Cannot automatically assign host to same organization as host group

Problem:
Hi,

I want to set up a new Forman 1.24. Therefore, I added some hosts to the Forman and assign to the appropriate host group I created. The host group is assigned to an organization and location. Now my question is, is it possible that the host are automatically in the same organization and location as the host group?

If I want to assign the organization to the host, there is always the error message: “Cannot update Organization to … because of mismatch in settings”. Only if I check the “Fix Organization on Mismatch” box, it is possible.

Thank you

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman 1.24.2
Foreman-Proxy 1.24.2

Distribution and version:
RHEL 7.6

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The way you describe it is not possible, because a hostgroup can be assigned to any number of organizations and locations.
If you create the host manually via the UI, the hosts will be added to your current organization/location context (the ones selected via the drop downs in the top bar). If you are importing existing systems via facts, you can set a default organization/location via the settings AFAIK. There is afaik also a way to set the organization and location by sending a certain fact. I think they are foreman_location and foreman_organization, but I could not find anything on that and am not entirely sure here.

Regards

Hi @areyus,

thank you for your support.

I tried your solution by sending the location/organization as a fact to the host. This enabled me to set the value for the location/organization.

Regards
Luis