VCenter Thin/Thick Provisioning

Apologies if this is a common issue, I haven't been able to find any help
regarding this.

I am trying to provision a VSphere template from Foreman on VSphere.

We would like to be able to configure disk sizes and ensure that they are
always thick provisioned from within Foreman but when the template is
deployed, it always deploys a thin provisioned disk at the size that the
template was originally built with. The only detail that Foreman is
passing in that VSphere recognises is the data store to install to.

The template itself was built with a thick provisioned disk. Manual
cloning of the template on VSphere with the same credentials gives us the
option of thick provisioning.

Foreman gives a tick box and a box for entering disk capacity but
regardless of what I choose it always installs in the same way, requiring
us to migrate to thick provisioning and to the disk size we need manually
after the template has been deployed.

I've tried this with an account that has administrative rights to VSphere.

VSphere version is 5.5
Foreman version is 1.7.2

Any help would be much appreciated. I also have a question regarding
finisher templates which I'll post separately.

Hi Michael,

This looks like a bug, could you please file a ticket in
Issues - Foreman with all the details you
mention here? That way we can keep track of it more easily than in the
mailing list, link it to the fix, and so forth.

Thank you!

··· On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 1:19 PM, wrote: > Apologies if this is a common issue, I haven't been able to find any help > regarding this. > > I am trying to provision a VSphere template from Foreman on VSphere. > > We would like to be able to configure disk sizes and ensure that they are > always thick provisioned from within Foreman but when the template is > deployed, it always deploys a thin provisioned disk at the size that the > template was originally built with. The only detail that Foreman is passing > in that VSphere recognises is the data store to install to. > > The template itself was built with a thick provisioned disk. Manual cloning > of the template on VSphere with the same credentials gives us the option of > thick provisioning. > > Foreman gives a tick box and a box for entering disk capacity but regardless > of what I choose it always installs in the same way, requiring us to migrate > to thick provisioning and to the disk size we need manually after the > template has been deployed. > > I've tried this with an account that has administrative rights to VSphere. > > VSphere version is 5.5 > Foreman version is 1.7.2 > > Any help would be much appreciated. I also have a question regarding > finisher templates which I'll post separately. > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Daniel Lobato

@elobatoss
blog.daniellobato.me
daniellobato.me

GPG: http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7A92D6DD38D6DE30