understand how to do that?

Initially I was looking through the Red Hat Satellite API guide, but I
couldn't find a way to do it there. Then I tried to accomplish the same
using hammer, but again with no success. My thinking there was that if I
could accomplish it via hammer that would probably help my understanding of
how it should be implemented in python. So, with that in mind I guess my
questions are:

1. Which tree of the API will allow me to see which variables have been
    overridden and what values have been set?
  2. Is there a way in the API to query overrides by host, or is that
    something I will need to do myself?

I want to clarify what I mean by 'host parameters' in case it is not clear.
If go to 'Hosts\All Hosts' in the Satellite Web UI and then select a host
and go to the parameters tab I see a list of the variables available to
associated puppet modules. If I elect to override any of those parameters
they appear at the bottom of the tab under the heading 'host parameters'.
In this list I can see the puppet module, variable name and override
value, which is the data I need to extract for my script.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
David

PS, my environment is RHEL7, Satellite 6, python 2.7 and I have written
enough of the code to query simple braches and display output (such as
hosts and environments).

https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/2812

··· 2015-10-26 16:08 GMT+02:00 David Evans :

Hi,

I’m writing a script in Python that needs to enumerate all the host
parameters that have been overridden for a given host. Can anyone help me
understand how to do that?

Initially I was looking through the Red Hat Satellite API guide, but I
couldn’t find a way to do it there. Then I tried to accomplish the same
using hammer, but again with no success. My thinking there was that if I
could accomplish it via hammer that would probably help my understanding of
how it should be implemented in python. So, with that in mind I guess my
questions are:

1. Which tree of the API will allow me to see which variables have been
    overridden and what values have been set?
  2. Is there a way in the API to query overrides by host, or is that
    something I will need to do myself?

I want to clarify what I mean by ‘host parameters’ in case it is not
clear. If go to ‘Hosts\All Hosts’ in the Satellite Web UI and then select
a host and go to the parameters tab I see a list of the variables available
to associated puppet modules. If I elect to override any of those
parameters they appear at the bottom of the tab under the heading ‘host
parameters’. In this list I can see the puppet module, variable name and
override value, which is the data I need to extract for my script.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
David

PS, my environment is RHEL7, Satellite 6, python 2.7 and I have written
enough of the code to query simple braches and display output (such as
hosts and environments).

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“Foreman users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I was having the exact same problem. The documentation here
<http://www.katello.org/docs/api/apidoc/parameters/index.html> says you can
get parameters from /api/hosts/:host_id/parameters but that will only show
parameters that are set directly on the host or set as an override on the
host. It will not show any inherited parameters. My solution was to look
for a parameter in the host/parameters and if it's not there get the host
group id and look for the parameter there. If multiple host groups are
nested you may have to do this repeatedly until you find the parameter you
want.

That's a terrible solution. Luckily in a future version there will be a
all_parameters value on the host which will show all parameters merged into
one dictionary. See Bug #11763: Host API does not return all parameters (e.g. from locations, et al.) - Foreman to track
the issue. I'm watching that bug and plan to change my code when it's
merged and released.

Hope that helps

··· On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:08:42 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: > > Hi, > > I'm writing a script in Python that needs to enumerate all the host > parameters that have been overridden for a given host. Can anyone help me > understand how to do that? > > Initially I was looking through the Red Hat Satellite API guide, but I > couldn't find a way to do it there. Then I tried to accomplish the same > using hammer, but again with no success. My thinking there was that if I > could accomplish it via hammer that would probably help my understanding of > how it should be implemented in python. So, with that in mind I guess my > questions are: > > 1. Which tree of the API will allow me to see which variables have been > overridden and what values have been set? > 2. Is there a way in the API to query overrides by host, or is that > something I will need to do myself? > > I want to clarify what I mean by 'host parameters' in case it is not > clear. If go to 'Hosts\All Hosts' in the Satellite Web UI and then select > a host and go to the parameters tab I see a list of the variables available > to associated puppet modules. If I elect to override any of those > parameters they appear at the bottom of the tab under the heading 'host > parameters'. In this list I can see the puppet module, variable name and > override value, which is the data I need to extract for my script. > > Thanks in advance for any assistance. > > Regards, > David > > PS, my environment is RHEL7, Satellite 6, python 2.7 and I have written > enough of the code to query simple braches and display output (such as > hosts and environments). >

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for these responses and sorry for the delay replying.

@Shlomi - thanks it looks like the you are implementing the solution I
require, but it will be sometime before it is available to RH Satellite.
In the meantime I tried to implement the patches, but the code I am
running is sufficiently different to what the patch is based on that it
didn't work.

@Justin - this looks like exactly what I need to get me going while I await
the updated functionality mentioned by Shlomi. Unfortunately it doesn't
work for me. Things may be slightly different because I am using Satellite
and not pure Foreman - I don't know. Anyway, the path to the API is
different (uses 'api/v2') and using that I got it to run successfully, but
it returns nothing. Here's the code I am using:

host = get_json('%shosts/%s' % (satellite_url, hostname), username,
password)
display_json_results(host)

print('Host id is %s' % (host['id']))

parameters = get_json('%shosts/%d/parameters' % (satellite_url, host['id'
]), username, password)
display_json_results(parameters)

The first part of that works, and I get the host id, which is correct
(verified through hammer), but the final part doesn't give me any
parameters for the host, just this:

<snip>
"subnet_name": "BRL_DEVUAT_INFRA_SERVER",
"updated_at": "2015-10-27T13:34:02Z",
"use_image": null,
"uuid": null
}
Host id is 221
{
"page": 1,
"per_page": 40,
"results": [],
"search": null,
"sort": {
"by": null,
"order": null
},
"subtotal": 0,
"total": 0
}

I am trying to run 'yum update' on my Satellite server in case that helps
with any of these issues and I'll report back once that is done. There is
an issue with that at the moment, which is rpm dependency related, so it
may not be immediate. In the meantime if anyone can spot anything stupidly
obvious that is wrong with the code I'm running I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Regards,
David

··· On Monday, 26 October 2015 23:32:35 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: > > I was having the exact same problem. The documentation here > says you > can get parameters from /api/hosts/:host_id/parameters but that will only > show parameters that are set directly on the host or set as an override on > the host. It will not show any inherited parameters. My solution was to > look for a parameter in the host/parameters and if it's not there get the > host group id and look for the parameter there. If multiple host groups are > nested you may have to do this repeatedly until you find the parameter you > want. > > That's a terrible solution. Luckily in a future version there will be a > all_parameters value on the host which will show all parameters merged into > one dictionary. See http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/11763 to track > the issue. I'm watching that bug and plan to change my code when it's > merged and released. > > Hope that helps > > On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:08:42 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >> >> Hi, >> >> I'm writing a script in Python that needs to enumerate all the host >> parameters that have been overridden for a given host. Can anyone help me >> understand how to do that? >> >> Initially I was looking through the Red Hat Satellite API guide, but I >> couldn't find a way to do it there. Then I tried to accomplish the same >> using hammer, but again with no success. My thinking there was that if I >> could accomplish it via hammer that would probably help my understanding of >> how it should be implemented in python. So, with that in mind I guess my >> questions are: >> >> 1. Which tree of the API will allow me to see which variables have been >> overridden and what values have been set? >> 2. Is there a way in the API to query overrides by host, or is that >> something I will need to do myself? >> >> I want to clarify what I mean by 'host parameters' in case it is not >> clear. If go to 'Hosts\All Hosts' in the Satellite Web UI and then select >> a host and go to the parameters tab I see a list of the variables available >> to associated puppet modules. If I elect to override any of those >> parameters they appear at the bottom of the tab under the heading 'host >> parameters'. In this list I can see the puppet module, variable name and >> override value, which is the data I need to extract for my script. >> >> Thanks in advance for any assistance. >> >> Regards, >> David >> >> PS, my environment is RHEL7, Satellite 6, python 2.7 and I have written >> enough of the code to query simple braches and display output (such as >> hosts and environments). >> >

I am also using rhel 7 and satellite 6. Here is rough code that I used to
look for kt_activation_key from a host parameters and if it wasn't found go
up one level to the host group.

I'm using requests <http://docs.python-requests.org/en/latest/> for the api
interaction

def get_activationkeys(host_id, k_server):
"""Get the activation keys a system should have based on the
kt_activation_keys parameter in katello"""
des_act_keys = ""
hg_params = ""

k_host = get_katello_host(host_id, k_server)
if k_host[&#39;hostgroup_id&#39;]:
    hg_params = 

requests.get('https://%s/api/v2/hostgroups/%s/parameters'
% (k_server, k_host['hostgroup_id']), auth=KATELLO_AUTH,
verify=BUNDLE_CERT).json()
if k_host['parameters']:
# try to get kt_activation_key from host. If not use hostgroup
# eventually change to all_parameters
for parameter in k_host['parameters']:
if parameter.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys':
des_act_keys = parameter['value']
break
if not des_act_keys and hg_params:
for result in hg_params['results']:
if result.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys':
des_act_keys = result['value']
if des_act_keys:
return des_act_keys.split(",")
else:
return 0

This only looks up 1 level but you could repeat if you have multiple levels.

Hope that give you a starting point.

··· On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 7:01:22 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: > > Hi, > > Thanks to both of you for these responses and sorry for the delay replying. > > @Shlomi - thanks it looks like the you are implementing the solution I > require, but it will be sometime before it is available to RH Satellite. > In the meantime I tried to implement the patches, but the code I am > running is sufficiently different to what the patch is based on that it > didn't work. > > @Justin - this looks like exactly what I need to get me going while I > await the updated functionality mentioned by Shlomi. Unfortunately it > doesn't work for me. Things may be slightly different because I am using > Satellite and not pure Foreman - I don't know. Anyway, the path to the API > is different (uses 'api/v2') and using that I got it to run successfully, > but it returns nothing. Here's the code I am using: > > host = get_json('%shosts/%s' % (satellite_url, hostname), username, > password) > display_json_results(host) > > > print('Host id is %s' % (host['id'])) > > > parameters = get_json('%shosts/%d/parameters' % (satellite_url, host[ > 'id']), username, password) > display_json_results(parameters) > > > The first part of that works, and I get the host id, which is correct > (verified through hammer), but the final part doesn't give me any > parameters for the host, just this: > > > > "subnet_name": "BRL_DEVUAT_INFRA_SERVER", > "updated_at": "2015-10-27T13:34:02Z", > "use_image": null, > "uuid": null > } > Host id is 221 > { > "page": 1, > "per_page": 40, > "results": [], > "search": null, > "sort": { > "by": null, > "order": null > }, > "subtotal": 0, > "total": 0 > } > > I am trying to run 'yum update' on my Satellite server in case that helps > with any of these issues and I'll report back once that is done. There is > an issue with that at the moment, which is rpm dependency related, so it > may not be immediate. In the meantime if anyone can spot anything stupidly > obvious that is wrong with the code I'm running I'd appreciate it. Thanks. > > Regards, > David > > On Monday, 26 October 2015 23:32:35 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: >> >> I was having the exact same problem. The documentation here >> says you >> can get parameters from /api/hosts/:host_id/parameters but that will only >> show parameters that are set directly on the host or set as an override on >> the host. It will not show any inherited parameters. My solution was to >> look for a parameter in the host/parameters and if it's not there get the >> host group id and look for the parameter there. If multiple host groups are >> nested you may have to do this repeatedly until you find the parameter you >> want. >> >> That's a terrible solution. Luckily in a future version there will be a >> all_parameters value on the host which will show all parameters merged into >> one dictionary. See http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/11763 to track >> the issue. I'm watching that bug and plan to change my code when it's >> merged and released. >> >> Hope that helps >> >> On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:08:42 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >>> >>> Hi, >>> >>> I'm writing a script in Python that needs to enumerate all the host >>> parameters that have been overridden for a given host. Can anyone help me >>> understand how to do that? >>> >>> Initially I was looking through the Red Hat Satellite API guide, but I >>> couldn't find a way to do it there. Then I tried to accomplish the same >>> using hammer, but again with no success. My thinking there was that if I >>> could accomplish it via hammer that would probably help my understanding of >>> how it should be implemented in python. So, with that in mind I guess my >>> questions are: >>> >>> 1. Which tree of the API will allow me to see which variables have >>> been overridden and what values have been set? >>> 2. Is there a way in the API to query overrides by host, or is that >>> something I will need to do myself? >>> >>> I want to clarify what I mean by 'host parameters' in case it is not >>> clear. If go to 'Hosts\All Hosts' in the Satellite Web UI and then select >>> a host and go to the parameters tab I see a list of the variables available >>> to associated puppet modules. If I elect to override any of those >>> parameters they appear at the bottom of the tab under the heading 'host >>> parameters'. In this list I can see the puppet module, variable name and >>> override value, which is the data I need to extract for my script. >>> >>> Thanks in advance for any assistance. >>> >>> Regards, >>> David >>> >>> PS, my environment is RHEL7, Satellite 6, python 2.7 and I have written >>> enough of the code to query simple braches and display output (such as >>> hosts and environments). >>> >>

Hi Justin,

Thanks for that. I can see what you're doign there, and when I do the same
I can see the variables associated with other entities (hostgroups for
example).

Unfortunately I have very few variables assoicated in that way. All mine
are associated with the host itself and only one is inherited from anywhere

• that's the activation key which comes from the host group. In my
    previous example I was expecting to see about 20 variables I have
    overridden on the host itself, but none of them are displayed. I see now
    that I wasn't clear in my last post what I was expecting to see.

Regards,
David

··· On Tuesday, 27 October 2015 16:36:58 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: > > I am also using rhel 7 and satellite 6. Here is rough code that I used to > look for kt_activation_key from a host parameters and if it wasn't found go > up one level to the host group. > > I'm using requests for the > api interaction > > def get_activationkeys(host_id, k_server): > """Get the activation keys a system should have based on the > kt_activation_keys parameter in katello""" > des_act_keys = "" > hg_params = "" > > > k_host = get_katello_host(host_id, k_server) > if k_host['hostgroup_id']: > hg_params = > requests.get('https://%s/api/v2/hostgroups/%s/parameters' \ > % (k_server, k_host['hostgroup_id']), auth=KATELLO_AUTH, \ > verify=BUNDLE_CERT).json() > if k_host['parameters']: > # try to get kt_activation_key from host. If not use hostgroup > # eventually change to all_parameters > for parameter in k_host['parameters']: > if parameter.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys': > des_act_keys = parameter['value'] > break > if not des_act_keys and hg_params: > for result in hg_params['results']: > if result.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys': > des_act_keys = result['value'] > if des_act_keys: > return des_act_keys.split(",") > else: > return 0 > > > This only looks up 1 level but you could repeat if you have multiple > levels. > > Hope that give you a starting point. > > On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 7:01:22 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >> >> Hi, >> >> Thanks to both of you for these responses and sorry for the delay >> replying. >> >> @Shlomi - thanks it looks like the you are implementing the solution I >> require, but it will be sometime before it is available to RH Satellite. >> In the meantime I tried to implement the patches, but the code I am >> running is sufficiently different to what the patch is based on that it >> didn't work. >> >> @Justin - this looks like exactly what I need to get me going while I >> await the updated functionality mentioned by Shlomi. Unfortunately it >> doesn't work for me. Things may be slightly different because I am using >> Satellite and not pure Foreman - I don't know. Anyway, the path to the API >> is different (uses 'api/v2') and using that I got it to run successfully, >> but it returns nothing. Here's the code I am using: >> >> host = get_json('%shosts/%s' % (satellite_url, hostname), username, >> password) >> display_json_results(host) >> >> >> print('Host id is %s' % (host['id'])) >> >> >> parameters = get_json('%shosts/%d/parameters' % (satellite_url, host[ >> 'id']), username, password) >> display_json_results(parameters) >> >> >> The first part of that works, and I get the host id, which is correct >> (verified through hammer), but the final part doesn't give me any >> parameters for the host, just this: >> >> >> >> "subnet_name": "BRL_DEVUAT_INFRA_SERVER", >> "updated_at": "2015-10-27T13:34:02Z", >> "use_image": null, >> "uuid": null >> } >> Host id is 221 >> { >> "page": 1, >> "per_page": 40, >> "results": [], >> "search": null, >> "sort": { >> "by": null, >> "order": null >> }, >> "subtotal": 0, >> "total": 0 >> } >> >> I am trying to run 'yum update' on my Satellite server in case that helps >> with any of these issues and I'll report back once that is done. There is >> an issue with that at the moment, which is rpm dependency related, so it >> may not be immediate. In the meantime if anyone can spot anything stupidly >> obvious that is wrong with the code I'm running I'd appreciate it. Thanks. >> >> Regards, >> David >> >> On Monday, 26 October 2015 23:32:35 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: >>> >>> I was having the exact same problem. The documentation here >>> says you >>> can get parameters from /api/hosts/:host_id/parameters but that will only >>> show parameters that are set directly on the host or set as an override on >>> the host. It will not show any inherited parameters. My solution was to >>> look for a parameter in the host/parameters and if it's not there get the >>> host group id and look for the parameter there. If multiple host groups are >>> nested you may have to do this repeatedly until you find the parameter you >>> want. >>> >>> That's a terrible solution. Luckily in a future version there will be a >>> all_parameters value on the host which will show all parameters merged into >>> one dictionary. See http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/11763 to >>> track the issue. I'm watching that bug and plan to change my code when it's >>> merged and released. >>> >>> Hope that helps >>> >>> On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:08:42 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >>>> >>>> Hi, >>>> >>>> I'm writing a script in Python that needs to enumerate all the host >>>> parameters that have been overridden for a given host. Can anyone help me >>>> understand how to do that? >>>> >>>> Initially I was looking through the Red Hat Satellite API guide, but I >>>> couldn't find a way to do it there. Then I tried to accomplish the same >>>> using hammer, but again with no success. My thinking there was that if I >>>> could accomplish it via hammer that would probably help my understanding of >>>> how it should be implemented in python. So, with that in mind I guess my >>>> questions are: >>>> >>>> 1. Which tree of the API will allow me to see which variables have >>>> been overridden and what values have been set? >>>> 2. Is there a way in the API to query overrides by host, or is that >>>> something I will need to do myself? >>>> >>>> I want to clarify what I mean by 'host parameters' in case it is not >>>> clear. If go to 'Hosts\All Hosts' in the Satellite Web UI and then select >>>> a host and go to the parameters tab I see a list of the variables available >>>> to associated puppet modules. If I elect to override any of those >>>> parameters they appear at the bottom of the tab under the heading 'host >>>> parameters'. In this list I can see the puppet module, variable name and >>>> override value, which is the data I need to extract for my script. >>>> >>>> Thanks in advance for any assistance. >>>> >>>> Regards, >>>> David >>>> >>>> PS, my environment is RHEL7, Satellite 6, python 2.7 and I have written >>>> enough of the code to query simple braches and display output (such as >>>> hosts and environments). >>>> >>>

Hi,

I think I have my solution. I should have been trying to display overides
to smart class parameters. Thanks again Justin for all your help - got the
breakthrough here

Regards,
David

··· On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 14:45:59 UTC, David Evans wrote: > > Hi Justin, > > Thanks for that. I can see what you're doign there, and when I do the > same I can see the variables associated with other entities (hostgroups for > example). > > Unfortunately I have very few variables assoicated in that way. All mine > are associated with the host itself and only one is inherited from anywhere > - that's the activation key which comes from the host group. In my > previous example I was expecting to see about 20 variables I have > overridden on the host itself, but none of them are displayed. I see now > that I wasn't clear in my last post what I was expecting to see. > > Regards, > David > > > > > On Tuesday, 27 October 2015 16:36:58 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: >> >> I am also using rhel 7 and satellite 6. Here is rough code that I used to >> look for kt_activation_key from a host parameters and if it wasn't found go >> up one level to the host group. >> >> I'm using requests for the >> api interaction >> >> def get_activationkeys(host_id, k_server): >> """Get the activation keys a system should have based on the >> kt_activation_keys parameter in katello""" >> des_act_keys = "" >> hg_params = "" >> >> >> k_host = get_katello_host(host_id, k_server) >> if k_host['hostgroup_id']: >> hg_params = >> requests.get('https://%s/api/v2/hostgroups/%s/parameters' \ >> % (k_server, k_host['hostgroup_id']), auth=KATELLO_AUTH, \ >> verify=BUNDLE_CERT).json() >> if k_host['parameters']: >> # try to get kt_activation_key from host. If not use hostgroup >> # eventually change to all_parameters >> for parameter in k_host['parameters']: >> if parameter.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys': >> des_act_keys = parameter['value'] >> break >> if not des_act_keys and hg_params: >> for result in hg_params['results']: >> if result.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys': >> des_act_keys = result['value'] >> if des_act_keys: >> return des_act_keys.split(",") >> else: >> return 0 >> >> >> This only looks up 1 level but you could repeat if you have multiple >> levels. >> >> Hope that give you a starting point. >> >> On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 7:01:22 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >>> >>> Hi, >>> >>> Thanks to both of you for these responses and sorry for the delay >>> replying. >>> >>> @Shlomi - thanks it looks like the you are implementing the solution I >>> require, but it will be sometime before it is available to RH Satellite. >>> In the meantime I tried to implement the patches, but the code I am >>> running is sufficiently different to what the patch is based on that it >>> didn't work. >>> >>> @Justin - this looks like exactly what I need to get me going while I >>> await the updated functionality mentioned by Shlomi. Unfortunately it >>> doesn't work for me. Things may be slightly different because I am using >>> Satellite and not pure Foreman - I don't know. Anyway, the path to the API >>> is different (uses 'api/v2') and using that I got it to run successfully, >>> but it returns nothing. Here's the code I am using: >>> >>> host = get_json('%shosts/%s' % (satellite_url, hostname), username, >>> password) >>> display_json_results(host) >>> >>> >>> print('Host id is %s' % (host['id'])) >>> >>> >>> parameters = get_json('%shosts/%d/parameters' % (satellite_url, host[ >>> 'id']), username, password) >>> display_json_results(parameters) >>> >>> >>> The first part of that works, and I get the host id, which is correct >>> (verified through hammer), but the final part doesn't give me any >>> parameters for the host, just this: >>> >>> >>> >>> "subnet_name": "BRL_DEVUAT_INFRA_SERVER", >>> "updated_at": "2015-10-27T13:34:02Z", >>> "use_image": null, >>> "uuid": null >>> } >>> Host id is 221 >>> { >>> "page": 1, >>> "per_page": 40, >>> "results": [], >>> "search": null, >>> "sort": { >>> "by": null, >>> "order": null >>> }, >>> "subtotal": 0, >>> "total": 0 >>> } >>> >>> I am trying to run 'yum update' on my Satellite server in case that >>> helps with any of these issues and I'll report back once that is done. >>> There is an issue with that at the moment, which is rpm dependency >>> related, so it may not be immediate. In the meantime if anyone can spot >>> anything stupidly obvious that is wrong with the code I'm running I'd >>> appreciate it. Thanks. >>> >>> Regards, >>> David >>> >>> On Monday, 26 October 2015 23:32:35 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: >>>> >>>> I was having the exact same problem. The documentation here >>>> says >>>> you can get parameters from /api/hosts/:host_id/parameters but that will >>>> only show parameters that are set directly on the host or set as an >>>> override on the host. It will not show any inherited parameters. My >>>> solution was to look for a parameter in the host/parameters and if it's not >>>> there get the host group id and look for the parameter there. If multiple >>>> host groups are nested you may have to do this repeatedly until you find >>>> the parameter you want. >>>> >>>> That's a terrible solution. Luckily in a future version there will be a >>>> all_parameters value on the host which will show all parameters merged into >>>> one dictionary. See http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/11763 to >>>> track the issue. I'm watching that bug and plan to change my code when it's >>>> merged and released. >>>> >>>> Hope that helps >>>> >>>> On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:08:42 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Hi, >>>>> >>>>> I'm writing a script in Python that needs to enumerate all the host >>>>> parameters that have been overridden for a given host. Can anyone help me >>>>> understand how to do that? >>>>> >>>>> Initially I was looking through the Red Hat Satellite API guide, but I >>>>> couldn't find a way to do it there. Then I tried to accomplish the same >>>>> using hammer, but again with no success. My thinking there was that if I >>>>> could accomplish it via hammer that would probably help my understanding of >>>>> how it should be implemented in python. So, with that in mind I guess my >>>>> questions are: >>>>> >>>>> 1. Which tree of the API will allow me to see which variables have >>>>> been overridden and what values have been set? >>>>> 2. Is there a way in the API to query overrides by host, or is that >>>>> something I will need to do myself? >>>>> >>>>> I want to clarify what I mean by 'host parameters' in case it is not >>>>> clear. If go to 'Hosts\All Hosts' in the Satellite Web UI and then select >>>>> a host and go to the parameters tab I see a list of the variables available >>>>> to associated puppet modules. If I elect to override any of those >>>>> parameters they appear at the bottom of the tab under the heading 'host >>>>> parameters'. In this list I can see the puppet module, variable name and >>>>> override value, which is the data I need to extract for my script. >>>>> >>>>> Thanks in advance for any assistance. >>>>> >>>>> Regards, >>>>> David >>>>> >>>>> PS, my environment is RHEL7, Satellite 6, python 2.7 and I have >>>>> written enough of the code to query simple braches and display output (such >>>>> as hosts and environments). >>>>> >>>>

Hi,

I just want to close this off by saying this is the code I am running:

password)

host_scp = get_json('%shosts/%d/smart_class_parameters' % (satellite_url,
host['id']), username, password)
for next_host_scp in host_scp['results']:
host_scp_overrides = get_json(
'%ssmart_class_parameters/%d/override_values' % (satellite_url,
next_host_scp['id']), username, password)
if len(host_scp_overrides['results']):
for next_override in host_scp_overrides['results']:
if next_override['match'] == 'fqdn=%s' % (host['name']):
print(' %s = %s' % (next_host_scp['parameter'], json.dumps(
next_override['value'], indent=6, sort_keys=True)))
elif output_verbosity == 'full':
print(' %s = %s' % (next_host_scp['parameter'], json.dumps(
next_host_scp['default_value'], indent=6, sort_keys=True)))

It needs a bit of tidying up, but does at least display the info I'm
interested in.

I actually wanted to group the variables by puppet class, but when I wrote
the code to find every smart class parameter associated with a puppet
class, and then every override associated with each parameter it was
tragically slow. Here's the code:

password)

print('Host is %s' % (host['name']))
parameters = get_json('%shosts/%s/parameters' % (satellite_url, host['id'
]), username, password)
for next_puppet_class in sorted(host['all_puppetclasses']):
print(' Puppet class [%s]' % (next_puppet_class['name']))
sc_params = get_json('%spuppetclasses/%d/smart_class_parameters' % (
satellite_url, next_puppet_class['id']), username, password)
if len(sc_params['results']):
sc_params_ids = set([next_sc_param['id'] for next_sc_param in
sc_params['results']])
for next_sc_param in sc_params_ids:
host_scp_overrides = get_json(
'%ssmart_class_parameters/%d/override_values' % (satellite_url,
next_sc_param), username, password)
for next_override in host_scp_overrides['results']:
if next_override['match'] == 'fqdn=%s' % (host['name']):
print('%s ' % (next_override['value']))

That takes 233 seconds, where as the first example code I gave takes 101
seconds (so neither is really acceptable, but I can't see a better way of
doing it).

Regards,
David

··· On Thursday, 29 October 2015 09:57:44 UTC, David Evans wrote: > > Hi, > > I think I have my solution. I should have been trying to display overides > to smart class parameters. Thanks again Justin for all your help - got the > breakthrough here - > http://www.katello.org/docs/api/apidoc/override_values.html. > > Regards, > David > > On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 14:45:59 UTC, David Evans wrote: >> >> Hi Justin, >> >> Thanks for that. I can see what you're doign there, and when I do the >> same I can see the variables associated with other entities (hostgroups for >> example). >> >> Unfortunately I have very few variables assoicated in that way. All mine >> are associated with the host itself and only one is inherited from anywhere >> - that's the activation key which comes from the host group. In my >> previous example I was expecting to see about 20 variables I have >> overridden on the host itself, but none of them are displayed. I see now >> that I wasn't clear in my last post what I was expecting to see. >> >> Regards, >> David >> >> >> >> >> On Tuesday, 27 October 2015 16:36:58 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: >>> >>> I am also using rhel 7 and satellite 6. Here is rough code that I used >>> to look for kt_activation_key from a host parameters and if it wasn't found >>> go up one level to the host group. >>> >>> I'm using requests for the >>> api interaction >>> >>> def get_activationkeys(host_id, k_server): >>> """Get the activation keys a system should have based on the >>> kt_activation_keys parameter in katello""" >>> des_act_keys = "" >>> hg_params = "" >>> >>> >>> k_host = get_katello_host(host_id, k_server) >>> if k_host['hostgroup_id']: >>> hg_params = >>> requests.get('https://%s/api/v2/hostgroups/%s/parameters' \ >>> % (k_server, k_host['hostgroup_id']), auth=KATELLO_AUTH, \ >>> verify=BUNDLE_CERT).json() >>> if k_host['parameters']: >>> # try to get kt_activation_key from host. If not use hostgroup >>> # eventually change to all_parameters >>> for parameter in k_host['parameters']: >>> if parameter.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys': >>> des_act_keys = parameter['value'] >>> break >>> if not des_act_keys and hg_params: >>> for result in hg_params['results']: >>> if result.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys': >>> des_act_keys = result['value'] >>> if des_act_keys: >>> return des_act_keys.split(",") >>> else: >>> return 0 >>> >>> >>> This only looks up 1 level but you could repeat if you have multiple >>> levels. >>> >>> Hope that give you a starting point. >>> >>> On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 7:01:22 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >>>> >>>> Hi, >>>> >>>> Thanks to both of you for these responses and sorry for the delay >>>> replying. >>>> >>>> @Shlomi - thanks it looks like the you are implementing the solution I >>>> require, but it will be sometime before it is available to RH Satellite. >>>> In the meantime I tried to implement the patches, but the code I am >>>> running is sufficiently different to what the patch is based on that it >>>> didn't work. >>>> >>>> @Justin - this looks like exactly what I need to get me going while I >>>> await the updated functionality mentioned by Shlomi. Unfortunately it >>>> doesn't work for me. Things may be slightly different because I am using >>>> Satellite and not pure Foreman - I don't know. Anyway, the path to the API >>>> is different (uses 'api/v2') and using that I got it to run successfully, >>>> but it returns nothing. Here's the code I am using: >>>> >>>> host = get_json('%shosts/%s' % (satellite_url, hostname), username, >>>> password) >>>> display_json_results(host) >>>> >>>> >>>> print('Host id is %s' % (host['id'])) >>>> >>>> >>>> parameters = get_json('%shosts/%d/parameters' % (satellite_url, host[ >>>> 'id']), username, password) >>>> display_json_results(parameters) >>>> >>>> >>>> The first part of that works, and I get the host id, which is correct >>>> (verified through hammer), but the final part doesn't give me any >>>> parameters for the host, just this: >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> "subnet_name": "BRL_DEVUAT_INFRA_SERVER", >>>> "updated_at": "2015-10-27T13:34:02Z", >>>> "use_image": null, >>>> "uuid": null >>>> } >>>> Host id is 221 >>>> { >>>> "page": 1, >>>> "per_page": 40, >>>> "results": [], >>>> "search": null, >>>> "sort": { >>>> "by": null, >>>> "order": null >>>> }, >>>> "subtotal": 0, >>>> "total": 0 >>>> } >>>> >>>> I am trying to run 'yum update' on my Satellite server in case that >>>> helps with any of these issues and I'll report back once that is done. >>>> There is an issue with that at the moment, which is rpm dependency >>>> related, so it may not be immediate. In the meantime if anyone can spot >>>> anything stupidly obvious that is wrong with the code I'm running I'd >>>> appreciate it. Thanks. >>>> >>>> Regards, >>>> David >>>> >>>> On Monday, 26 October 2015 23:32:35 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: >>>>> >>>>> I was having the exact same problem. The documentation here >>>>> says >>>>> you can get parameters from /api/hosts/:host_id/parameters but that will >>>>> only show parameters that are set directly on the host or set as an >>>>> override on the host. It will not show any inherited parameters. My >>>>> solution was to look for a parameter in the host/parameters and if it's not >>>>> there get the host group id and look for the parameter there. If multiple >>>>> host groups are nested you may have to do this repeatedly until you find >>>>> the parameter you want. >>>>> >>>>> That's a terrible solution. Luckily in a future version there will be >>>>> a all_parameters value on the host which will show all parameters merged >>>>> into one dictionary. See http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/11763 >>>>> to track the issue. I'm watching that bug and plan to change my code when >>>>> it's merged and released. >>>>> >>>>> Hope that helps >>>>> >>>>> On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:08:42 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> Hi, >>>>>> >>>>>> I'm writing a script in Python that needs to enumerate all the host >>>>>> parameters that have been overridden for a given host. Can anyone help me >>>>>> understand how to do that? >>>>>> >>>>>> Initially I was looking through the Red Hat Satellite API guide, but >>>>>> I couldn't find a way to do it there. Then I tried to accomplish the same >>>>>> using hammer, but again with no success. My thinking there was that if I >>>>>> could accomplish it via hammer that would probably help my understanding of >>>>>> how it should be implemented in python. So, with that in mind I guess my >>>>>> questions are: >>>>>> >>>>>> 1. Which tree of the API will allow me to see which variables have >>>>>> been overridden and what values have been set? >>>>>> 2. Is there a way in the API to query overrides by host, or is that >>>>>> something I will need to do myself? >>>>>> >>>>>> I want to clarify what I mean by 'host parameters' in case it is not >>>>>> clear. If go to 'Hosts\All Hosts' in the Satellite Web UI and then select >>>>>> a host and go to the parameters tab I see a list of the variables available >>>>>> to associated puppet modules. If I elect to override any of those >>>>>> parameters they appear at the bottom of the tab under the heading 'host >>>>>> parameters'. In this list I can see the puppet module, variable name and >>>>>> override value, which is the data I need to extract for my script. >>>>>> >>>>>> Thanks in advance for any assistance. >>>>>> >>>>>> Regards, >>>>>> David >>>>>> >>>>>> PS, my environment is RHEL7, Satellite 6, python 2.7 and I have >>>>>> written enough of the code to query simple braches and display output (such >>>>>> as hosts and environments). >>>>>> >>>>>

I've been trying to do the same and I can't believe there's no single API
endpoint to get the same information than using YAML button (which calls to
http://fqdn.local/hosts/client1/externalNodes?name=client1 URL) or using
/etc/puppet/node.rb client1 as puppet master does.

In my case I can have up to 70 smart class parameters which takes a long
time and is also anoying.

Regards,
Sergio

··· On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 11:59:17 AM UTC+1, David Evans wrote: > > Hi, > > I just want to close this off by saying this is the code I am running: > > host = get_json('%shosts/%s' % (satellite_url, hostname), username, > password) > display_json_results(host) > > > host_scp = get_json('%shosts/%d/smart_class_parameters' % (satellite_url > , host['id']), username, password) > for next_host_scp in host_scp['results']: > host_scp_overrides = get_json( > '%ssmart_class_parameters/%d/override_values' % (satellite_url, > next_host_scp['id']), username, password) > if len(host_scp_overrides['results']): > for next_override in host_scp_overrides['results']: > if next_override['match'] == 'fqdn=%s' % (host['name']): > print(' %s = %s' % (next_host_scp['parameter'], json.dumps( > next_override['value'], indent=6, sort_keys=True))) > elif output_verbosity == 'full': > print(' %s = %s' % (next_host_scp['parameter'], json.dumps( > next_host_scp['default_value'], indent=6, sort_keys=True))) > > It needs a bit of tidying up, but does at least display the info I'm > interested in. > > I actually wanted to group the variables by puppet class, but when I wrote > the code to find every smart class parameter associated with a puppet > class, and then every override associated with each parameter it was > tragically slow. Here's the code: > > host = get_json('%shosts/%s' % (satellite_url, hostname), username, > password) > display_json_results(host) > > > print('Host is %s' % (host['name'])) > parameters = get_json('%shosts/%s/parameters' % (satellite_url, host[ > 'id']), username, password) > for next_puppet_class in sorted(host['all_puppetclasses']): > print(' Puppet class [%s]' % (next_puppet_class['name'])) > sc_params = get_json('%spuppetclasses/%d/smart_class_parameters' % ( > satellite_url, next_puppet_class['id']), username, password) > if len(sc_params['results']): > sc_params_ids = set([next_sc_param['id'] for next_sc_param in > sc_params['results']]) > for next_sc_param in sc_params_ids: > host_scp_overrides = get_json( > '%ssmart_class_parameters/%d/override_values' % (satellite_url, > next_sc_param), username, password) > for next_override in host_scp_overrides['results']: > if next_override['match'] == 'fqdn=%s' % (host['name']): > print('%s ' % (next_override['value'])) > > > That takes 233 seconds, where as the first example code I gave takes 101 > seconds (so neither is really acceptable, but I can't see a better way of > doing it). > > Regards, > David > > > > > > On Thursday, 29 October 2015 09:57:44 UTC, David Evans wrote: >> >> Hi, >> >> I think I have my solution. I should have been trying to display >> overides to smart class parameters. Thanks again Justin for all your help >> - got the breakthrough here - >> http://www.katello.org/docs/api/apidoc/override_values.html. >> >> Regards, >> David >> >> On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 14:45:59 UTC, David Evans wrote: >>> >>> Hi Justin, >>> >>> Thanks for that. I can see what you're doign there, and when I do the >>> same I can see the variables associated with other entities (hostgroups for >>> example). >>> >>> Unfortunately I have very few variables assoicated in that way. All >>> mine are associated with the host itself and only one is inherited from >>> anywhere - that's the activation key which comes from the host group. In >>> my previous example I was expecting to see about 20 variables I have >>> overridden on the host itself, but none of them are displayed. I see now >>> that I wasn't clear in my last post what I was expecting to see. >>> >>> Regards, >>> David >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> On Tuesday, 27 October 2015 16:36:58 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: >>>> >>>> I am also using rhel 7 and satellite 6. Here is rough code that I used >>>> to look for kt_activation_key from a host parameters and if it wasn't found >>>> go up one level to the host group. >>>> >>>> I'm using requests for >>>> the api interaction >>>> >>>> def get_activationkeys(host_id, k_server): >>>> """Get the activation keys a system should have based on the >>>> kt_activation_keys parameter in katello""" >>>> des_act_keys = "" >>>> hg_params = "" >>>> >>>> >>>> k_host = get_katello_host(host_id, k_server) >>>> if k_host['hostgroup_id']: >>>> hg_params = >>>> requests.get('https://%s/api/v2/hostgroups/%s/parameters' \ >>>> % (k_server, k_host['hostgroup_id']), auth=KATELLO_AUTH, \ >>>> verify=BUNDLE_CERT).json() >>>> if k_host['parameters']: >>>> # try to get kt_activation_key from host. If not use hostgroup >>>> # eventually change to all_parameters >>>> for parameter in k_host['parameters']: >>>> if parameter.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys': >>>> des_act_keys = parameter['value'] >>>> break >>>> if not des_act_keys and hg_params: >>>> for result in hg_params['results']: >>>> if result.get('name') == 'kt_activation_keys': >>>> des_act_keys = result['value'] >>>> if des_act_keys: >>>> return des_act_keys.split(",") >>>> else: >>>> return 0 >>>> >>>> >>>> This only looks up 1 level but you could repeat if you have multiple >>>> levels. >>>> >>>> Hope that give you a starting point. >>>> >>>> On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 7:01:22 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Hi, >>>>> >>>>> Thanks to both of you for these responses and sorry for the delay >>>>> replying. >>>>> >>>>> @Shlomi - thanks it looks like the you are implementing the solution I >>>>> require, but it will be sometime before it is available to RH Satellite. >>>>> In the meantime I tried to implement the patches, but the code I am >>>>> running is sufficiently different to what the patch is based on that it >>>>> didn't work. >>>>> >>>>> @Justin - this looks like exactly what I need to get me going while I >>>>> await the updated functionality mentioned by Shlomi. Unfortunately it >>>>> doesn't work for me. Things may be slightly different because I am using >>>>> Satellite and not pure Foreman - I don't know. Anyway, the path to the API >>>>> is different (uses 'api/v2') and using that I got it to run successfully, >>>>> but it returns nothing. Here's the code I am using: >>>>> >>>>> host = get_json('%shosts/%s' % (satellite_url, hostname), username, >>>>> password) >>>>> display_json_results(host) >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> print('Host id is %s' % (host['id'])) >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> parameters = get_json('%shosts/%d/parameters' % (satellite_url, host >>>>> ['id']), username, password) >>>>> display_json_results(parameters) >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> The first part of that works, and I get the host id, which is correct >>>>> (verified through hammer), but the final part doesn't give me any >>>>> parameters for the host, just this: >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> "subnet_name": "BRL_DEVUAT_INFRA_SERVER", >>>>> "updated_at": "2015-10-27T13:34:02Z", >>>>> "use_image": null, >>>>> "uuid": null >>>>> } >>>>> Host id is 221 >>>>> { >>>>> "page": 1, >>>>> "per_page": 40, >>>>> "results": [], >>>>> "search": null, >>>>> "sort": { >>>>> "by": null, >>>>> "order": null >>>>> }, >>>>> "subtotal": 0, >>>>> "total": 0 >>>>> } >>>>> >>>>> I am trying to run 'yum update' on my Satellite server in case that >>>>> helps with any of these issues and I'll report back once that is done. >>>>> There is an issue with that at the moment, which is rpm dependency >>>>> related, so it may not be immediate. In the meantime if anyone can spot >>>>> anything stupidly obvious that is wrong with the code I'm running I'd >>>>> appreciate it. Thanks. >>>>> >>>>> Regards, >>>>> David >>>>> >>>>> On Monday, 26 October 2015 23:32:35 UTC, Justin Garrison wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> I was having the exact same problem. The documentation here >>>>>> says >>>>>> you can get parameters from /api/hosts/:host_id/parameters but that will >>>>>> only show parameters that are set directly on the host or set as an >>>>>> override on the host. It will not show any inherited parameters. My >>>>>> solution was to look for a parameter in the host/parameters and if it's not >>>>>> there get the host group id and look for the parameter there. If multiple >>>>>> host groups are nested you may have to do this repeatedly until you find >>>>>> the parameter you want. >>>>>> >>>>>> That's a terrible solution. Luckily in a future version there will be >>>>>> a all_parameters value on the host which will show all parameters merged >>>>>> into one dictionary. See http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/11763 >>>>>> to track the issue. I'm watching that bug and plan to change my code when >>>>>> it's merged and released. >>>>>> >>>>>> Hope that helps >>>>>> >>>>>> On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:08:42 AM UTC-7, David Evans wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Hi, >>>>>>> >>>>>>> I'm writing a script in Python that needs to enumerate all the host >>>>>>> parameters that have been overridden for a given host. Can anyone help me >>>>>>> understand how to do that? >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Initially I was looking through the Red Hat Satellite API guide, but >>>>>>> I couldn't find a way to do it there. Then I tried to accomplish the same >>>>>>> using hammer, but again with no success. My thinking there was that if I >>>>>>> could accomplish it via hammer that would probably help my understanding of >>>>>>> how it should be implemented in python. So, with that in mind I guess my >>>>>>> questions are: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> 1. Which tree of the API will allow me to see which variables have >>>>>>> been overridden and what values have been set? >>>>>>> 2. Is there a way in the API to query overrides by host, or is >>>>>>> that something I will need to do myself? >>>>>>> >>>>>>> I want to clarify what I mean by 'host parameters' in case it is not >>>>>>> clear. If go to 'Hosts\All Hosts' in the Satellite Web UI and then select >>>>>>> a host and go to the parameters tab I see a list of the variables available >>>>>>> to associated puppet modules. If I elect to override any of those >>>>>>> parameters they appear at the bottom of the tab under the heading 'host >>>>>>> parameters'. In this list I can see the puppet module, variable name and >>>>>>> override value, which is the data I need to extract for my script. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Thanks in advance for any assistance. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Regards, >>>>>>> David >>>>>>> >>>>>>> PS, my environment is RHEL7, Satellite 6, python 2.7 and I have >>>>>>> written enough of the code to query simple braches and display output (such >>>>>>> as hosts and environments). >>>>>>> >>>>>>