Error: "Puppet ca proxy does not have the Puppet CA feature"

Problem:

I am preparing to migrate an old Puppet 3.8, Foreman 1.12, CentOS 6.x server to a modern Puppet & Foreman installation. As part of this process, I swapped out the Apache/Passenger stack for a new Puppetserver daemon (as recommended at https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/5.5/upgrade_major_pre.html ).

Many things seem to work okay, but one remaining problem is that certain commands fail with an error about the Puppet CA:

$ hammer host update --name host1.example.org --environment dev
Could not update the host:
  Puppet ca proxy does not have the Puppet CA feature
$

I am unsure which component is broken here. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

• /etc/foreman-proxy/settings.d/puppetca.yml contains the following configuration. These settings look correct to me, and match the settings from Foreman :: Manual .

# PuppetCA management
      :enabled: https
      :ssldir: /var/lib/puppet/ssl
      :puppetdir: /etc/puppet

• /var/lib/puppet/ssl does indeed contain our certificates, and sudo -u foreman-proxy ls -l /var/lib/puppet/ssl/ca/signed/ shows the client certs.

Expected outcome:

I expected hammer host update --name host1.example.org --environment dev to change the environment for this host.

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman: 1.12.4
Foreman-proxy: 1.12.4

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Unsure. Version 1.12.4 I think?

Other relevant data:
[e.g. logs from Foreman and/or the Proxy, modified templates, commands issued, etc]

No logs are generated under /var/log/* after I run this command, even after setting :log_level: DEBUG

Our architecture is fairly straightforward. One EL6 host hosts Foreman, the Foreman Proxies & the Puppet Master. Everything lives on one host.

This problem went away after I ran foreman-installer for the umpteenth time. I suppose the error occured because a daemon was out of sync. shrug

Glad you got there - my guess would have been that Puppet 5 and Foreman 1.12 don’t play nicely - I’d have upgraded Foreman first. Still, a solution is a solution, I guess :slight_smile:

Puppet 5 and Foreman 1.12

Just to be clear, this was Puppet 3.8 & Foreman 1.12. We’re doing some preparation steps before migrating this cluster to a new Puppet 5 & Foreman 1.17 master.