Foreman 3.11 branching process

Make this post a wiki (help)

Roles

Prep Week: 2024-05-07 to 2024-05-11

Installer Maintainer

Release Owner

• Ensure headline features planned for the release have been merged or push them off to the next release.
  • Translations:
    • Update locales in foreman develop: make -C locale tx-update
    • Ask plugin authors to start extracting i18n strings and pushing the changes into develop/master git branches so Transifex can pick it up
    • Announce string freeze date on Discourse and send announcement
    • Update foreman-dev with translations status (click on Report) to encourage 100% translations before release

Stabilization Week: 2024-05-14 to 2024-05-18

Release Owner

• Announce start of stabilization week to discourse development category.
  • Request new Hammer CLI release from maintainers if needed.
  • Prepare the manual for the new version:
    • Change $next parameter on web class to point to the new version number.
    • Copy website manual content from nightly to 3.11 and update version numbers mentioned in it.
      • cp -r manuals/nightly manuals/3.11
      • cp -r _includes/manuals/nightly _includes/manuals/3.11
      • sed -i 's/nightly/3.11/i' manuals/3.11/*.md
      • sed -i '/previous_version/ s/: .\+/: "3.11"/' manuals/nightly/index.md
      • sed -i '/- nightly/a \ \ - "3.11"' _config.yml
    • Update installer options section of nightly manual using the get-params script
    • Clean up deprecation and upgrade warnings from nightly manual for in both foreman.adoc and katello.adoc.
  • Add new languages that are at a reasonable completion on Transifex to develop

Release Engineer

Branching: 2024-05-21

Release Engineer

• Branch RPM packaging
    • Create a rpm/3.11 branch in foreman-packaging based on rpm/develop: git checkout rpm/develop && git pull && git checkout -b rpm/3.11
    • Update foreman_version in package_manifest.yaml on the rpm/3.11 branch: sed -i '/foreman_version:/ s/nightly/3.11/' package_manifest.yaml
    • Update katello_version in package_manifest.yaml on the rpm/3.11 branch: sed -i '/katello_version:/ s/nightly/KATELLO_VERSION_HERE/' package_manifest.yaml
    • Create release repositories in Copr by forking nightly repositories obal copr-project copr_projects on the rpm/3.11 branch
    • Push the rpm/3.11 branch
  • Branch Debian packaging

Release Owner

The next step should only be done after all branching, including packaging, has completed.

Preparing build systems: 2024-05-21

Release engineer

• Merge the earlier created jenkins-jobs PR that creates the release pipelines
  • Update foreman-packaging rpm/develop to ensure nightlies build:
    • rpm/develop:
      • Update the build tag: sed -i 's/fm3_11/fm3_12/g' package_manifest.yaml
      • Set to version 3.12.0, reset release to 1: sed -i '/^Version:/ s/[0-9\.]\+$/3.12.0/ ; /^%global release/ s/[0-9]\+$/1/' packages/foreman/foreman{,-{installer,proxy,release,selinux}}/*.spec packages/foreman/rubygem-hammer_cli{,_foreman}/*.spec
      • Create a changelog using obal changelog --message '- Bump version to 3.12-develop' foreman{,-{installer,proxy,release,selinux}} rubygem-hammer_cli{,_foreman}
      • Commit: git commit -a -m 'Bump version to 3.12-develop'
    • deb/develop: scripts/changelog.rb -v 3.12.0-1 -m "Bump changelog to 3.12.0 to match VERSION" debian/*/*/changelog
  • Prepare build systems for 3.11 release:
    • foreman-packaging’s rpm/3.11
      • Update packages/foreman/foreman-release/foreman.gpg, mock/*.cfg, package_manifest.yaml and repoclosure/*.conf
    • foreman-packaging’s deb/3.11
  • Trigger the foreman-packaging-rpm-3.11 job once, so that GitHub hooks are properly set up.
  • Trigger the foreman-packaging-deb-3.11 job once, so that GitHub hooks are properly set up.

Other systems: 2024-05-21

Release Owner

• Generate and post the release procedure, if not already posted:
  • Create the 3.11.0-rc release procedure in Development/Releases: PROJECT=foreman VERSION=3.11 ./procedure_release 2024-05-21 '@Griffin-Sullivan' '@' | wl-copy
  • Create a Foreman 3.12 Schedule and Planning post on Development/Releases using schedule: ./schedule 2024-05-22 (make sure there are no conflicts with other important dates)
  • Create Redmine version 3.12.0 and make sure it is shared with subprojects in foreman
  • Ensure current Foreman deprecations for the next release are removed in develop

This was based on the wiki procedure and sometimes has a bit more info.

Locales update: Update locales for Foreman 3.11.0 branching by Griffin-Sullivan · Pull Request #10154 · theforeman/foreman · GitHub