Failing to create libvirt virtual machine - IDE controllers are unsupported for this QEMU binary or machine type

Problem:

I am trying to provision an image with “User Data” selected (i.e. using cloud-init). However when I try to build the VM an error is returned:

“Failed to create a compute uatba801 (Libvirt) instance lucy-brumlow.equiduct.eu: Error saving the server: Call to virDomainDefineXML failed: unsupported configuration: IDE controllers are unsupported for this QEMU binary or machine type”

I assume this is foreman trying to create a CDROM device for the “lucy-brumlow.example.com-cloud-init.iso” that has been created by foreman which holds the “user-data” file. But the QEMU machine type pc-q35 does not support IDE. Shouldn’t foreman request libvirt to create a SATA/SCSI device rather than a IDE device?

Expected outcome:

Provisioning of libvirt resource completes without error.

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman 3.10

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Katello 4.12.0

Distribution and version:

AlmaLinux 8.9

Compute resources are running RHEL 8.7 and 9.4. Both have the same error message.

Have the same issue, did you find a solution ?

1 Like

I haven’t spent a huge amount of time looking into this issue and have since created a clean install using Foreman 3.11 lossing my orginal libvirt setup. (I’ve since been investigating using Proxmox instead)

However, with a little bit more digging around today this pull request looks very promising to fix the issue: feat: replaced unsupported ide with q35 machine type with scsi cdrom … by smirta · Pull Request #137 · fog/fog-libvirt · GitHub

I can’t test at the moment but if you could and confirm that would be very helpful! :smiley: