Foreman 3.3 List for remote execution is empty under subnets

Problem:
Two smart proxies are installed for different domains and both have the “Script” feature enabled. I need to select specific smart proxy for the domain but under the domain there is no option to specify which remote execution proxy should be used. As a workaround I’ve setup subnets but no proxy is listed under the “Remote Execution” tab. When running task sometimes the wrong proxy is selected and the job fails. Does anyone else experience the same problem on version 3.3?

This is new 3.3 installation. Not an upgrade.

Expected outcome:
Both smart proxies should be listed.

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Version 3.3.0

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
foreman-tasks 6.0.2
foreman_fog_proxmox 0.14.0
foreman_remote_execution 7.1.0
katello 4.5.0

Did you select the same location and organization for your smart proxies and the subnets?

Organization and location are set the same for proxies and subnets. I’ve looked into the code thinking that the feature renaming from SSH-> Script could have anything to do with that but I’m not a ruby programmer and what I saw looked right to me. Are those proxies loaded through Javascript? Can I enable debugging to see what the backtrace is and what kind of SQL is run to get those proxies?

Feels like you can solve this by adding your hosts to correct configured host groups since in the host groups you can set everything you need, including domain and content source.

You can enable sql logging and then sift through the logs. I just checked on my machine and I’m failing to reproduce this.

Ah, got it. On my machine it searched for a proxy having SSH, script or Ansible features, but the feature is Script (capital S), but it still showed in the list because of ansible. Tracked as Bug #35308: Script remote execution is registered under a name which does not match the smart proxy feature - Foreman Remote Execution - Foreman

After applying your commits manually from Bug #35308: Script remote execution is registered under a name which does not match the smart proxy feature - Foreman Remote Execution - Foreman, I can select remote execution proxies for subnets. Thanks for looking into this.

I think it would be great if we could set remote execution proxies per domain and use the same selection order as for parameters.

Now I’m getting an error in the job task and I think it is related to this issue. Here is the backtrace and error message. f you want me to create a new thread let me know.

Error:

NoMethodError: undefined method `host_id=' for ["SSH", "Script"]:Array

Backtrace:

/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_remote_execution-7.1.0/app/lib/actions/remote_execution/run_hosts_job.rb:50:in `block in create_sub_plans'
/usr/share/gems/gems/activerecord-6.0.4.7/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:88:in `each'
/usr/share/gems/gems/activerecord-6.0.4.7/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:88:in `each'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_remote_execution-7.1.0/app/lib/actions/remote_execution/run_hosts_job.rb:46:in `map'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_remote_execution-7.1.0/app/lib/actions/remote_execution/run_hosts_job.rb:46:in `create_sub_plans'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/with_sub_plans.rb:41:in `spawn_plans'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/with_bulk_sub_plans.rb:71:in `spawn_plans'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_remote_execution-7.1.0/app/lib/actions/remote_execution/run_hosts_job.rb:56:in `spawn_plans'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/with_sub_plans.rb:37:in `initiate'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/with_bulk_sub_plans.rb:36:in `initiate'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/with_polling_sub_plans.rb:24:in `initiate'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_remote_execution-7.1.0/app/lib/actions/remote_execution/run_hosts_job.rb:110:in `initiate'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/with_sub_plans.rb:17:in `block in run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/algebrick-0.7.3/lib/algebrick/matchers/abstract.rb:74:in `block in assigns'
/usr/share/gems/gems/algebrick-0.7.3/lib/algebrick/matchers/abstract.rb:73:in `tap'
/usr/share/gems/gems/algebrick-0.7.3/lib/algebrick/matchers/abstract.rb:73:in `assigns'
/usr/share/gems/gems/algebrick-0.7.3/lib/algebrick/matching.rb:56:in `match_value'
/usr/share/gems/gems/algebrick-0.7.3/lib/algebrick/matching.rb:36:in `block in match?'
/usr/share/gems/gems/algebrick-0.7.3/lib/algebrick/matching.rb:35:in `each'
/usr/share/gems/gems/algebrick-0.7.3/lib/algebrick/matching.rb:35:in `match?'
/usr/share/gems/gems/algebrick-0.7.3/lib/algebrick/matching.rb:23:in `match'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/with_sub_plans.rb:12:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/with_bulk_sub_plans.rb:24:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/with_polling_sub_plans.rb:13:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_remote_execution-7.1.0/app/lib/actions/remote_execution/run_hosts_job.rb:140:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action.rb:582:in `block (3 levels) in execute_run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/middleware/stack.rb:27:in `pass'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/middleware.rb:19:in `pass'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/watch_delegated_proxy_sub_tasks.rb:17:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/middleware/stack.rb:23:in `call'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/middleware.rb:32:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/rails_executor_wrap.rb:14:in `block in run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/activesupport-6.0.4.7/lib/active_support/execution_wrapper.rb:91:in `wrap'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/rails_executor_wrap.rb:13:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/progress.rb:31:in `with_progress_calculation'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action/progress.rb:17:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/load_setting_values.rb:20:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_request_id.rb:15:in `block in run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_request_id.rb:52:in `restore_current_request_id'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_request_id.rb:15:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_timezone.rb:15:in `block in run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_timezone.rb:44:in `restore_curent_timezone'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_timezone.rb:15:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_taxonomies.rb:15:in `block in run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_taxonomies.rb:45:in `restore_current_taxonomies'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_taxonomies.rb:15:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_user.rb:15:in `block in run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_user.rb:54:in `restore_curent_user'
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman-tasks-6.0.2/app/lib/actions/middleware/keep_current_user.rb:15:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/middleware/world.rb:31:in `execute'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action.rb:581:in `block (2 levels) in execute_run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action.rb:580:in `catch'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action.rb:580:in `block in execute_run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action.rb:483:in `block in with_error_handling'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action.rb:483:in `catch'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action.rb:483:in `with_error_handling'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action.rb:575:in `execute_run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/action.rb:296:in `execute'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/execution_plan/steps/abstract_flow_step.rb:18:in `block (2 levels) in execute'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/execution_plan/steps/abstract.rb:167:in `with_meta_calculation'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/execution_plan/steps/abstract_flow_step.rb:17:in `block in execute'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/execution_plan/steps/abstract_flow_step.rb:32:in `open_action'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/execution_plan/steps/abstract_flow_step.rb:16:in `execute'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/director.rb:69:in `execute'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/executors/sidekiq/worker_jobs.rb:11:in `block (2 levels) in perform'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/executors.rb:18:in `run_user_code'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/executors/sidekiq/worker_jobs.rb:9:in `block in perform'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/executors/sidekiq/worker_jobs.rb:25:in `with_telemetry'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/executors/sidekiq/worker_jobs.rb:8:in `perform'
/usr/share/gems/gems/dynflow-1.6.4/lib/dynflow/executors/sidekiq/serialization.rb:27:in `perform'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:192:in `execute_job'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:165:in `block (2 levels) in process'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/middleware/chain.rb:128:in `block in invoke'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/middleware/chain.rb:133:in `invoke'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:164:in `block in process'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:137:in `block (6 levels) in dispatch'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/job_retry.rb:109:in `local'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:136:in `block (5 levels) in dispatch'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq.rb:37:in `block in <module:Sidekiq>'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:132:in `block (4 levels) in dispatch'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:250:in `stats'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:127:in `block (3 levels) in dispatch'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/job_logger.rb:8:in `call'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:126:in `block (2 levels) in dispatch'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/job_retry.rb:74:in `global'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:125:in `block in dispatch'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/logging.rb:48:in `with_context'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/logging.rb:42:in `with_job_hash_context'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:124:in `dispatch'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:163:in `process'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:83:in `process_one'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:71:in `run'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/util.rb:16:in `watchdog'
/usr/share/gems/gems/sidekiq-5.2.10/lib/sidekiq/util.rb:25:in `block in safe_thread'
/usr/share/gems/gems/logging-2.3.0/lib/logging/diagnostic_context.rb:474:in `block in create_with_logging_context'

Thanks. I’ve checked out the hostgroup but is does not give me an option to set the remote execution proxy. Right now I only see subnets as possible selection. Would be nice if it could be extended to domain, realms, hostgroups and host. The DB schema is allowing that so I think it will be coming down the pipe.

It is related to the fix :confused: Looks like I was too hasty with it.

Here’s a followup https://github.com/theforeman/foreman_remote_execution/pull/744

That’s an interesting idea, although I’m afraid it would make the proxy selection process even more confusing that it already is.

It works now after applying https://github.com/theforeman/foreman_remote_execution/pull/744.

Thank you very much.