Whats the preferred base operating system for Katello

Hi all,

I detected differences between Foreman and Katello documentation. So I asked myself, what is the preferred installation base of Katello.

In the Foreman documentation, there is no “tested” section, only supported operating systems: Installing Foreman Server with Katello 4.13 plugin on Enterprise Linux

In the Katello documentation, there is a “tested” and a supported os section: Foreman :: Manual

I have installed Katello 4.12 on CentOS 8 Stream. This OS is out of support. Is it a good idea to switch to RHEL 9? This would be my preferred way, but I have some bad experiences in the past with Katello 3.8-3.12 and RHEL.

Thanks very much

Right now Katello runs and is supported on both EL8 and EL9.

There is discussion about dropping support for EL8 so that Foreman 3.13 / Katello 4.15 would be EL9-only, and not run on EL8: Drop support for running on EL8 with Foreman 3.13

For that reason, EL9 may be a better bet in the long run.

Hi @jeremylenz,

thanks very much for your answer. In the past, Foreman with Katello Plugin was tested on CentOS, but was supported RedHat, too. This was the reason, why we switched from RedHat to CentOS (than CentOS stream), because there was some package dependency pain on RedHat Releases (RHEL7).

What should we do now? Should we proceed with CentOS Stream 9 (EL9) or can we switch back to RedHat 9, because Foreman with Katello plugin will be tested on RHEL9?

I only want to take care, that the application foreman and katello runs on a plattform you (foreman devs) are using for testing.

Thanks very much

You can use whichever you prefer! We develop on CentOS Stream 9 if that makes a difference to you.

Thank you very much :slight_smile: