Using Hiera as well as Puppet smart classes

Hello,

Does anyone uses Hiera as well as puppet smart classes both ? i want to
use Hiera for my infrastructure modules and want to give puppet smart
classes for application teams modules, does that creates any issues, let me
know if someone have experience or suggestion with this?

Regards,
DJ

Ought to be fine. Puppet data binding (Hiera) is used if no parameter
is given from the ENC, i.e. when you don't override it, or you tick the
"Use Puppet default" checkbox.

··· On 08/07/15 18:47, Unix SA wrote: > Hello, > > Does anyone uses Hiera as well as puppet smart classes both ? i want to > use Hiera for my infrastructure modules and want to give puppet smart > classes for application teams modules, does that creates any issues, let > me know if someone have experience or suggestion with this?

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

Hi
We use Hiera alot. Actually we also use smart variables, but only to define
Hiera levels (define roles clusters etc).

Recently we ve opensourced a foreman-hiera-lookup plugin to foreman. This
plugin helps us with an easy acces to varibles from Foreman UI while
keeping evrything under the version control.

https://github.com/ingenico-group/foreman_hiera_lookup

Regards,
Iakov

··· On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 7:47:36 PM UTC+2, Unix SA wrote: > > Hello, > > Does anyone uses Hiera as well as puppet smart classes both ? i want to > use Hiera for my infrastructure modules and want to give puppet smart > classes for application teams modules, does that creates any issues, let me > know if someone have experience or suggestion with this? > > Regards, > DJ >

great, i want my application teams to use smart classes as they will have
easy interface to use and permissioning and infrastructure modules will use
Hiera as they provide version control and simpler hierarchy and not class
level hierarchy …

··· On Thursday, 9 July 2015 18:34:42 UTC+5:30, Dominic Cleal wrote: > > On 08/07/15 18:47, Unix SA wrote: > > Hello, > > > > Does anyone uses Hiera as well as puppet smart classes both ? i want to > > use Hiera for my infrastructure modules and want to give puppet smart > > classes for application teams modules, does that creates any issues, let > > me know if someone have experience or suggestion with this? > > Ought to be fine. Puppet data binding (Hiera) is used if no parameter > is given from the ENC, i.e. when you don't override it, or you tick the > "Use Puppet default" checkbox. > > -- > Dominic Cleal > Red Hat Engineering >