Foreman Community Demo #78

Every few weeks we host a Community Demo to showcase new & interesting developments from the Foreman community. We encourage participation from any member of the community (although you do need a Google account), so if you’ve been working on something cool, please do come show it off.

This post is a wiki, so if you have something to show, add yourself to this table!

Speaker Time Topic
@mcorr 5 min Introduction
@rabajaj 5 min Logout SSO logged in users.
@ezr-ondrej 5 min Ansible variables import
@MariaAga 5 min Recurring logics clear button and tasks select all
@dmatoulek 5 min Disableable users
@jeremylenz 5 min Katello: Subscriptions expiring soon: Email notifications & updated report
@cintrix84 8 min Katello: Tracer UI additions
@iballou 5 min Katello Yum Applicability with Pulp 3
@Jonathon_Turel 5 min Katello: Event Handling with Artemis
@Jonathon_Turel 5 min Katello: Simple Content Access in 3.16
@John_Mitsch 3 min Katello new Content View Page Progress

Sources of inspiration

Here’s a few places to find inspiration, in case you’ve forgotten what you’ve done recently :stuck_out_tongue:

All Redmine issues closed in the last 21 days
Only my Redmine issues closed in the last 21 days
GitHub PRs labelled “Demo-worthy”
(let me know if you have other good links to go here!)

This week we will experiment with returning to live streaming the demo.

Thanks for the demos!

I had to do some research before asking the question which is for @dmatoulek about disabled user. Have you thought about syncing the disabled state from LDAP if this is the authorization source?

This would be depending on the server type selected. For active directory it seems to be available via userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2, for freeipa nsaccountlock=TRUE and for posix it should be if any value is set for pwdAccountLockedTime.

Not sure where it fits UI-wise. It would make sense on the Attribute mapping tab, but if it is a select box only it would perhaps look odd. So perhaps it is more fitting on the Account tab similar to “Automatically Create Accounts In Foreman” as select box.

1 Like

Thanks to all who suffered through that livestream with me. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JZwAOuLKY

2 Likes

Hello, nope. I don’t know LDAP not enough to know that is able to lock user. It’s a good idea!

I will look at it, think about it and maybe, I will prepare RFC for that.

2 Likes

I’d be curious how important are live streams. We rarely get any questions live, I find myself preferring watching demos offline if I don’t present. Maybe you can research this and make stop for this suffering for once and forever. Questions could be answered under YT videos via comments.

Meeting live is important, but this format rarely goes into discussion. Alternatively we can schedule community chat or meeting where we can simply use Meet directly instead.

Just some ideas.

The suffering was in the unforeseen events. For example, I spent the last week testing the technical details of coordinating the upload speeds from my home network against bitrate transfers to manage any potential latency or buffering for the stream. I had to configure the connection so as the resolution was sharp enough for those tuning in to see the Foreman web UI or terminals, etc. I spent a lot of time testing and trialing going live with a friend sitting on the other end. I focused so much on that I did not even look at details like changing the Hangouts UI to display “Spotlight” etc. I knew there would be trouble on the first attempt but didn’t foresee where the trouble would lie.

On reflecting about this initial experience with some friends last night who also are running live events for the first time because of our current global situation, the crash and burn of the first ten minutes is more common than things going smoothly. Suffering seems inevitable :see_no_evil:

To be honest, I was quite surprised the stream held for the hour and that the viewer figures were so high.

Yesterday 48 people watched the stream live. The latency issues can cause problems for asking and answering questions. Perhaps there were fewer questions for new content demoed because like @Dirk mentions above, he needed to articulate his question a bit more before asking it.

Without the live sessions, would we ever have so many people tuning in to learn about new Foreman features at once? I am open to all ideas, and am interested in hearing about ways we can make these sessions more interactive. I’m also interested in hearing if people consider the live factor important. Since I have joined there has been a heavy emphasis on returning to live streaming.

Because the sessions are recorded, there is always the option to watch back.

Don’t get confused, chances are I am probably the only person who don’t prefer live events. But to articulate my ideas:

The format of our demo is a presentation of features. These were actually merged already, that’s our rule of thumb. There should (and must) be neverending discussion about everything, I just believe that the platform for this format (demo) as pre-recorded video is better. We could do a followup discussion the next day as a normal online meeting, which is I think better format for discussions.

But hey, if you or folks like this format I am totally fine with that. I will probably watch these the day after and then I will eventually start discussion here on topics which interests me. But that’s me. Everyone is different.

Take care.

1 Like

I agree with this and like @ehelms has started, I think that we should have more regular live discussions of RFCs to facilitate. Perhaps a blend of demo and RFC might be a solution to promote interactivity.

1 Like

Live-Event has advantages and disadvantages.

For me it is easier to explain I will watch the event live during work as I watch the recorded demo I could watch anytime. If I watch it later I typically skip through to those features I already know I am interested in. Something you could make easier by adding an overview in the description below the demo with timestamps like
“Disableable Users” presented by Dominik Matoulek at 14:54

For questions I know also from Icinga/Netways webinars it really depends on the topics covered if they come up live or afterwards. But if you watch it far later you will probably never ask a question that you would ask live when you can expect a immediate answer.

1 Like

For sure, Dirk, this is something that has come up several times and I will do that with this week’s demo and future demos.

3 Likes

I’ve added timestamps in the YouTube description!

3 Likes