Boot files don't get created

Problem:

I can’t find boot files (PXE, EFI, …) after adding a new host for a new deployment. I am not able to find the message that tells me, why they don’t get created, copied or fail in general.

Expected outcome:

that PXE files and menu and kickstart files are created and present in the TFTP folder

[root@ac-foreman tftpboot]# pwd                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
/var/lib/tftpboot                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[root@ac-foreman tftpboot]# foreman-installer --help | grep -i tftp                                                                                                                                                                                                     
    --foreman-proxy-tftp          Enable TFTP feature (current: true)                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    --foreman-proxy-tftp-dirs     Directories to be create in $tftp_root (current: UNDEF)                                                                                                                                                                                   
    --foreman-proxy-tftp-listen-on  TFTP proxy to listen on https, http, or both (current: "https")                                                                                                                                                                         
    --foreman-proxy-tftp-manage-wget  If enabled will install the wget package (current: true)                                                                                                                                                                              
    --foreman-proxy-tftp-managed  The TFTP daemon is managed by this module. (current: true)                                                                                                                                                                                
    --foreman-proxy-tftp-replace-grub2-cfg  Determines if grub2.cfg will be replaced (current: false)                                                                                                                                                                       
    --foreman-proxy-tftp-root     TFTP root directory (current: "/var/lib/tftpboot")                                                                                                                                                                                        
    --foreman-proxy-tftp-servername  Defines the TFTP Servername to use, overrides the name in the subnet declaration (current: UNDEF)                                                                                                                                      
    --foreman-proxy-tftp-syslinux-filenames  Syslinux files to install on TFTP (full paths) (current: ["/usr/share/syslinux/chain.c32", "/usr/share/syslinux/mboot.c32", "/usr/share/syslinux/menu.c32", "/usr/share/syslinux/memdisk", "/usr/share/syslinux/pxelinux.0"])  
[root@ac-foreman tftpboot]#                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman just got an update to 3.2

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Foreman just got an update to 3.2

Distribution and version:

[root@ac-foreman tftpboot]# uname -a                                                                                                           
Linux ac-foreman.domain.local 3.10.0-1160.59.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 23 16:47:03 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux  
[root@ac-foreman tftpboot]# cat /etc/redhat-release                                                                                            
CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)                                                                                                               

Other relevant data:
The system was not used for month because of other priorities and no demand. we just did a update from one version to another and also a OS update.
My feeling is, that some permissions are maybe wrong or gone. using

foreman-installer --foreman-proxy-tftp=true

enabled TFTP again and the permissions on the file level are reset, as far as I can see.

I need help to look for the right places and and keywords. Maybe someone has a nice command at hand, that does a check of the permission or so? Feel free to ask. I can provide some logs if needed, but the question is which one from where. :wink:

Thanks a lot for the support.

more content:

[root@ac-foreman ~]# foreman-maintain service list                             
Running Service List                                                               
================================================================================   
List applicable services:                                                          
dynflow-sidekiq@.service                      enabled                              
foreman-proxy.service                         enabled                              
foreman.service                               enabled                              
httpd.service                                 enabled                              
postgresql.service                            enabled                              
puppetserver.service                          enabled                              
rh-redis5-redis.service                       enabled                              

All services listed                                                   [OK]         
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

[root@ac-foreman ~]# sestatus                                                  
SELinux status:                 disabled                                           
[root@ac-foreman ~]# ll /var/lib/tftpboot                                      
total 184                                                                          
drwxr-xr-x 2 foreman-proxy root    79 Aug 24  2020 boot                            
-rw-r--r-- 1 foreman-proxy root 20832 Aug 21  2020 chain.c32                       
drwxr-xr-x 2 foreman-proxy root  4096 Jun  9  2021 grub                            
drwxr-xr-x 2 foreman-proxy root  4096 Feb 17 21:44 grub2                           
-rw-r--r-- 1 foreman-proxy root 33628 Aug 21  2020 mboot.c32                       
-rw-r--r-- 1 foreman-proxy root 26140 Aug 21  2020 memdisk                         
-rw-r--r-- 1 foreman-proxy root 55140 Aug 21  2020 menu.c32                        
drwxr-xr-x 2 foreman-proxy root     6 Aug 21  2020 poap.cfg                        
-rw-r--r-- 1 foreman-proxy root 26759 Aug 21  2020 pxelinux.0                      
drwxr-xr-x 2 foreman-proxy root  4096 Jun  9  2021 pxelinux.cfg                    
drwxr-xr-x 2 foreman-proxy root     6 Aug 21  2020 ztp.cfg                         
[root@ac-foreman ~]#                                                           

I got I working again. I had to refresh the smart proxy under infrastructure > Smart Proxies. Afterwards the files got created again.