Foreman callback reports that requests is not installed after CentOS 8 Stream latest update

Problem: Hello I just updated the CentOS8 stream on one of my proxies, this update brings ansible-core 2.14. and the ansible remote execution (foreman callback) complains of python requests module not being installed. I think it has something to do with python3.11

Expected outcome: working foreman callback

Foreman and Proxy versions: Foreman 3.5.2

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions: ansible-collection-theforeman-foreman-3.9.0-1.el8.noarch

Distribution and version:CentOS 8 Stream

Other relevant data:

Thats’s correct. We have changes prepared to fix that (see: Use Python 3.11 for Ansible in EL8.8 by evgeni · Pull Request #9122 · theforeman/foreman-packaging · GitHub) but the “funny” part is, there is no python3.11-requests in stream yet :frowning:

Thank you for your very quick response. As always I was too rash with the update :cry:

For the time being, you can downgrade to ansible-core-2.14.2-2.el8 and it should work again.

And then, when python3.11-requests is available, you just got to install that and you’re good to go. No need to wait for our change, as that is only cosmetics to automatically pull in the right dependencies.

python3.11-requests is now available in CentOS Stream 8, so if you install that, you should be good to be using the callback with the latest Ansible again!

(3.5 and newer contains the above patch, so new packages will be installed automatically, for anything older, just install python3.11-requests manually and keep in mind that your version is not supported anymore and thus needs updating anyway :wink: )

1 Like

Well, version of which is unsupported ? There are so many dependencies and versions of packages that I am quite lost in it :wink:

With the release of Foreman 3.6.0 (Foreman 3.6.0 is now available) Foreman 3.4.z became unsupported, as we only support the latest two versions in terms of fixes etc.