DNS Refresh

Hey Guys,

Question for people, I've a client environment where we're using foreman to
update some microsoft based DNS servers, we're in a situation where we're
having these DNS records we create with foreman removed after a few weeks.
(done automatically by the wintel DNS server).

The client may not be able to disable this on their DNS server, so i'm
wondering what the best option from the foreman side of things would be?

Ideally, i'd just like to set a "refresh DNS records every X days" on a
domain entry in the foreman DNS server.

IF this was implemented, it'd be a smart proxy feature I guess, but would
it need to be triggered by the main foreman server? :expressionless:

I really need to get this sorted out, and was hoping to avoid hacking
something together outside of foreman so i'm open to suggestions here also!

Were actually in the same situation. We have scavenging enabled on our MS DNS server. Would be great to have a built in solution.

··· Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 30.07.2014 um 01:52 schrieb Leon Strong icesmurf@gmail.com:

Hey Guys,

Question for people, I’ve a client environment where we’re using foreman to update some microsoft based DNS servers, we’re in a situation where we’re having these DNS records we create with foreman removed after a few weeks. (done automatically by the wintel DNS server).

The client may not be able to disable this on their DNS server, so i’m wondering what the best option from the foreman side of things would be?

Ideally, i’d just like to set a “refresh DNS records every X days” on a domain entry in the foreman DNS server.

IF this was implemented, it’d be a smart proxy feature I guess, but would it need to be triggered by the main foreman server? :expressionless:

I really need to get this sorted out, and was hoping to avoid hacking something together outside of foreman so i’m open to suggestions here also!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “foreman-dev” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Have a look at the "dnscmd" dns_provider for the smart proxy (ticket
#3991) which if I understood correctly, creates static entries that
aren't susceptible to scavenging.

··· On 30/07/14 00:52, Leon Strong wrote: > Hey Guys, > > Question for people, I've a client environment where we're using foreman > to update some microsoft based DNS servers, we're in a situation where > we're having these DNS records we create with foreman removed after a > few weeks. (done automatically by the wintel DNS server). > > The client may not be able to disable this on their DNS server, so i'm > wondering what the best option from the foreman side of things would be? > > Ideally, i'd just like to set a "refresh DNS records every X days" on a > domain entry in the foreman DNS server. > > IF this was implemented, it'd be a smart proxy feature I guess, but > would it need to be triggered by the main foreman server? :| > > I really need to get this sorted out, and was hoping to avoid hacking > something together outside of foreman so i'm open to suggestions here also!

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering