Clustering (DR scenario) and if it's made any useful progress in recent years

Problem:
Clustering and if it’s made any useful progress in recent years.

Expected outcome:
Be able to stand up 2 Foreman/Katello instances which will be in sync with each other and both having a full and complete useful GUI. (DR scenario).

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman 2.0.1 / 2.1.0 (when officially released)
Katello 3.15 / 3.16 (when officially released)

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
N/A

Distribution and version:
CentOS 7 / CentOS 8 (when officially supported)

Other relevant data:
I am just looking to see if it’s even worth going down the road of using or deploying a clustered / DR environment or just use a “master” Foreman instance with a Smart Proxy in the DR site.

I have searched this site and did find some older posts i.e. Can FOREMAN be clustered? - not sure if this is worth trying if its not something that can be truly supported or not.

Reviving this topic. It appears from section 5.8 of the manual - MultipleForemaninstances, that this can work now.

That said, it’s a few sentences that are very vague. I have many questions, such as, how exactly does the database sharing work? Which dB do I point my instances to? Is this referring to an external dB?

Is this an active/active setup? From the section 5.8.4, it discusses using the same ‘hostname’ then refers to apache, so is this an apache vhost common name? In which case it seems it’s using DNS to randomly pick a foreman to take the request?

I really need to do this, and would be happy to fully document it, even be a point of contact to help y’all out with this. It seems like a much needed feature for anyone that is serious about managing a large production environment with foreman.