Foreman Community Demo #101

Every few weeks we host a Community Demo to showcase new & interesting developments from the Foreman community. We encourage participation from any member of the community (although you do need a Google account), so if you’ve been working on something cool, please do come show it off.

This post is a wiki, so if you have something to show, add yourself to this table!

2021 Format Change

We want to pilot a change to the format of the community demo. In the same event, we’d like to split the demos into two categories. We’d like to trial grouping demos that are of interest to Foreman users together, followed-by demos that are of interest to Foreman developers. Depending on which is best, I will either split the recording or add chapters etc, whichever makes most sense.

If you have any feedback about the change to the format, feel free to comment here :slight_smile:

Depending on where it would be a better fit, please add yourself to one of the following tables:

Foreman user-focused demos

Foreman developer-focused demos

Hello everyone,

On a number of livestreams over the last 18 months, someone on the livechat will ask “what version is x available in”, and sometimes I don’t know the answer.
While the demo generally showcases the latest and greatest, some features are available in earlier versions too, for example @iballou’s demo last time had an enhancement of migration output in foreman-maintain as part of the migration process in 3.18.

I’ve added an extra column Lands in version as a reference for both myself and anyone else in the community to know when and where they can find the features.

If you have any thoughts on this, let me know.

2 Likes

Do we need a disclaimer that nothing is certain? Even if it’s merged, there’s no guarantee we don’t end up reverting it.

If you’re interested in a feature, I can recommend watching the Redmine issue. There we keep the Fixed in version field correct.

I could change it to “Expected in” to be more vague?
I could add a disclaimer to the YouTube notes that anything demoed could be reverted at any time. I have the redmines added for the last while so everyone has the option of clicking in and watching there.
I had discussed this with @Marek_Hulan and thought it might nice to provide a general frame for those interested but perhaps not interested enough to track each associated redmine.

I can see the benefit and especially for plugins it can help (because the version mapping may be unclear). Aimed at? Targeted at?

How about “Targeted for Version” ?

And I’ll add a disclaimer.

1 Like

I can imagine the disclaimer being in the agenda, however how often this really happens? Also if we revert something, should we also mention it on the next demo so the same audience is kept informed?

Sadly, not all plugins use this properly. I don’t think we have a single place we’d be tracking this. IMHO the demo is a good place to communicate the version which is intended to have to functionality.

I like his term from all the suggestions the most, though I don’t care much.

While we’re discussing the format change, could we also ask people to describe the Topic in one or two sentences? Ideally it should mention the motivation, the actual change or what exactly they will show. This would generate the agenda even more useful for people who don’t watch the whole video but would like to know, what’s new.

1 Like

I still hope we postpone a feature more often than revert and Foreman development is here already more accurate than many other software solutions. But yes, it could be nice feature of the community demo to summarize what has happened with the content demoed earlier like “feature xyz was merged since the last demo and so it will land in 3.x as expected” or “feature was postponed because of and will like land in 3.y instead of 3.x”. But this would mean more to do for Melanie or the one who did the demo depending who should be responsible for tracking.

2 Likes

Hi all,

The demo is happening this Thursday! Please sign up!

Link for the livestream tomorrow: Foreman Community Demo # 101 - YouTube

It’s not too late to sign up to demo something!

We go live in 2 hours. Join us! It’s never too late to sign up to demo something!

2 Likes

Timestamps have been added for last weeks’ demo.
Thanks to everyone who participated, asked questions, and joined us live!

1 Like