Dependency Error when trying to upgrade from foreman+katello 3.2.1 - Documentation needs updating?

Problem:
I am getting a foreman dependency error when trying to upgrade to 3.3. Following these instructions starting at section 2.1.1 but for Rocky Linux8, not anything EL7 Step 7:

[root@chilxforeman ~]# yum clean all
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity

This system is not registered with an entitlement server. You can use subscription-manager to register.

94 files removed
[root@chilxforeman ~]# yum -y update
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity

This system is not registered with an entitlement server. You can use subscription-manager to register.

CentOS Configmanagement SIG - ansible-29 1.2 MB/s | 2.1 MB 00:01
Rocky Linux 8 - AppStream 8.4 MB/s | 8.8 MB 00:01
Rocky Linux 8 - BaseOS 3.4 MB/s | 3.7 MB 00:01
Rocky Linux 8 - Extras 35 kB/s | 11 kB 00:00
Rocky Linux 8 - PowerTools 3.4 MB/s | 2.3 MB 00:00
Foreman 3.3 14 MB/s | 1.6 MB 00:00
Foreman plugins 3.3 14 MB/s | 1.9 MB 00:00
Katello 4.5 4.1 MB/s | 415 kB 00:00
Candlepin: an open source entitlement management system. 211 kB/s | 15 kB 00:00
pulpcore: Fetch, Upload, Organize, and Distribute Software Packages. 3.7 MB/s | 359 kB 00:00
Puppet 7 Repository el 8 - x86_64 9.8 MB/s | 13 MB 00:01
Error:
Problem: package rubygem-foreman_remote_execution-7.1.0-1.fm3_3.el8.noarch requires foreman >= 3.3.0, but none of the providers can be installed

• cannot install the best update candidate for package rubygem-foreman_remote_execution-6.0.0-1.fm3_2.el8.noarch
  • package foreman-3.3.0-0.5.rc1.el8.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
  • package foreman-3.3.0-0.5.rc2.el8.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
  • package foreman-3.3.0-1.el8.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
    (try to add ‘–skip-broken’ to skip uninstallable packages or ‘–nobest’ to use not only best candidate packages)
    [root@chilxforeman ~]#

Expected outcome:
successful upgrade foreman+katello 3.3 / 4.5

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman 3.2.1-1
Katello 4.4-1

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
None

Distribution and version:
Rocky Linux 8.6

Other relevant data:
To correct this I followed install instructions below section 3.1.3:

https://docs.theforeman.org/3.3/Installing_Server/index-katello.html#Installing_Server_Connected_foreman

Step 8: dnf module enable katello:el8 pulpcore:el8

then proceeded with Upgrading and Updating Foreman step 10.

Now I am on foreman 3.3 / Katello 4.5.0-1

You seem to be missing the foreman module:

# dnf module enable foreman

I just stumbled over this issue.

Same for katello, there is a new module stream “katello” that has to be enabled before you update (if you use katello).

I cant find this in the upgrade documentation, can someone add the info about the module stream requirement?

Hi you all, I already created a PR for that:

https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-documentation/pull/1397

It’s for Foreman:

dnf module enable foreman

And for Foreman/Katello:

dnf module enable foreman katello pulpcore
1 Like

I forgot to enable pulpcore but i worked, now i enabled pulpcore stream, updated and now foreman-installer is broken with:

2022-07-11 14:38:23 [ERROR ] [configure] /Stage[main]/Pulpcore::Database/Pulpcore::Admin[migrate --noinput]/Exec[pulpcore-manager migrate --noinput]/returns: change from 'notrun' to ['0'] failed: 'pulpcore-manager migrate --noinput' returned 1 instead of one of [0]

If i try to do a “PULP_SETTINGS=’/etc/pulp/settings.py’ pulpcore-manager migrate” by hand it ends up with.

[root@fm /]# PULP_SETTINGS='/etc/pulp/settings.py'  pulpcore-manager migrate
System check identified some issues:

WARNINGS:
?: (guardian.W001) Guardian authentication backend is not hooked. You can add this in settings as eg: `AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS = ('django.contrib.auth.backends.ModelBackend', 'guardian.backends.ObjectPermissionBackend')`.

o.O we would need a Katello or Pulp dev here, I only am from the user side and don’t know the application into the depth until now.