Discovery image - question about interface names -discovery image says eno1. but cent66 boots as em1

So discovery image is based on centos7, and when i configure the nics it
shows them as eno1,2,3,4 but if i select centos6.6 as my OS to install,
CentOS 6.6 seems to configure them as em1,2,3,4 and it never finishes the
network setup/provisioning.

Going to screw around some more, but i hadn't thought of this before… do
i need to assume em1,2,3,4 for provisioning the Bond0 even though discovery
says eno? Just wondering if anyone else ran into this while I go off and
debug

Hey!

> So discovery image is based on centos7, and when i configure the nics it
> shows them as eno1,2,3,4 but if i select centos6.6 as my OS to install,
> CentOS 6.6 seems to configure them as em1,2,3,4 and it never finishes the
> network setup/provisioning.

Can you elaborate that? Never finishes? I'd expect Anaconda to install
the primary interface and then our networking scriplet to deploy rh-cfg
configuration files. Yes, interface names might be incorrect, but this
should definitely not block installation. I don't get this.

> Going to screw around some more, but i hadn't thought of this before… do
> i need to assume em1,2,3,4 for provisioning the Bond0 even though discovery
> says eno? Just wondering if anyone else ran into this while I go off and
> debug

This always's been a problem in mixed environments and to solve that we
need to implement some kind of renaming in the provisioning code in
Foreman. But if you use RHEL6 exclusively, you should be able to provide
the kernel command line option that tells RHEL to use the "old" naming
conventions.

··· -- Later, Lukas #lzap Zapletal

Lukas,

Running into an issue when using discovery image, that when i provision a
box it boots up and asks me which interface i wan't to use to provision
(Even though its declared in config) and then it just sits there trying to
download install… i can't ping any of the interfaces.

Going to switch this to centos7 and see if i can work around it… and make
sure i didn't break anything else :slight_smile:

-byron

··· On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 3:36:59 AM UTC-5, Lukas Zapletal wrote: > > Hey! > > > So discovery image is based on centos7, and when i configure the nics it > > shows them as eno1,2,3,4 but if i select centos6.6 as my OS to install, > > CentOS 6.6 seems to configure them as em1,2,3,4 and it never finishes > the > > network setup/provisioning. > > Can you elaborate that? Never finishes? I'd expect Anaconda to install > the primary interface and then our networking scriplet to deploy rh-cfg > configuration files. Yes, interface names might be incorrect, but this > should definitely not block installation. I don't get this. > > > Going to screw around some more, but i hadn't thought of this before.. > do > > i need to assume em1,2,3,4 for provisioning the Bond0 even though > discovery > > says eno? Just wondering if anyone else ran into this while I go off and > > debug > > This always's been a problem in mixed environments and to solve that we > need to implement some kind of renaming in the provisioning code in > Foreman. But if you use RHEL6 exclusively, you should be able to provide > the kernel command line option that tells RHEL to use the "old" naming > conventions. > > -- > Later, > Lukas #lzap Zapletal >

just confirmed, centos7 does at least start to install, centos6.6/6.7 just
gets stuck on apparntly trying to bring up interfaces. I'd like to avoid
hardcoding to 6.x but majority of our systems currently are that way…

curious if i force 6.x way, if the 7.x boxes will just adopt…

off to experiment.

··· On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 12:33:11 PM UTC-5, Byron Miller wrote: > > Lukas, > > Running into an issue when using discovery image, that when i provision a > box it boots up and asks me which interface i wan't to use to provision > (Even though its declared in config) and then it just sits there trying to > download install... i can't ping any of the interfaces. > > Going to switch this to centos7 and see if i can work around it.. and make > sure i didn't break anything else :) > > -byron > > On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 3:36:59 AM UTC-5, Lukas Zapletal wrote: >> >> Hey! >> >> > So discovery image is based on centos7, and when i configure the nics >> it >> > shows them as eno1,2,3,4 but if i select centos6.6 as my OS to install, >> > CentOS 6.6 seems to configure them as em1,2,3,4 and it never finishes >> the >> > network setup/provisioning. >> >> Can you elaborate that? Never finishes? I'd expect Anaconda to install >> the primary interface and then our networking scriplet to deploy rh-cfg >> configuration files. Yes, interface names might be incorrect, but this >> should definitely not block installation. I don't get this. >> >> > Going to screw around some more, but i hadn't thought of this before.. >> do >> > i need to assume em1,2,3,4 for provisioning the Bond0 even though >> discovery >> > says eno? Just wondering if anyone else ran into this while I go off >> and >> > debug >> >> This always's been a problem in mixed environments and to solve that we >> need to implement some kind of renaming in the provisioning code in >> Foreman. But if you use RHEL6 exclusively, you should be able to provide >> the kernel command line option that tells RHEL to use the "old" naming >> conventions. >> >> -- >> Later, >> Lukas #lzap Zapletal >> >

Created

http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/11351

LZ

··· On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:39:47AM -0700, Byron Miller wrote: > just confirmed, centos7 does at least start to install, centos6.6/6.7 just > gets stuck on apparntly trying to bring up interfaces. I'd like to avoid > hardcoding to 6.x but majority of our systems currently are that way.. > > curious if i force 6.x way, if the 7.x boxes will just adopt.. > > off to experiment. > > On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 12:33:11 PM UTC-5, Byron Miller wrote: > > > > Lukas, > > > > Running into an issue when using discovery image, that when i provision a > > box it boots up and asks me which interface i wan't to use to provision > > (Even though its declared in config) and then it just sits there trying to > > download install... i can't ping any of the interfaces. > > > > Going to switch this to centos7 and see if i can work around it.. and make > > sure i didn't break anything else :) > > > > -byron > > > > On Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 3:36:59 AM UTC-5, Lukas Zapletal wrote: > >> > >> Hey! > >> > >> > So discovery image is based on centos7, and when i configure the nics > >> it > >> > shows them as eno1,2,3,4 but if i select centos6.6 as my OS to install, > >> > CentOS 6.6 seems to configure them as em1,2,3,4 and it never finishes > >> the > >> > network setup/provisioning. > >> > >> Can you elaborate that? Never finishes? I'd expect Anaconda to install > >> the primary interface and then our networking scriplet to deploy rh-cfg > >> configuration files. Yes, interface names might be incorrect, but this > >> should definitely not block installation. I don't get this. > >> > >> > Going to screw around some more, but i hadn't thought of this before.. > >> do > >> > i need to assume em1,2,3,4 for provisioning the Bond0 even though > >> discovery > >> > says eno? Just wondering if anyone else ran into this while I go off > >> and > >> > debug > >> > >> This always's been a problem in mixed environments and to solve that we > >> need to implement some kind of renaming in the provisioning code in > >> Foreman. But if you use RHEL6 exclusively, you should be able to provide > >> the kernel command line option that tells RHEL to use the "old" naming > >> conventions. > >> > >> -- > >> Later, > >> Lukas #lzap Zapletal > >> > > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Later,
Lukas #lzap Zapletal