Change hardware in vmware

Good morning everyone,

we do have problems with the VMWare provider. Maybe we do expect another behaviour of how it should work, so here my question to the community.

Problem:
We created a virtual machine in VMWare vCenter. After deploying a new instance, it is nor possible to add a virtual disk afterwards, neither is it possible to change the hardware at all (f. e. CPU hotplug, …). All fields are read only.

Expected outcome:
Change hardware is possible

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman 1.24.0-15
Foreman-Proxy 1.24.5

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
Katello 3.14
Foreman-VMWare 1.24.0-15

Distribution and version:
CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)

Other relevant data:

We tried it with template and with content provisioning. There is no documentation, that adding hardware afterwards is not possible. vCenter is installed in version 6 (up2date) and we have got administrator rights. If you need further information, feel free to ask.

Thanks for your time :slight_smile:

Hello, this is not possible through Foreman, we have a very limited integration with virtualization and cloud. Our main focus is bare-metal provisioning.

its worth mentioning that some compute resources do allow that, so its not completely out of scope for foreman, having said that, its probably not implemented for vmware… patches are welcoemd :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely it’s not, however there are better tools for the job (Terraform, Ansible) to define infrastructure and I believe we should focus in more important things :wink:

Sure it is! Thanks for your reply and your support. It is solved for me.