Can I promote two different OSs to the same lifecycle environment?

Hi,

maybe it’s a silly question - but if I have CentOS and Ubuntu in the same “environment”, does it make sense to muddle them together in this fashion?

Or should I rather create two different lifecycle environments “bla-centos” and “bla-ubuntu”?

Ah, forgot about Activation Keys.

The host registration is with the activation key and that is tied to a Content View and that usually does not cover both CentOS and Ubuntu…

Sorry for the noise.

Lifecycle environments are independent from your operating systems. We operate our server only with “Testing” and “Production” LEs (and Library of course).

Our content views are os family and major version dependent, e.g. we have a content view for EL8 combining CentOS Stream 8 and AlmaLinux 8 into one view, as both require the same set of additional repositories. However, we don’t use simple content access, i.e. we use subscriptions which allows us to use subscription to make sure that CentOS gets CentOS updates and Alma gets Alma updates.

If you use simple content access, you will probably want to split content views depending on your specific operating system.

Activation keys only define which settings a new host gets initially. You can change that in the host settings after registration. Thus, we have activation keys for specific operating systems, e.g. one key for centos stream 8 and one for almalinux 8.

But again, lifecycle environments are independent from that. It only stages your content views versions into different environments.

1 Like