Dnf module enable fails during installation of foreman 3.1

Problem:
I am trying to install foreman3.1 on a redhat 8.8 system. but cannot enable katello:el8 modules.

dnf module list does not show any katello modules.

I am following installation instructions on : Installing Foreman 3.1 Server with Katello 4.3 Plugin on RHEL/CentOS, and am in section 3.2.3 and cannot get past step 7.

I do not understand a) how to get the modules, much less b) enable them.

I have the following repositories enabled:

[root@ptdvuforemannew01d yum.repos.d]# dnf repolist
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
repo id repo name
foreman Foreman 3.1
foreman-plugins Foreman plugins 3.1
katello Katello 4.3
katello-candlepin Candlepin: an open source entitlement management system.
pulpcore pulpcore: Fetch, Upload, Organize, and Distribute Software Packages.
puppet6 Puppet 6 Repository el 8 - x86_64
rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (RPMs)
rhel-8-for-x86_64-baseos-rpms Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS (RPMs)

Expected outcome:
enabled modules (not sure what this output looks like)

Foreman and Proxy versions:
fresh installation on rhel 8.8 (licensed) of foreman 3.1/katello 4.3.

This is on an upgrade track whereby I am tryign to restore a foreman 3.1 system from centos 7 onto rhel8.

Other relevant data:

Hello, further information:

I ran “dnf module list”

I see pulpcore el8. but katello el8 is not listed.

–jason

I looked into this a bit and it seems like the information on enabling the katello:el8 module was added to the 3.1/4.3 docs by accident with a cherry-pick of GitHub - theforeman/foreman-packaging at rpm/3.2 to 3.1. Index of /katello/4.3/katello/el8/x86_64/repodata does not contain any module information, and the 3.1 packaging repo also does not contain information about modules. ( compare repodata for 4.4 and packaging for 3.2)

Sadly, neither the release notes nor the upgrade documentation for 3.2 mention that you need to enable the module when upgrading to 3.2, so I can only guess what to do here.
My best guess would be to install 3.1 with only the pulpcore module enabled, then when upgrading to 3.2 enable the Katello module after installing the 3.2/4.4 repos and before dnf update .
A “safe” bet would probably be to upgrade your existing installation to 3.2 or 3.3 and build the new system with that version, since the installation docs look more correct for those versions.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate the irony of the accidental cherry-pick: i’ve done that myself. To myself, to be accurate…

I will check out running the install with only the pulpcore:el8 enabled…

Having said that, this is not my only backup and restore point. I am on a quest to upgrade from 2.5.1 all the way up to current (with it’s associated version of katello).

foreman2.5.1+katello on centos7 —> foreman 3.9+katello on redhat 8.

So foreman and katello share compatibliity with centos 7 and redhat 8 between foreman versions 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3.

–jason

–jason

1 Like

Hello @areyus,

your advice worked: here’s what I did:

dnf module enable pulpcore:el8
dnf update --allowerasing
dnf install foreman-installer-katello

1 Like