Bulk subscription add to hosts caused product list to disappear from RHEL8

Problem:
This is a weird bug.

I did a bulk subscrption add of a non-Red Hat product subscription to 15 Red Hat 8 hosts. They were all in entitled status before I did this. After I did this, every Red Hat virtual host transitioned to unentitled status over a short period of time. They all still had a “Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Virtual Datacenters, Standard” subscription assigned.

If I attempted an attach or auto attach - they selected a different Red Hat subscription (ignoring the one that was already attached and should have been valid)

When I did some deep troubleshooting, I soon realized the “Provided Products” for the “Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Virtual Datacenters, Standard” subscription that these hosts were using had gone blank.

Other Red Hat subscriptions that I examined still had a valid list of “Provided Products”

I was able to recover from this by reimporting the manifest.

Expected outcome:

The provided products shouldn’t disappear from Red Hat subscriptions and hosts should maintain their available products when a non-related subscrption operation occurs.

Foreman and Proxy versions:

• foreman-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch
  • foreman-proxy-3.0.1-1.el7.noarch

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

• katello-4.2.1-1.el7.noarch
  • candlepin-4.1.7-1.el7.noarch
  • candlepin-selinux-4.1.7-1.el7.noarch

Distribution and version:
CentOS 7.9

Other relevant data:

Hi @Tony_Coffman

I’m skeptical that bulk-attaching the subscriptions was what caused the Provided Products to disappear. Can this behavior be reproduced? If so, does it only happen when bulk attaching, or does it also happen when attaching to a single host? Does it happen with any other subscriptions or just this one?

I totally understand the skepticism. We’ll attempt to repro this.