2018 community survey

It's time (again, :P) to start drafting the community survey for while we're in Belgium next year :)

I'm short on time today, so here's a link to last year's survey. Much of the generic questions will remain the same, they seem to work. What other burning issues would people like data on? What needs more detail? What can be dropped?

https://theforeman.org/2017/03/2017-foreman-survey-analysis.html

I'll get to work stripping out the outdated questions and incorporating new ones sometime next week.

Greg
What did we use the data for last year?

I ask because be able to say "last year we made X change due to Y feedback" might drive more submissions this year

¡¡¡ On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Greg Sutcliffe <greg@emeraldreverie.org> wrote:

It's time (again, :P) to start drafting the community survey for while
we're in Belgium next year :)

I'm short on time today, so here's a link to last year's survey. Much of
the generic questions will remain the same, they seem to work. What
other burning issues would people like data on? What needs more detail?
What can be dropped?

https://theforeman.org/2017/03/2017-foreman-survey-analysis.html

I'll get to work stripping out the outdated questions and incorporating
new ones sometime next week.

Greg

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"foreman-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

So i completely lost track of this, which leaves us about two weeks to sort it out. Doable, but time for a bump :slight_smile:

@sean797 the data is mostly used for this analysis. Much of it tends to confirm that we’re doing things roughly right (reasonable satisfaction with release frequency, support channels etc) but we do use some of it to drive discussion.

I think the demographic / satisfaction questions are likely to remain the same (it’s useful trend data, so messing with it makes it hard to plot the trends) - the real question is what should we cut (i.e is no longer relevant) and what new things do we need to know?

Things I’d like to know:

What monitoring solution are you using to monitor your hosts managed by Foreman? (Nagios, Icinga, Prometheus, PCP, …, other)

Are you also monitoring Foreman itself? Smart Proxies? Both?

Have you modified Foreman cron jobs in any way (report expiration, cleanups)?

Do you use Foreman’s noVNC console? (Yes, I could but don’t, No)

1 Like

Thanks Lukas, I’ve tried to incorporate that, you’ll find them on the CR/API page (seemed to fit better there than on the metrics/core page, givent the question style there is more high-level).

The draft is available now at this URL (shortlink - goo.gl/RNY8MY) - please don’t fill it in for ‘real’ as I’ll be deleting all replies before we publish it.

A few notes:

• Most of the questions are identical - this is deliberate so we can start looking at trend data over the last few surveys
  • Do the options on page 2 “What’s the most important thing you’d like to see done next in Foreman?” make sense?
  • Are the plugin lists right? I used the wiki as per-usual, but there may be others, or ones that have become unmaintained…
  • Is the Content section ok? (paging @katello & @bmbouter…)

Other comments?

Just an idea (might not be appropriate to ask):

Would you be interested in bare-metal image-based provisioning to discovery nodes?

It’s good. I’d remove spoiler alert “(coming in 3.6!)” as it can affect responses a bit tho :slight_smile:

Can we have something about High Availability in the answers for “What’s the most important thing you’d like to see done next in Foreman?”

Maybe “High Availability (Plugins & Smart Proxies)” ?

Based on the feedback from your talk last year, and conversations in the community since then - I think the answer to this is a solid “yes” already. Get to it :slight_smile:

Seems fair, I’ll add it. Thanks! Next round of updates will be tonight, once I get a chance to sit down at a real computer :stuck_out_tongue:

Updated with a few improvements courtesy of @Ori_Rabin, and also a hardware specs question (thanks to @bmbouter) on the the first page - can someone check if my categories for that make sense?

Otherwise I think this is about ready to go!

69 responses so far, please do keep pushing this whenever you have the opportunity. Ori, can you make sure it’s in the demo? :slight_smile:

Has there been a post to the support forum? I suggest you try that as well, I imagine more people will subscribe to that than the Release Announcements list.