Foreman Birthday Event 2024 - Celebrate the 15th birthday

After many years of online networking, we are celebrating Foreman’s birthday on-site again! Address: Conference room, Parkring 4, 85748 Garching, near Munich, Germany.

We will be celebrating from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with an open ending!

We invite everyone to participate in our Call for Papers (CFP). If you have an interesting talk in mind that focuses on the use and development of Foreman, Katello, or Pulp, feel free to send your suggestions to cfp@atix.de. As a token of our appreciation, ATIX is inviting speakers to a dinner the evening before the main event. :plate_with_cutlery:

Space and cake are limited, so please register here in the meetup group: Foreman Birthday, Mon, Jul 15, 2024, 10:00 AM | Meetup

If you have any questions, feel free to write us here.

We eagerly look forward to meeting many developers and users from the Foreman community at the upcoming Foreman birthday party.

ATIX Team

12 Likes

The CfP is still open. Would be nice to welcome many more from the Foreman Community on this Birthday event!

1 Like

I wish I could be there in person! Are the presentations in-person only or remote as well? If they’re remote, I could probably get a demo in there for container push, which should be mostly developed by then. We could also look into doing presentations on any other topics if there are requests :slight_smile:

I am planning to attend (still need to figure out some details) and would like to talk about our migration from Jenkins to GitHub Actions.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m able to attend, but would like to talk about doing project management in open source projects.

2 Likes

Sadly I’m unlikely to able to make it, but I hope you have a great time.

My talk Foreman - a complete lifecycle management tool for desktops? was accepted!

This talk will take a look at Foreman’s capabilities which are designed as a complete lifecycle management tool for physical and virtual servers and how they transfer to desktops.
We will look into three use cases with the most simple being a virtual desktop used for testing and writing training material. The second are a number of training notebooks managed by our events
team running CentOS, reprovisioned and set up for specific trainings. A setup which evolved over many years adopting for newer hardware, operating systems, requirements and more. The third is based on a customer requirement moving from self-managed Ubuntu desktops to a more managed approach.
All this showed us that a Linux desktop is not totally different to a Linux server, but adds much more complexity than just adding a GUI.
In the end we want to answer the question if Foreman is ready for desktops and perhaps also if desktops are ready for Foreman!

3 Likes

So was mine! :wink:

CI in the Foreman Project: from Jenkins to GitHub Actions, lessons, problems, outlook

The Foreman project has recently moved big parts of its Ci to GitHub Actions, to allow better re-use of code between repositories, easier control of CI by repository owners and to reduce the maintenance cost
of infrastructure. As with any other migration, this was not painless, but we learned a lot, created many useful snippets and found more places for improvement.

In this talk I will share the benefits of this migration for developers, show how the created workflows can be used in other projects, but also highlight problems that GHA has over Jenkins and what we plan to do to fix these.

2 Likes

Schedule for the Birthday event:

09.30 - 10.00 Get together
10.00 - 10.10 Welcome
10.10 - 10.55 @Jan & @goarsna: “Automated Provisioning with SecureBoot and Foreman”
11.00 - 11.40 @tuxmea: “How Foreman Community enables new contributors”
11.40 - 12.00 Break
12.00 - 12.40 @evgeni: “Foreman build test environment: migration from Jenkins to GitHub Actions”
13.00 - 14.00 Lunch break
14.00 - 14:40 @Dirk: “Foreman - a complete lifecycle management tool for desktops”
14.45 - 15:25 @maximilian / @asteflova: “Foreman documentation: Helping users figure things out since May 15, 2019”
15:30 - 15:45 Break
15.45 - 16.30 @iballou: “New Feature: Pushing Containers Into Katello”
CAKE TIME :birthday:

4 Likes

Since my Container Push presentation will be remote, anyone can join via this link on Monday:

https://meet.google.com/ztm-gabu-yyt

I’ll join at the beginning of the break right before my presentation to get set-up.

5 Likes

Slides of my talk can be found at From Jenkins to GitHub Actions – press s for speaker notes. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @Bernhard_Suttner and ATIX for hosting us today! It was great meeting the community again in-person!

I will try to find some time to do a proper recap from my side and perhaps also to bring my slides in a shape were I feel comfortable of uploading them (as I have as always the feeling they are do not provide enough content without me talking).

3 Likes

And here are the slides of our talk :slight_smile: foreman_secureboot.tar.gz (497.3 KB)

3 Likes

“Foreman documentation - Helping users figure things out since May 15, 2019” by Anet and Maximilian: 2024-07-15-munich-foreman-birthday-party-docs.tar.gz (513.1 KB)

3 Likes

My recap blogpost come out today: https://www.netways.de/blog/2024/07/25/foreman-birthday-event-2024-recap/

1 Like