Foreman discovery via PXE

Problem:
Booting Foreman discovery via PXE is super slow for me (takes half a day to complete). Fyi, i’ve foreman server in east coast and i’m trying to image a server in west coast.

Expected outcome:
Would like to know if there is a faster solution for this or it has to be both foreman server and client i’m imaging has to be in the same location?

Tried Foreman :: Booting Discovery over HTTP and it seem to be still slow.

Foreman and Proxy versions: 1.22

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Other relevant data:
[e.g. logs from Foreman and/or the Proxy, modified templates, commands issued, etc]
(for logs, surround with three back-ticks to get proper formatting, e.g.)

logs

Hey, why don’t you deploy a smart proxy on the west coast? It can do PXE service there so it’s faster. TFTP protocol is best on LAN.

Have you tried ipxe? Discovery iPXE EFI workflow in Foreman 1.20+

We use it to transfer a 3GB windows image in seconds rather than the 15 minutes it takes over our LAN.

@lzap,

Thank you very much for the info!

Right after i submitted this problem request, i’ve started playing with smart-proxy :slight_smile:

I ran into problems with smart-proxy setup as i was following Foreman :: Manual and it didn’t work for me because i’ve Katello installed on top of Foreman.

I was able to successfully install & configure smart-proxy by following Foreman :: Plugin Manuals. Discovery via smart-proxy is fast as i expected.

@sirinek,

I’ll try iPXE as well. Thank you very much for the info!

1 Like