Foreman Community Demo #93

Every few weeks we host a Community Demo to showcase new & interesting developments from the Foreman community. We encourage participation from any member of the community (although you do need a Google account), so if you’ve been working on something cool, please do come show it off.

This post is a wiki, so if you have something to show, add yourself to this table!

2021 Format Change

We want to pilot a change to the format of the community demo. In the same event, we’d like to split the demos into two categories. We’d like to trial grouping demos that are of interest to Foreman users together, followed-by demos that are of interest to Foreman developers. Depending on which is best, I will either split the recording or add chapters etc, whichever makes most sense.

If you have any feedback about the change to the format, feel free to comment here :slight_smile:

Depending on where it would be a better fit, please add yourself to one of the following tables:

Foreman user-focused demos

Foreman developer-focused demos

Thank you!

This happens next Thursday, please sign up!

This Thursday! Sign up!

I’d like to demo the upcoming content_rhel role for Katello in foreman-ansible-modules: foreman-ansible-modules/roles/content_rhel at develop · theforeman/foreman-ansible-modules · GitHub

This role automates basic setup of Katello to serve RHEL content to clients. That includes importing a subscription manifest, enabling the basic rhel7 and rhel8 repositories, optionally performing the initial synchronization, creating a sync plan for regularly scheduled future repository syncs, and creating a basic activation key to register and patch RHEL clients.

In the future, this role could serve as a blueprint and starting point for other roles which provide high level Katello configuration. For example it can be generalized to a family of roles which provide basic configuration for other operating systems such as CentOS. We can also develop roles that simplify and automate other workflows in Foreman and Katello, such as content view publish/promote workflow, or host provisioning.

I estimate it will take 5 minutes to briefly describe the role, apply it to a live instance, and demonstrate the applied configuration. I may update that time estimate if necessary after doing a test run of the demo.

We are excited to present this role to the community and receive valuable community feedback on the future of configuring Foreman and/or Katello with Ansible Automation.

1 Like

Demo is tomorrow.
Anyone have anything they’d like to discuss?

Link to the livestream: https://youtu.be/k0spcDCIYYU