A few notes on the release process

David,

It's a known issue that the nightly builds aren't completely automated yet. There's been work done to automate the creation and promotion of the nightlies to the repository, but it's not complete. More news should come on that front in the near future. Sorry your ticket wasn't responded to in a timely manner; feel free to hop on IRC in the future if you think a ticket is being neglected. The RPM's for the 1.1 RC1 have been released in the meantime.

The item related to updating rake puppet:import:puppet_classes in the release notes was referring to a general change make to allow for importing parameterized classes. It wasn't referring directly to the ticket you filed despite the name and the notes often don't align 1:1 with commits. I've updated the text to be even more generic just to clarify. The change that was committed a few days ago around the rake task will be specifically mentioned in the 1.1 RC2 notes.

Hope this clears up some questions.

-Sam

··· ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Schmitt" To: foreman-dev@googlegroups.com Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 5:02:36 AM Subject: [foreman-dev] a few notes on the release process

Hi,

I’m currently planning to deploy foreman at a client’s and am currently testing it there. The Foreman itself is already working great and we’re currently in the process of migrating the first configurations and nodes over to it.

Here are some things in the greater ecosystem I’ve noted that could be improved:

1. Nobody seems to be looking at the RPM Packagin project on redmine. Nightly builds are not working - as reported at http://theforeman.org/issues/1960 almost a month ago - without anybody acting on the ticket and the nightly builds only running once when I prodded Ohad over at puppet-user. 
2. The Release Notes for 1.1RC1 (http://theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/ReleaseNotes#Release-notes-for-11RC1) mentions " Updating puppet:import:puppet_classes for parameterized classes" which was only merged a few days after the 1.1RC1 tag. This points to a workflow/communication problem somewhere along the route. 
3. No third point. 

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, David

Hi Sam,

thanks for your in-depth answers. For clarification: yes, I'm already using
the 1.1RC1 rpms and am very happy with them, except for #2, which I'm
applying manually until further notice.

Cheers, David

··· On Friday, 14 December 2012 13:47:28 UTC+1, Sam Kottler wrote: > > David, > > It's a known issue that the nightly builds aren't completely automated > yet. There's been work done to automate the creation and promotion of the > nightlies to the repository, but it's not complete. More news should come > on that front in the near future. Sorry your ticket wasn't responded to in > a timely manner; feel free to hop on IRC in the future if you think a > ticket is being neglected. The RPM's for the 1.1 RC1 have been released in > the meantime. > > The item related to updating rake puppet:import:puppet_classes in the > release notes was referring to a general change make to allow for importing > parameterized classes. It wasn't referring directly to the ticket you filed > despite the name and the notes often don't align 1:1 with commits. I've > updated the text to be even more generic just to clarify. The change that > was committed a few days ago around the rake task will be specifically > mentioned in the 1.1 RC2 notes. > > Hope this clears up some questions. > > -Sam > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "David Schmitt" <da...@dasz.at > > To: forem...@googlegroups.com > Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 5:02:36 AM > Subject: [foreman-dev] a few notes on the release process > > Hi, > > > I'm currently planning to deploy foreman at a client's and am currently > testing it there. The Foreman itself is already working great and we're > currently in the process of migrating the first configurations and nodes > over to it. > > > Here are some things in the greater ecosystem I've noted that could be > improved: > > > > > 1. Nobody seems to be looking at the RPM Packagin project on redmine. > Nightly builds are not working - as reported at > http://theforeman.org/issues/1960 almost a month ago - without anybody > acting on the ticket and the nightly builds only running once when I > prodded Ohad over at puppet-user. > 2. The Release Notes for 1.1RC1 ( > http://theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/ReleaseNotes#Release-notes-for-11RC1) > mentions " Updating puppet:import:puppet_classes for parameterized classes" > which was only merged a few days after the 1.1RC1 tag. This points to a > workflow/communication problem somewhere along the route. > 3. No third point. > > > > Keep up the good work! > > > Thanks, David >