Foreman 1.19 test week

This affect probably foreman scenario too : Bug #24418: katello scenario with some plugins fails because of missing packages in formean-plugins repository - Katello - Foreman, no ?

1 Like

GPG check disabled, I upgraded my foreman 1.18 / katello 3.7 test setup.
Package updates finished without problem (though long rake run).
Running foreman-installer --scenario katello --upgrade failed on postgresql step. I m almost sure it s because of it s a postgresql 9.6 (from postgresql.org repo) and the systemd service name is not just “postgresql” but “postgresql-9.6”. There is a postgresql::globals::service_name: postgresql-9.6 in custom-hiera.yaml but it s probably only used by puppet.

[root@foremandev ~]# foreman-installer --scenario katello --upgrade
Resetting puppet server version param...
Upgrading, to monitor the progress on all related services, please do:
  foreman-tail | tee upgrade-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H%M).log
Upgrade Step: stop_services...
Redirecting to 'foreman-maintain service'
Running Stop Services
================================================================================
Check if command is run as root user:                                 [OK]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stop applicable services: Stopping the following service(s):

rh-mongodb34-mongod, qdrouterd, qpidd, squid, pulp_resource_manager, pulp_streamer, smart_proxy_dynflow_core, foreman-proxy, pulp_celerybeat, pulp_workers, tomcat, dynflowd, httpd, puppetserver

\ All services stopped                                                [OK]      
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

katello-service stop finished successfully!
Upgrade Step: start_postgresql...
Redirecting to 'foreman-maintain service'
Running Start Services
================================================================================
Check if command is run as root user:                                 [OK]
Start applicable services: Starting the following service(s):
                                   [FAIL]
No services found matching your parameters
Scenario [Start Services] failed.

The following steps ended up in failing state:

[service-start]

Resolve the failed steps and rerun
the command. In case the failures are false positives,
use --whitelist="service-start"

katello-service start --only postgresql failed! Check the output for error!
Upgrade step start_postgresql failed. Check logs for more information.

[root@foremandev ~]# systemctl list-units "postgres*"
UNIT                   LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION
postgresql-9.6.service loaded active running PostgreSQL 9.6 database server

@hartmel, thanks for this report. Could you please file this as an issue against foreman-maintain in our tracker [1]? If not let me know and I can do it.

As a workaround you can try

ln -s /etc/systemd/system/postgresql-9.6.service /etc/systemd/system/postgresql.service

Regards,
Martin

[1] https://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman-maintain/issues/new

1 Like

Created issue Bug #24521: support custom postgresql versions - Foreman Maintain - Foreman
Thanks for the workaround !

1 Like

Workaround allowed to finish process
[ INFO 2018-08-02T13:46:58 verbose] Installer finished in 1822.137494432 seconds

1 Like

@hartmel, thanks for your help!

Tried another update run, this time without disabling gpg check on RPMs : Bug #24417: cannot install katello packages without disabling gpg check - Katello - Foreman

Found PXE provisioning blocker issue: Bug #24578: PXE provisioning does not work in 1.19: snippet 'blacklist_kernel_modules' does not exist - Foreman

Among other problems I already created issues for, there are these :

Can someone qualify for which ones I should open issue in redmine ?

With RC2 released - Foreman 1.19.0-RC2 has been released - there is still time to test and make sure we don’t have significant issues in the final 1.19.0 version!
Thanks to everyone who has been testing RC1 so far, thanks to you we have found several blockers that are being addressed with hopes of making 1.19.0 as stable as possible.

Note I messed up the gpgcheck on the plugins repository and that wasn’t fixed in RC2. It was in a previous PR that was closed but didn’t port it to the actual fix PR. I’ll get that into RC3.

Tested foreman_ansible with RC2, the report page with plugin introduced react component is broken again. I thought this was already resolved.

Uncaught Error: Component not found:  ReportJsonViewer among BookmarkContainer, DonutChart, StatisticsChartsList, PowerStatus, NotificationContainer, ToastNotifications, StorageContainer, PasswordStrength, BreadcrumbBar, FactChart
    at Object.markup (bundle-debc7a31d7c1efeae928.js:1)
    at Object.t.mount (bundle-debc7a31d7c1efeae928.js:1)
    at 20:424

It sounds like we need to rebuild all Foreman Plugins after every Foreman build. Also wondering if that the resulting RPM only works with that exact Foreman build.

Isn’t this Bug #24371: In production webpacked_plugins_js_for $PLUGIN doesn’t load the js if the plugin doesn’t provide the sources - Foreman ? if so, it wasn’t merged in time for RC2, and will be in RC3 (but possibly you can apply the patch manually to check if it fixes the issue or not)

I just found that passenger versions are incorrect:

# rpm -qa | grep passenger
tfm-rubygem-passenger-4.0.18-9.12.el7.x86_64
passenger-4.0.53-4.el7.x86_64
tfm-rubygem-passenger-native-libs-4.0.18-9.12.el7.x86_64
mod_passenger-4.0.53-4.el7.x86_64
tfm-rubygem-passenger-native-4.0.18-9.12.el7.x86_64

It’s EPEL vs Foreman yum repo, we should probably update passenger in Foreman to the EPEL version. There are dragons (SELinux paths) so test with SELinux enabled.

https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/24618

Everyone, can you review our checklist? I see that nobody checked “manual installation according our docs”. Looks like everyone is automating this time :slight_smile:

Let’s push for the last couple of days to have a good release!

1 Like

FYI Bug #24628: foreman installer fails - Foreman

1 Like

I had a leftover in my install script which turned SELinux to permissive, this was to allow installation when there was a bug. It looks like I forgot to remove this line, so I tested both 1.18 and 1.19 RCs with SELinux turned off.

Can someone confirm 1.19 works fine in enforcing? At least installation.

We have a report on 1.18 which I am currently trying to reproduce:

https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/24616

so the issue is gone with 1.19.0, I think it was addressed by Bug #24371: In production webpacked_plugins_js_for $PLUGIN doesn't load the js if the plugin doesn't provide the sources - Foreman

2 Likes