We finally have a Jenkins instance!

I spent some time this weekend and an hour or so this afternoon setting
up a Jenkins instance and some slaves to help us test Foreman, the
installer and associated modules, and the proxy. It will also be useful
for automated package builds and pushes, particularly for the nightly
releases.

Currently the only jobs that are working run puppet parser validate
and puppet-lint on the modules. Each module has a job for testing before
the submodule commit SHA gets updated in the foreman-installer repo.
There is also a job that clones the installer repo with its submodules
and runs the parser and lint. These will be really helpful for
ensuring the installer is in working order and will help avoid bugs :slight_smile:

Here are some next steps for Jenkins:

1. Get Foreman unit and functional tests running on platforms other than
    Ubuntu; Travis already covers Ubuntu.
  2. Actually test running the installer from scratch inside an LXC for
    each test run.
  3. Build slaves with different platforms to ensure Foreman itself can
    start, run rake tasks, etc.
  4. Anything else?

There are a few build machines right now (only two of which are setup as
Jenkins slaves for now); a RHEL 6.3 box, a CentOS 6.3 box, Ubuntu 12.04,
CentOS 5.8, and Debian squeeze. I make sure the rest of the machines are
online as build slaves this weekend.

I will get the builds running from Github post-receive hooks tomorrow.
Build changes (from failure to success or vice versa) will be sent into
#theforeman.

Any questions?

I missed an important thing! It's running at http://ci.theforeman.org :slight_smile:

··· On 09/04/2012 04:48 PM, Sam Kottler wrote: > I spent some time this weekend and an hour or so this afternoon setting > up a Jenkins instance and some slaves to help us test Foreman, the > installer and associated modules, and the proxy. It will also be useful > for automated package builds and pushes, particularly for the nightly > releases. > > Currently the only jobs that are working run `puppet parser validate` > and puppet-lint on the modules. Each module has a job for testing before > the submodule commit SHA gets updated in the foreman-installer repo. > There is also a job that clones the installer repo with its submodules > and runs the parser and lint. These will be *really* helpful for > ensuring the installer is in working order and will help avoid bugs :) > > Here are some next steps for Jenkins: > 1) Get Foreman unit and functional tests running on platforms other than > Ubuntu; Travis already covers Ubuntu. > 2) Actually test running the installer from scratch inside an LXC for > each test run. > 3) Build slaves with different platforms to ensure Foreman itself can > start, run rake tasks, etc. > 4) Anything else? > > There are a few build machines right now (only two of which are setup as > Jenkins slaves for now); a RHEL 6.3 box, a CentOS 6.3 box, Ubuntu 12.04, > CentOS 5.8, and Debian squeeze. I make sure the rest of the machines are > online as build slaves this weekend. > > I will get the builds running from Github post-receive hooks tomorrow. > Build changes (from failure to success or vice versa) will be sent into > #theforeman. > > Any questions?

Awesome! Looking forward to adding to this myself in the next few weeks :slight_smile:

··· On 4 September 2012 21:49, Sam Kottler wrote: > I missed an important thing! It's running at http://ci.theforeman.org :)