Foreman-Hiera databindings

Using foreman_data_binding would replace hiera for data binding, without
writing a wrapper yourself I can't think of a way to use both in series.

However if you forget foreman_data_binding and just use Foreman as an
ENC, hiera data binding should function automatically for any parameters
that aren't specified by Foreman. The only minor disadvantage is not
being able to use Foreman to look up parameters for "inner" classes
(those not directly included by the ENC).

Another tool to look at is hiera-foreman, which uses Foreman as a
backend for hiera. I don't think this uses the new smart class
parameter support/interface in Foreman, just smart variables.

··· On 17/04/13 18:06, emzvargas1@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I would appreciate some guidance with this problem, since after some > goggling around i can't find seem to find the answer. > I'm working with puppet 3.1 and Foreman 1.1. > Basically i would like to know if it is posible to use Foreman as an ENC > (just for classes) and Hiera for data, using as well data binding. > Meaning if No data is found for the parameters in Foreman, do the lookup > in Hiera (similar to what Puppetmaster would do.) > I'm come across with a new plugin (foreman_data_binding) which in my > understanding applies data_binding, but within Foreman, despite this > functionality, much of our data is in Hiera, so i'd like to know if it > is possible to implement a setup like this without the need to > explicitly use Hiera functions within Puppet modules > > Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I decided to stick with Foreman(ENC)/hiera(DATA),
and as you said it worked automatically after unchecking the override box
in "smart class parameter" section.

··· On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:14:06 PM UTC+2, Dominic Cleal wrote: > > On 17/04/13 18:06, emzva...@gmail.com wrote: > > Hello, > > > > I would appreciate some guidance with this problem, since after some > > goggling around i can't find seem to find the answer. > > I'm working with puppet 3.1 and Foreman 1.1. > > Basically i would like to know if it is posible to use Foreman as an ENC > > (just for classes) and Hiera for data, using as well data binding. > > Meaning if No data is found for the parameters in Foreman, do the lookup > > in Hiera (similar to what Puppetmaster would do.) > > I'm come across with a new plugin (foreman_data_binding) which in my > > understanding applies data_binding, but within Foreman, despite this > > functionality, much of our data is in Hiera, so i'd like to know if it > > is possible to implement a setup like this without the need to > > explicitly use Hiera functions within Puppet modules > > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated > > Using foreman_data_binding would replace hiera for data binding, without > writing a wrapper yourself I can't think of a way to use both in series. > > However if you forget foreman_data_binding and just use Foreman as an > ENC, hiera data binding should function automatically for any parameters > that aren't specified by Foreman. The only minor disadvantage is not > being able to use Foreman to look up parameters for "inner" classes > (those not directly included by the ENC). > > Another tool to look at is hiera-foreman, which uses Foreman as a > backend for hiera. I don't think this uses the new smart class > parameter support/interface in Foreman, just smart variables. > > https://github.com/torrancew/hiera-foreman > > -- > Dominic Cleal > Red Hat Engineering >