
POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems
-d

object created
{
}

Delete an association
DELETE
api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems/555

What about a

But the issue here is that PUT requires an ID of a resource to
update.

API’s don’t
expose the database internals such as id #555 on a join table
which
is
meaningless to the user.

I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is hidden
a
bit.

api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a CREATE
or
FIND based on the presence of hte ID attribute. But, that is just
me
:slight_smile:

– bk

Makes sense?

M

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send
an

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an

"foreman-dev" group.

"foreman-dev" group.

"foreman-dev" group.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Refer to this PR instead of what was previously written.

https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1454

··· ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Joseph Magen" > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2014 6:01:36 PM > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > Reviving an old thread > > I push a new commit to https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1068 > entited > > fixes #5780 - API v2 - RESTful way to add/remove many-to-many association > one at a time rather than passing all id's > > It is part of the PR to add's nested routes. > > I only included adding/removing many-to-many relationship between > architectures & operating systems. If we all agree, then I'll add the other > n:n associations. > > In short, the RESTful way is this > > POST > /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems > DELETE > /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems > > However, I changed it slightly to > > POST > /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/add > DELETE > /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/remove > > I don't see the advantage of exposing 'architecture_operatingsystems' in the > path. Even tough the keywords such as "add, create, delete, remove" usually > don't appear in the URL as they are inferred by HTTP VERBS, I think in this > case, it's more intuitive than having a meaninglessly join-table name. > > What are your thoughts? > > Joseph > Red Hat Engineering > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Joseph Magen" > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:06:04 PM > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > You can write the docs but wait until the feature is merged in 'develop' > > until you merge the docs in theforeman.org. > > > > Can you also add this feature issue to redmine. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Joseph > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: "David Davis" > > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:56:49 PM > > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > > > Should I add this to the documentation? > > > > > > David > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > > From: "Joseph Magen" > > > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55:00 AM > > > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > > > > > OK, I will do this > > > > > > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > > > From: "Martin Bačovský" > > > > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > > > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:48:02 PM > > > > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > > > > > > > On 01/30/2014 02:31 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote: > > > > > > On 01/30/2014 08:19 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > > > > >> ----- Original Message ----- > > > > > >>> From: "Bryan Kearney" > > > > > >>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > > > > >>> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:13:37 PM > > > > > >>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > > >>> > > > > > >>> On 01/30/2014 02:42 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > > > > >>>> To be specific and atomic, then you need to treat the > > > > > >>>> many-to-many > > > > > >>>> relation > > > > > >>>> as its own resource. This is not the case with our example > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24 > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>> which update all the attributes AND associations for resource > > > > > >>>> operating > > > > > >>>> system #24 > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>> The RESTful way to only add or delete an association (similar to > > > > > >>>> what we > > > > > >>>> did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below: (Note > > > > > >>>> that BOTH > > > > > >>>> the architecture id and operating system id's already exist) > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>> Create a new association > > > > > >>>> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems > > > > > >>>> -d > > > > > >>>> {'id': 1} > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>> object created > > > > > >>>> { > > > > > >>>> 'id': 555 > > > > > >>>> 'operatingsystem_id': 24 > > > > > >>>> 'architecture_id': 1 > > > > > >>>> } > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>> Delete an association > > > > > >>>> DELETE > > > > > >>>> api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems/555 > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>> This is similar to what Bryan may thought of when he wrote > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>>> What about a > > > > > >>>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>> But the issue here is that PUT requires an ID of a resource to > > > > > >>>> update. > > > > > >>> > > > > > >>> > > > > > >>> yeah... I should have put POST. > > > > > >>> > > > > > >>>> > > > > > >>>> The 'problem' with the atomic restful way is that most 'simple' > > > > > >>>> API's don't > > > > > >>>> expose the database internals such as id #555 on a join table > > > > > >>>> which > > > > > >>>> is > > > > > >>>> meaningless to the user. > > > > > >>> > > > > > >>> I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is hidden > > > > > >>> a > > > > > >>> bit. > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > > > >> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures -d {'id': 1} > > > > > >> > > > > > >> This would be confusing, since in RESTful style, a POST on a > > > > > >> collection (architectures) creates a new architecture. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > You are correct.. but this for me is when the REST WILL SOLVE ALL > > > > > > ISSUES argument starts to fail. Haveing a resource which is > > > > > > > > > > > > api/v2/operatingsystems_architectures_relationship > > > > > > > > > > > > is just nasty in IMHO. I would prefer a POST to > > > > > > api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a CREATE > > > > > > or > > > > > > FIND based on the presence of hte ID attribute. But, that is just > > > > > > me > > > > > > :) > > > > > > > > > > > > BTw... I am still waiting for the REST client which actually > > > > > > parses the url fragments which REST produces to "follow" the api" > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- bk > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I'd suggest something similar to what Bryan came up with > > > > > > > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > > > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > > > > > > > > > The reason would be that the relation is not a resource but rather an > > > > > attribute. I'd use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from users > > > > > perspective it alters the os resource. > > > > > > > > > > Makes sense? > > > > > > > > > > M > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > > > > Groups > > > > > "foreman-dev" group. > > > > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, > > > > > send > > > > > an > > > > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > > > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > > > Groups > > > > "foreman-dev" group. > > > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > > > > an > > > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > > "foreman-dev" group. > > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "foreman-dev" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > >

>
>
> > Reviving an old thread
> >
> > I push a new commit to https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1068
> > entited
> >
> > fixes #5780 - API v2 - RESTful way to add/remove many-to-many
> > association
> > one at a time rather than passing all id's
> >
> > It is part of the PR to add's nested routes.
> >
> > I only included adding/removing many-to-many relationship between
> > architectures & operating systems. If we all agree, then I'll add the other
> > n:n associations.
> >
> > In short, the RESTful way is this
> >
> > POST
> > /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems
> > DELETE
> > /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems
> >
> > However, I changed it slightly to
> >
> > POST
> > /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/add
> > DELETE
> > /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/remove
>
> Wouldn't be the the RESTful way?:
>
> POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures { "architecture_id":
> 1}
> DELETE /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id
>
> POST and DELETE already should have the meaning of adding/removing the
> resource
>
> I might have missed the discussion around that, so somebody might just update
> me on the reasons for choosing this path?
>
> Thanks
>
> – Ivan
>
> >
> > I don't see the advantage of exposing 'architecture_operatingsystems' in
> > the
> > path. Even tough the keywords such as "add, create, delete, remove" usually
> > don't appear in the URL as they are inferred by HTTP VERBS, I think in this
> > case, it's more intuitive than having a meaninglessly join-table name.

+1 on not exposing the ArchitectureOperatingSystem as a resource.

··· ----- Original Message ----- > ----- Original Message -----

What are your thoughts?

Joseph
Red Hat Engineering

Thanks,

Joseph

David

OK, I will do this

many-to-many
relation

operating
system #24

The RESTful way to only add or delete an association (similar
to
what we
did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below:
(Note
that BOTH

Create a new association
-d

object created
{
}

Delete an association
DELETE

What about a

update.

The ‘problem’ with the atomic restful way is that most
’simple’
API’s don’t
which
is
meaningless to the user.

I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is
hidden
a
bit.

api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a
CREATE
or
me

BTw… I am still waiting for the REST client which
actually

– bk

The reason would be that the relation is not a resource but rather
an
attribute. I’d use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from
users

Makes sense?

M

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
send
an

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
send
an

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
an

"foreman-dev" group.

"foreman-dev" group.

>
>
>> Reviving an old thread
>>
>> I push a new commit to https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1068
>> entited
>>
>> fixes #5780 - API v2 - RESTful way to add/remove many-to-many association
>> one at a time rather than passing all id's
>>
>> It is part of the PR to add's nested routes.
>>
>> I only included adding/removing many-to-many relationship between
>> architectures & operating systems. If we all agree, then I'll add the other
>> n:n associations.
>>
>> In short, the RESTful way is this
>>
>> POST
>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems
>> DELETE
>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems
>>
>> However, I changed it slightly to
>>
>> POST
>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/add
>> DELETE
>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/remove
>
>
> POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures { "architecture_id": 1}
>
> POST and DELETE already should have the meaning of adding/removing the resource

+1

··· On 19.05.14 9:44, Ivan Necas wrote: > ----- Original Message -----

I might have missed the discussion around that, so somebody might just update
me on the reasons for choosing this path?

Thanks

– Ivan

What are your thoughts?

Joseph
Red Hat Engineering

Thanks,

Joseph

David

OK, I will do this

many-to-many
relation

operating
system #24

what we
that BOTH

Create a new association
-d

object created
{
}

Delete an association
DELETE

What about a

update.

API’s don’t
which
is
meaningless to the user.

a
bit.

or
me

– bk

Makes sense?

M

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
send
an

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
an

"foreman-dev" group.

"foreman-dev" group.

"foreman-dev" group.

>
>> Reviving an old thread
>>
>> I push a new commit to https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1068
>> entited
>>
>> fixes #5780 - API v2 - RESTful way to add/remove many-to-many association
>> one at a time rather than passing all id's
>>
>> It is part of the PR to add's nested routes.
>>
>> I only included adding/removing many-to-many relationship between
>> architectures & operating systems. If we all agree, then I'll add the other
>> n:n associations.
>>
>> In short, the RESTful way is this
>>
>> POST
>> DELETE
>>
>> However, I changed it slightly to
>>
>> POST
>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/add
>> DELETE
>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/remove
>
> POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures { "architecture_id": 1}
>
> POST and DELETE already should have the meaning of adding/removing the resource
>
> I might have missed the discussion around that, so somebody might just update
> me on the reasons for choosing this path?
>
> Thanks
>
> – Ivan
>
+1 for Ivan's suggestion or we can use

if don't see os-architecture relationship as a resource.

I'm okay with any of these two

M

··· On 05/19/2014 09:44 AM, Ivan Necas wrote: > ----- Original Message -----

What are your thoughts?

Joseph
Red Hat Engineering

Thanks,

Joseph

David

OK, I will do this

many-to-many
relation

operating
system #24

what we
that BOTH

Create a new association
-d

object created
{
}

Delete an association
DELETE

What about a

update.

API’s don’t
which
is
meaningless to the user.

a
bit.

or
me

– bk

Makes sense?

M

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
send
an

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
an

"foreman-dev" group.

"foreman-dev" group.

"foreman-dev" group.

>
>>
>>
>>> Reviving an old thread
>>>
>>> I push a new commit to https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1068
>>> entited
>>>
>>> fixes #5780 - API v2 - RESTful way to add/remove many-to-many
>>> association
>>> one at a time rather than passing all id's
>>>
>>> It is part of the PR to add's nested routes.
>>>
>>> I only included adding/removing many-to-many relationship between
>>> architectures & operating systems. If we all agree, then I'll add the other
>>> n:n associations.
>>>
>>> In short, the RESTful way is this
>>>
>>> POST
>>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems
>>> DELETE
>>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems
>>>
>>> However, I changed it slightly to
>>>
>>> POST
>>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/add
>>> DELETE
>>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/remove
>>
>> Wouldn't be the the RESTful way?:
>>
>> POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures { "architecture_id":
>> 1}
>> DELETE /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id
>>
>> POST and DELETE already should have the meaning of adding/removing the
>> resource

I know rest purists might argue but I find Ivan's routes more intuitive.

Just out of my curiosity, what way is used in katello at the moment?
Ideally we should be converging to a consistent route style.

Joseph, is there any "api guidelines" document, we could refer to, please?

>>
>> I might have missed the discussion around that, so somebody might just update
>> me on the reasons for choosing this path?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> – Ivan
>>
>>>
>>> I don't see the advantage of exposing 'architecture_operatingsystems' in
>>> the
>>> path. Even tough the keywords such as "add, create, delete, remove" usually
>>> don't appear in the URL as they are inferred by HTTP VERBS, I think in this
>>> case, it's more intuitive than having a meaninglessly join-table name.
>
> +1 on not exposing the ArchitectureOperatingSystem as a resource.

+1 let's not expose them, please.

··· On 05/19/2014 09:47 AM, Ivan Necas wrote: > ----- Original Message ----- >> ----- Original Message -----

What are your thoughts?

Joseph
Red Hat Engineering

Thanks,

Joseph

David

OK, I will do this

many-to-many
relation

operating
system #24

The RESTful way to only add or delete an association (similar
to
what we
did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below:
(Note
that BOTH

Create a new association
-d

object created
{
}

Delete an association
DELETE

What about a

update.

The ‘problem’ with the atomic restful way is that most
’simple’
API’s don’t
which
is
meaningless to the user.

I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is
hidden
a
bit.

api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a
CREATE
or
me

BTw… I am still waiting for the REST client which
actually

– bk

The reason would be that the relation is not a resource but rather
an
attribute. I’d use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from
users

Makes sense?

M

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
send
an

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
send
an

Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
an

"foreman-dev" group.

"foreman-dev" group.

In Katello, we do it two ways. We support the foreman/hammer method:

POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id {"architecture_ids": [1,2,3]}
DELETE /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id {"architecture_ids": [1,2,3]}

And we have a way to add/remove individual items:

PUT /operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2
DELETE /operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2

David

··· ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Tomas Strachota" > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 5:09:19 AM > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > On 05/19/2014 09:47 AM, Ivan Necas wrote: > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > >> > >> > >> ----- Original Message ----- > >>> Reviving an old thread > >>> > >>> I push a new commit to https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1068 > >>> entited > >>> > >>> fixes #5780 - API v2 - RESTful way to add/remove many-to-many > >>> association > >>> one at a time rather than passing all id's > >>> > >>> It is part of the PR to add's nested routes. > >>> > >>> I only included adding/removing many-to-many relationship between > >>> architectures & operating systems. If we all agree, then I'll add the > >>> other > >>> n:n associations. > >>> > >>> In short, the RESTful way is this > >>> > >>> POST > >>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems > >>> DELETE > >>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems > >>> > >>> However, I changed it slightly to > >>> > >>> POST > >>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/add > >>> DELETE > >>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/remove > >> > >> Wouldn't be the the RESTful way?: > >> > >> POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures { > >> "architecture_id": > >> 1} > >> DELETE > >> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id > >> > >> POST and DELETE already should have the meaning of adding/removing the > >> resource > > I know rest purists might argue but I find Ivan's routes more intuitive. > > Just out of my curiosity, what way is used in katello at the moment? > Ideally we should be converging to a consistent route style. > > Joseph, is there any "api guidelines" document, we could refer to, please? > > >> > >> I might have missed the discussion around that, so somebody might just > >> update > >> me on the reasons for choosing this path? > >> > >> Thanks > >> > >> -- Ivan > >> > >>> > >>> I don't see the advantage of exposing 'architecture_operatingsystems' in > >>> the > >>> path. Even tough the keywords such as "add, create, delete, remove" > >>> usually > >>> don't appear in the URL as they are inferred by HTTP VERBS, I think in > >>> this > >>> case, it's more intuitive than having a meaninglessly join-table name. > > > > +1 on not exposing the ArchitectureOperatingSystem as a resource. > > +1 let's not expose them, please. > > > > >>> > >>> What are your thoughts? > >>> > >>> Joseph > >>> Red Hat Engineering > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> ----- Original Message ----- > >>>> From: "Joseph Magen" > >>>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > >>>> Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:06:04 PM > >>>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > >>>> > >>>> You can write the docs but wait until the feature is merged in 'develop' > >>>> until you merge the docs in theforeman.org. > >>>> > >>>> Can you also add this feature issue to redmine. > >>>> > >>>> Thanks, > >>>> > >>>> Joseph > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> ----- Original Message ----- > >>>>> From: "David Davis" > >>>>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > >>>>> Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:56:49 PM > >>>>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > >>>>> > >>>>> Should I add this to the documentation? > >>>>> > >>>>> David > >>>>> > >>>>> ----- Original Message ----- > >>>>> > From: "Joseph Magen" > >>>>> > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > >>>>> > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55:00 AM > >>>>> > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > >>>>> > > >>>>> > OK, I will do this > >>>>> > > >>>>> > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > >>>>> > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > >>>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>>> > ----- Original Message ----- > >>>>> > > From: "Martin Bačovský" > >>>>> > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > >>>>> > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:48:02 PM > >>>>> > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > On 01/30/2014 02:31 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote: > >>>>> > > > On 01/30/2014 08:19 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > >>>>> > > >> ----- Original Message ----- > >>>>> > > >>> From: "Bryan Kearney" > >>>>> > > >>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > >>>>> > > >>> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:13:37 PM > >>>>> > > >>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > >>>>> > > >>> > >>>>> > > >>> On 01/30/2014 02:42 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > >>>>> > > >>>> To be specific and atomic, then you need to treat the > >>>>> > > >>>> many-to-many > >>>>> > > >>>> relation > >>>>> > > >>>> as its own resource. This is not the case with our example > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24 > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>> which update all the attributes AND associations for resource > >>>>> > > >>>> operating > >>>>> > > >>>> system #24 > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>> The RESTful way to only add or delete an association (similar > >>>>> > > >>>> to > >>>>> > > >>>> what we > >>>>> > > >>>> did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below: > >>>>> > > >>>> (Note > >>>>> > > >>>> that BOTH > >>>>> > > >>>> the architecture id and operating system id's already exist) > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>> Create a new association > >>>>> > > >>>> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems > >>>>> > > >>>> -d > >>>>> > > >>>> {'id': 1} > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>> object created > >>>>> > > >>>> { > >>>>> > > >>>> 'id': 555 > >>>>> > > >>>> 'operatingsystem_id': 24 > >>>>> > > >>>> 'architecture_id': 1 > >>>>> > > >>>> } > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>> Delete an association > >>>>> > > >>>> DELETE > >>>>> > > >>>> api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems/555 > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>> This is similar to what Bryan may thought of when he wrote > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>>> What about a > >>>>> > > >>>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>> But the issue here is that PUT requires an ID of a resource to > >>>>> > > >>>> update. > >>>>> > > >>> > >>>>> > > >>> > >>>>> > > >>> yeah... I should have put POST. > >>>>> > > >>> > >>>>> > > >>>> > >>>>> > > >>>> The 'problem' with the atomic restful way is that most > >>>>> > > >>>> 'simple' > >>>>> > > >>>> API's don't > >>>>> > > >>>> expose the database internals such as id #555 on a join table > >>>>> > > >>>> which > >>>>> > > >>>> is > >>>>> > > >>>> meaningless to the user. > >>>>> > > >>> > >>>>> > > >>> I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is > >>>>> > > >>> hidden > >>>>> > > >>> a > >>>>> > > >>> bit. > >>>>> > > >> > >>>>> > > >> > >>>>> > > >> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures -d {'id': 1} > >>>>> > > >> > >>>>> > > >> This would be confusing, since in RESTful style, a POST on a > >>>>> > > >> collection (architectures) creates a new architecture. > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > > You are correct.. but this for me is when the REST WILL SOLVE ALL > >>>>> > > > ISSUES argument starts to fail. Haveing a resource which is > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > > api/v2/operatingsystems_architectures_relationship > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > > is just nasty in IMHO. I would prefer a POST to > >>>>> > > > api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a > >>>>> > > > CREATE > >>>>> > > > or > >>>>> > > > FIND based on the presence of hte ID attribute. But, that is just > >>>>> > > > me > >>>>> > > > :) > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > > BTw... I am still waiting for the REST client which > >>>>> > > > actually > >>>>> > > > parses the url fragments which REST produces to "follow" the api" > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > > -- bk > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > I'd suggest something similar to what Bryan came up with > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > >>>>> > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > The reason would be that the relation is not a resource but rather > >>>>> > > an > >>>>> > > attribute. I'd use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from > >>>>> > > users > >>>>> > > perspective it alters the os resource. > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > Makes sense? > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > M > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > -- > >>>>> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > >>>>> > > Groups > >>>>> > > "foreman-dev" group. > >>>>> > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, > >>>>> > > send > >>>>> > > an > >>>>> > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > >>>>> > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > >>>>> > -- > >>>>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > >>>>> > Groups > >>>>> > "foreman-dev" group. > >>>>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, > >>>>> > send > >>>>> > an > >>>>> > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > >>>>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > >>>>> > > >>>>> > >>>>> -- > >>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > >>>>> Groups > >>>>> "foreman-dev" group. > >>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > >>>>> an > >>>>> email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > >>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > >>>>> > >>>> > >>>> -- > >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > >>>> Groups > >>>> "foreman-dev" group. > >>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > >>>> an > >>>> email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > >>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > >>>> > >>> > >>> -- > >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > >>> "foreman-dev" group. > >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > >>> email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > >>> > >> > > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >

Actually, I messed that up. It should be:

PUT /operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2
PUT /operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2

David

··· ----- Original Message ----- > From: "David Davis" > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 9:07:38 AM > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > In Katello, we do it two ways. We support the foreman/hammer method: > > POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id {"architecture_ids": [1,2,3]} > DELETE /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id {"architecture_ids": [1,2,3]} > > And we have a way to add/remove individual items: > > PUT /operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > DELETE /operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > David > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Tomas Strachota" > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 5:09:19 AM > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > > > On 05/19/2014 09:47 AM, Ivan Necas wrote: > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > >> > > >> > > >> ----- Original Message ----- > > >>> Reviving an old thread > > >>> > > >>> I push a new commit to https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/1068 > > >>> entited > > >>> > > >>> fixes #5780 - API v2 - RESTful way to add/remove many-to-many > > >>> association > > >>> one at a time rather than passing all id's > > >>> > > >>> It is part of the PR to add's nested routes. > > >>> > > >>> I only included adding/removing many-to-many relationship between > > >>> architectures & operating systems. If we all agree, then I'll add the > > >>> other > > >>> n:n associations. > > >>> > > >>> In short, the RESTful way is this > > >>> > > >>> POST > > >>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems > > >>> DELETE > > >>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/architecture_operatingsystems > > >>> > > >>> However, I changed it slightly to > > >>> > > >>> POST > > >>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/add > > >>> DELETE > > >>> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id/remove > > >> > > >> Wouldn't be the the RESTful way?: > > >> > > >> POST /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures { > > >> "architecture_id": > > >> 1} > > >> DELETE > > >> /operatingsystems/:operatingsystem_id/architectures/:architecture_id > > >> > > >> POST and DELETE already should have the meaning of adding/removing the > > >> resource > > > > I know rest purists might argue but I find Ivan's routes more intuitive. > > > > Just out of my curiosity, what way is used in katello at the moment? > > Ideally we should be converging to a consistent route style. > > > > Joseph, is there any "api guidelines" document, we could refer to, please? > > > > >> > > >> I might have missed the discussion around that, so somebody might just > > >> update > > >> me on the reasons for choosing this path? > > >> > > >> Thanks > > >> > > >> -- Ivan > > >> > > >>> > > >>> I don't see the advantage of exposing 'architecture_operatingsystems' > > >>> in > > >>> the > > >>> path. Even tough the keywords such as "add, create, delete, remove" > > >>> usually > > >>> don't appear in the URL as they are inferred by HTTP VERBS, I think in > > >>> this > > >>> case, it's more intuitive than having a meaninglessly join-table name. > > > > > > +1 on not exposing the ArchitectureOperatingSystem as a resource. > > > > +1 let's not expose them, please. > > > > > > > >>> > > >>> What are your thoughts? > > >>> > > >>> Joseph > > >>> Red Hat Engineering > > >>> > > >>> > > >>> > > >>> ----- Original Message ----- > > >>>> From: "Joseph Magen" > > >>>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > >>>> Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:06:04 PM > > >>>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > >>>> > > >>>> You can write the docs but wait until the feature is merged in > > >>>> 'develop' > > >>>> until you merge the docs in theforeman.org. > > >>>> > > >>>> Can you also add this feature issue to redmine. > > >>>> > > >>>> Thanks, > > >>>> > > >>>> Joseph > > >>>> > > >>>> > > >>>> ----- Original Message ----- > > >>>>> From: "David Davis" > > >>>>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > >>>>> Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:56:49 PM > > >>>>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > >>>>> > > >>>>> Should I add this to the documentation? > > >>>>> > > >>>>> David > > >>>>> > > >>>>> ----- Original Message ----- > > >>>>> > From: "Joseph Magen" > > >>>>> > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > >>>>> > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:55:00 AM > > >>>>> > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > OK, I will do this > > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > >>>>> > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > ----- Original Message ----- > > >>>>> > > From: "Martin Bačovský" > > >>>>> > > To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > >>>>> > > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:48:02 PM > > >>>>> > > Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many relationships > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > On 01/30/2014 02:31 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote: > > >>>>> > > > On 01/30/2014 08:19 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > >>>>> > > >> ----- Original Message ----- > > >>>>> > > >>> From: "Bryan Kearney" > > >>>>> > > >>> To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com > > >>>>> > > >>> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:13:37 PM > > >>>>> > > >>> Subject: Re: [foreman-dev] Updating many-to-many > > >>>>> > > >>> relationships > > >>>>> > > >>> > > >>>>> > > >>> On 01/30/2014 02:42 AM, Joseph Magen wrote: > > >>>>> > > >>>> To be specific and atomic, then you need to treat the > > >>>>> > > >>>> many-to-many > > >>>>> > > >>>> relation > > >>>>> > > >>>> as its own resource. This is not the case with our example > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24 > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> which update all the attributes AND associations for > > >>>>> > > >>>> resource > > >>>>> > > >>>> operating > > >>>>> > > >>>> system #24 > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> The RESTful way to only add or delete an association > > >>>>> > > >>>> (similar > > >>>>> > > >>>> to > > >>>>> > > >>>> what we > > >>>>> > > >>>> did for host_classes and hostgroup_classes) is this below: > > >>>>> > > >>>> (Note > > >>>>> > > >>>> that BOTH > > >>>>> > > >>>> the architecture id and operating system id's already exist) > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> Create a new association > > >>>>> > > >>>> POST > > >>>>> > > >>>> api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems > > >>>>> > > >>>> -d > > >>>>> > > >>>> {'id': 1} > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> object created > > >>>>> > > >>>> { > > >>>>> > > >>>> 'id': 555 > > >>>>> > > >>>> 'operatingsystem_id': 24 > > >>>>> > > >>>> 'architecture_id': 1 > > >>>>> > > >>>> } > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> Delete an association > > >>>>> > > >>>> DELETE > > >>>>> > > >>>> api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures_operatingsystems/555 > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> This is similar to what Bryan may thought of when he wrote > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>>> What about a > > >>>>> > > >>>>> PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> But the issue here is that PUT requires an ID of a resource > > >>>>> > > >>>> to > > >>>>> > > >>>> update. > > >>>>> > > >>> > > >>>>> > > >>> > > >>>>> > > >>> yeah... I should have put POST. > > >>>>> > > >>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>>> > > >>>> The 'problem' with the atomic restful way is that most > > >>>>> > > >>>> 'simple' > > >>>>> > > >>>> API's don't > > >>>>> > > >>>> expose the database internals such as id #555 on a join > > >>>>> > > >>>> table > > >>>>> > > >>>> which > > >>>>> > > >>>> is > > >>>>> > > >>>> meaningless to the user. > > >>>>> > > >>> > > >>>>> > > >>> I would make it architectures. That way the join parrt is > > >>>>> > > >>> hidden > > >>>>> > > >>> a > > >>>>> > > >>> bit. > > >>>>> > > >> > > >>>>> > > >> > > >>>>> > > >> POST api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures -d {'id': 1} > > >>>>> > > >> > > >>>>> > > >> This would be confusing, since in RESTful style, a POST on a > > >>>>> > > >> collection (architectures) creates a new architecture. > > >>>>> > > > > > >>>>> > > > > > >>>>> > > > You are correct.. but this for me is when the REST WILL SOLVE > > >>>>> > > > ALL > > >>>>> > > > ISSUES argument starts to fail. Haveing a resource which is > > >>>>> > > > > > >>>>> > > > api/v2/operatingsystems_architectures_relationship > > >>>>> > > > > > >>>>> > > > is just nasty in IMHO. I would prefer a POST to > > >>>>> > > > api/v2/operatingsystems/24/architectures which either does a > > >>>>> > > > CREATE > > >>>>> > > > or > > >>>>> > > > FIND based on the presence of hte ID attribute. But, that is > > >>>>> > > > just > > >>>>> > > > me > > >>>>> > > > :) > > >>>>> > > > > > >>>>> > > > BTw... I am still waiting for the REST client which > > >>>>> > > > actually > > >>>>> > > > parses the url fragments which REST produces to "follow" the > > >>>>> > > > api" > > >>>>> > > > > > >>>>> > > > > > >>>>> > > > -- bk > > >>>>> > > > > > >>>>> > > > > > >>>>> > > I'd suggest something similar to what Bryan came up with > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/add_architecture/2 > > >>>>> > > PUT api/v2/operatingsystems/24/remove_architecture/2 > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > The reason would be that the relation is not a resource but > > >>>>> > > rather > > >>>>> > > an > > >>>>> > > attribute. I'd use PUT as the operation is idempotent and from > > >>>>> > > users > > >>>>> > > perspective it alters the os resource. > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > Makes sense? > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > M > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > -- > > >>>>> > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the > > >>>>> > > Google > > >>>>> > > Groups > > >>>>> > > "foreman-dev" group. > > >>>>> > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, > > >>>>> > > send > > >>>>> > > an > > >>>>> > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > >>>>> > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > -- > > >>>>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > >>>>> > Groups > > >>>>> > "foreman-dev" group. > > >>>>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, > > >>>>> > send > > >>>>> > an > > >>>>> > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > >>>>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > >>>>> > > > >>>>> > > >>>>> -- > > >>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > >>>>> Groups > > >>>>> "foreman-dev" group. > > >>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, > > >>>>> send > > >>>>> an > > >>>>> email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > >>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > >>>>> > > >>>> > > >>>> -- > > >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > >>>> Groups > > >>>> "foreman-dev" group. > > >>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > > >>>> an > > >>>> email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > >>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > >>>> > > >>> > > >>> -- > > >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > > >>> Groups > > >>> "foreman-dev" group. > > >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > > >>> an > > >>> email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > >>> > > >> > > > > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "foreman-dev" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >